2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by seand » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:07 pm

It'd be nice to think that Perth might still be in touch though. A little nugget like this under-21 player is a talent but he's unsettled at his League Two club could be valuable

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Rumours on Twitter of Linfield looking to swoop in for Gary Rogers. Would hate to see him go so hopefully a new contract is on the pipeline.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:12 pm

Cant see Rogers going, Isnt he working with the Meath GAA Panel or the FAI. Be alot harder for him to manage to travel up and down to Belfast. More bother than what its worth to play in a less competitive league. He is breaking records with Dundalk which I assume he would want to continue until he hangs his gloves up

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:32 pm

colymull wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:56 pm
Rumours on Twitter of Linfield looking to swoop in for Gary Rogers. Would hate to see him go so hopefully a new contract is on the pipeline.
The question is will they offer him more cash, thats what speaks at his age, although I do see him as a man of great nature and I am sure he knows what side his bread is buttered on. Also one would have to consider what DFC are planning player wise, are they going to change the player staff to get a step further in Europe next season, we have 2 other very capable keepers behind him. That does not mean I want to see him leave.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Rogers only has a choice to make if both clubs make him an offer.

There had already been reports that the club do not intend to make an offer
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Duffman
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Duffman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:55 pm

It'd be pretty unusual if not unprecedented if the chairman of the players union was playing in a different jurisdiction.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:42 am

After a bit of a ropey start with a couple of soft looking free kick goals conceded Rogers has been superb all season, particularly in Europe. Arguably our player of the season, I'd say.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:20 pm

seand wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:42 am
After a bit of a ropey start with a couple of soft looking free kick goals conceded Rogers has been superb all season, particularly in Europe. Arguably our player of the season, I'd say.
Apart from a spell in the second half of 2016 he's been very solid. He will turn 38 before the end of the season though. I'd be surprised if the club wasn't looking at a long term replacement. Talbot from Bohs would be an excellent signing but I'd be surprised if he wasn't looking at a move across the water
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by bigalan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:36 pm

Louth4sam wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:20 pm
seand wrote:
Apart from a spell in the second half of 2016 he's been very solid. He will turn 38 before the end of the season though. I'd be surprised if the club wasn't looking at a long term replacement. Talbot from Bohs would be an excellent signing but I'd be surprised if he wasn't looking at a move across the water
We have two very capable keepers already at the club

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:55 pm

bigalan wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:36 pm
Louth4sam wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:20 pm
seand wrote:
We have two very capable keepers already at the club
I honestly haven't seen enough of either of them to make that observation myself. If that's the option we go for I'd be confident of Perth getting it right
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:15 pm

McCarey was signed as the long term replacement, but he's looked a small bit ropey in the few games he's played. Generally coughed up one good chance. Although I suppose it's the sort of position that needs a decent run in the team.

Unless there's a sign of a deterioration in Rogers performances now I would have thought a one year extension makes sense.

There are no keepers in the League who look remotely as good as that Slovan lad did against us. Maybe that's the level we could get to - a football playing keeper.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Rogers has probably had his best season yet for Dundalk, be mad not to sign him up.

On James Rogers article... The club would be mad to be allowing English lads to be having a large say in the running of the club. Most English lads are hugely disrespectful to football in general in Ireland, and are ignorant of the dynamics around here and seem like they dont want to know either.

Dont get me wrong, nationality doesnt really matter, but the article mentions replacing Perth with Barmby and throwing money at low level English players, which screams to me forcing an English style onto an Irish club, which wont work. There is so much money at low level English football, anybody that is really good is going to be unaffordable.

One of the best things Kenny did was create a strong identity in the club, which Perth is continuing. Signing good-young hungry players and developing them, is really going to be the only way we can ensure consistant success at this level, not blowing money on has-beens and mercenarys. (Again, not to say signing an older English player is necessary bad, just would hate it for it to be the clubs overall strategy).
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

shep
Reserves
Reserves

Post by shep » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Hoban to Pats done deal is the latest word on the street. If so it certainly doesn’t reflect well for Hoban. It would imply he values money ahead of trophies. The only logical move I felt for him if he left Dundalk was to Rovers . A strange one of true.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:47 pm

shep wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:33 pm
Hoban to Pats done deal is the latest word on the street. If so it certainly doesn’t reflect well for Hoban. It would imply he values money ahead of trophies. The only logical move I felt for him if he left Dundalk was to Rovers . A strange one of true.
Yeh and I heard Mo Salah's going to Burnley.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:10 pm

shep wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:33 pm
If Dundalk have withdrawn the previous offer and don't offer a new deal, he will obviously sign for some other club. While I doubt any deal has been done, I don't see how opting for St Pats in this scenario would reflect badly on the player.

What would you suggest he should do?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.