2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Re: 2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:25 pm

Mandriou , Jack Byrne.

iloveduffy.com
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by iloveduffy.com » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:30 am

Johnnybegood33 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:25 pm
Mandriou , Jack Byrne.
For the role shields does? No way. Just like shields couldn't do what Mandriou and Byrne do. I'd happily have them all in our squad though.
In Kenny we Trust

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:38 pm

Shankland called up to Scotland squad after scoring 15 in 12 for Dundee Utd.

Either we missed out big time, or it was laughable that we were in for him in the first place.

On that note. Isn’t it the easiest job in the world to approach agents of players a bit above our League’s standards, knowing they’ll knock you back, then turn around to the fella paying you, shrug your shoulders and say ”not my fault chief, no one is interested in stepping down to League of Ireland, but I’ll keep trying *really hard*”

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:36 pm

El Paso wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:38 pm

Either we missed out big time, or it was laughable that we were in for him in the first place.
Maybe both?

His scoring record is phenomenal

34 goals in 41 games for Ayr Utd last season
15 goals in all competitions for Dundee Utd this season
13 goals in only 7 Scottish Championship games for Dundee Utd
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:47 pm

iloveduffy.com wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:30 am
Johnnybegood33 wrote:
Mandriou , Jack Byrne.
For the role shields does? No way. Just like shields couldn't do what Mandriou and Byrne do. I'd happily have them all in our squad though.
Am I the only one who thinks, based on what ive seen of him that Jack Byrne is not all what he is hyped up to be?

Surely must be some potential given he is in the Irish squads, but seen as he hasnt really performed against us this year I cant see why we should have atleast 1 maybe 2 players sniffing around the national squad.

Pepsi
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Pepsi » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:34 pm

Personally dont see what the fuss is with Byrne in the Irish squad. He is the love child of the Irish press and as a result the pressure to be seen to do something for the LOI results in him being picked, probably with a few words fromt he FAI in Micks ear. Had Dundalk gone further into Europe we would have had 1 or 2 also in the pecking order as his replacement. All about making things look good....same old FAI

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:31 pm

Carrick_Road wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:47 pm
iloveduffy.com wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:30 am
Johnnybegood33 wrote:
Mandriou , Jack Byrne.
Am I the only one who thinks, based on what ive seen of him that Jack Byrne is not all what he is hyped up to be?

Surely must be some potential given he is in the Irish squads, but seen as he hasnt really performed against us this year I cant see why we should have atleast 1 maybe 2 players sniffing around the national squad.
Thank you. I am slated for having the same sentiments as you. He smacked the crossbar in one of the games against us in tallaght. And supplied the ball for one of the goals in oriel but apart from that he wasn't all that at all.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:47 pm

Byrne didn't do much against Dundalk in the first 3 games between the sides but he was excellent in the fourth. He was sensational against Apollon (best Euro performance by a LoI player I've seen since Hoolahan) and Brann in Europa League and did really well off the bench v Bulgaria. It's good to see a deserving LoI player getting a chance. It's ok that probably the best player in the league this season didn't play for us.

That said he's certainly no better than Horgan 2016 (or Boyle 2016, Maguire 2017 or Hoban 2018) but for some reason himself and Burke have been given the opportunity that Horgan etc weren't.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Not sure I agree with folks on this and I'll get chopped out of it for not towing the party line, but I think he's well worth his place. He may "suit" European games and international football for the way the game is played at that level (patient, slow and technical) and maybe coaches at higher levels see that he is suited to that level, despite currently playing at a much lower level in the LOI (if that makes sense).

I agree Sean, how Daryl Horgan isn't even a squad play in the current team never mind 2016 form, and Ronan Curtis is, beggars belief. Pat Hoban though ....no.

I'd be wary of Byrne on cup final day. In the game in Oriel, shields just cut him out of it in terms of trying to thread ball through and forced him sideways on many occasions. He may get that space in the cup final.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:10 pm

I’m not passing any judgement on Byrne til after a cup final! I think he suffers from the players in front of him at Rovers not being very good. His ball control and just the way he moves are why he gets the plaudits.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ArFella » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:38 pm

Byrne is an excellent player in space, we never give him (or any other player) much space, hence he hasn't been that effective against us. He was superb against Limassol and Bulgaria where he was afforded the space that he thrives in. It's no surprise he struggled in England where the frantic pace of the game coupled with a 'hoof it up to the big man' doesn't lend it self to slow play makers, which conversely is why he excelled in Holland. I hope he stays in Ireland next season because it's great to have players of that quality in the league but I hope if he does leave he goes beyond the UK (Brexit might be further encouragement) to a league in which his technical ability can flourish.

Looking ahead to the FAI cup final he is the one man that worries me on the Rovers team, can create something out of nothing if given the space, which in the Aviva might not be that hard to find, I'm sure Shields will be capable of keeping him in check but it will certainly be the key battle that might decide the game on the day.
Mon the Town!

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:01 am

El Paso wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:38 pm

On that note. Isn’t it the easiest job in the world to approach agents of players a bit above our League’s standards, knowing they’ll knock you back, then turn around to the fella paying you, shrug your shoulders and say ”not my fault chief, no one is interested in stepping down to League of Ireland, but I’ll keep trying *really hard*”
Rumours in the Scottish papers this morning that Rangers were in for Shankland. If true, Id say we were well down the list of potential clubs he might join!!

James09
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by James09 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:45 am

Shayne Lavery scored 4 goals in Europe for Linfield and has banged in 4 goals last weekend in the league.

Could be worth a punt but I’d imagine he’s tied down to a long time contract at Linfield.
▒▓██ D █ U █ N █ D █ A █ L █ K █ F █ C ██▓▒

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:59 pm

It's starting to look like Linfield have realised the value of taking Europe seriously and investing in their squad. I don't think we'll be cherrypicking their players

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:18 pm

El Paso wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:55 pm
Alan Cawley said we're 'sniffing around Greg Sloggett' on the RTE pod this evening.
From last weeks Derry Journal
Midfielder Greg Sloggett says he has a number of factors - on and off the pitch - to consider before deciding if he can commit his future to Derry City for next season.

The former UCD man, who is believed to be a target of treble chasers Dundalk, insisted he will take his time over the decision but stressed his immediate focus is securing a European spot with Derry City.
https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... -1-9087111
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.