2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Carrick_Road » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:05 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:07 pm
The Greg Sloggett to Dundalk story gets another outing in the Derry press although it also says that he has had discussions on a new contract with Declan Devine.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/derrynow/ ... ggett.html

Would be a terrific addition to the squad if we were to get him and would put the pressure on shields to perform at an even higher standard than he already does.

Now, where do we get a striker?

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:38 am

Maybe a good number 8 might be the solution to the 'striker' problem. A striker thrives on service after all. It's not as if Hoban misses many clear cut chances. Most of our play is down the wings and he has to come short or wide a lot.

Pepsi
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Pepsi » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:05 pm

I have a feeling we have a player in the mould of an 8 in either Flores or Murray if they can stay injury free. Will be interesting to see how they come back after a good break and a full pre-season. Likewise I would expect to see more of Dummigan next season. Sometimes think we forget that not having that break when players move to the LOI can effect their first season greatly.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:17 pm

The 8 and 10 positions have been problematic to some extend right throughout the season.

Robbie Benson, Sean Murray. Jordan Flores*, John Mountney, Jamie McGrath and Patrick McEleney have all had significant problems with fitness or form (most of them with both!) at some point during the season. The unpalatable truth is that we don't know if Flores and/or Murray can consistently fill the void, simply because we have not seen enough from either this season

* Is a fully fit and firing Jordan Flores a number 8 at all?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Don't think Flores is an 8 personally. Enjoyed his cameo last week. Dancing feet that we don't see too often. But I'd see him as belonging in the attacking midfield trio.

I would think Dummigan will leave. He's worth money, he can't seem to break into the team, and they don't seem interested in playing him as an option for resting Shields, despite having played at DM for Northern Ireland. And I believe he has a young child in England also.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:25 am

El Paso wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:34 pm
Don't think Flores is an 8 personally. Enjoyed his cameo last week. Dancing feet that we don't see too often. But I'd see him as belonging in the attacking midfield trio.

I would think Dummigan will leave. He's worth money, he can't seem to break into the team, and they don't seem interested in playing him as an option for resting Shields, despite having played at DM for Northern Ireland. And I believe he has a young child in England also.
A possible option for Sunday?

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Midfielder in-coming?
It’s believed the Oriel Park side are on the trail of a midfielder, with Perth confirming that incomings are imminent ahead of 2020.

“I don’t think today was a season-defining game,” the Dubliner said.

“We have got areas to improve in our squad, but myself and the chairman have been working on that in the last month and we’re very close to improving our squad.
https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... wI.twitter
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:05 pm

We’ve utilised the squad well this year, but it needs to be a bit smaller. I’m genuinely worried about our budgeting and how the Americans are spending the club’s money now. We need players who can play a couple of positions.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by paul1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:57 pm

If we are to sign quality and it has to be a level up on what we already have , we are going to have to let players go we can’t afford to keep what we have and then add to it, personally I think left back and midfield are big areas we need to strengthen, but for instance if we strengthen midfield/wingers there is no way we can have Kelly, Mountney, Murrary,Flores,Shields, Benson ,McGrath and Duffy on the books as well at least two have to move on.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:21 pm

paul1 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:57 pm
If we are to sign quality and it has to be a level up on what we already have , we are going to have to let players go we can’t afford to keep what we have and then add to it, personally I think left back and midfield are big areas we need to strengthen, but for instance if we strengthen midfield/wingers there is no way we can have Kelly, Mountney, Murrary,Flores,Shields, Benson ,McGrath and Duffy on the books as well at least two have to move on.
I think if we are to strengthen in midfield, we most certainly have to get rid of some players.

Mountney being the most obvious choice, joint longest serving player but I think we have got the best out of him and if we are to strengthen he will be the first out of that crop of players id look to be moving on. Nice lad that has done a great job over the years, just not up to the standard. I think its a given that we need to keep Duffy, Mc Grath, Mc Eleney and Shields. After that who do you keep between Benson, Flores, Murray and Kelly. I like Kelly and think he can push on next season. Benson doesn't seem to be hitting the standards of previos seasons. Murray and Flores have potential and id like to see them have a chance and a run of games injury free.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Pats with SOD there will be the obvious route for some who will depart, a guy close to both Pats and Dlk suggesting online that two might be going this way, The LOI transfer one suggesting Benson might be one, if it is two the other might indeed be Mountney, it wont be Gartland as he's under contract to end of 2020. If Benson leaves, it might not be too much of a surprise, he has been excellent for us, won 3 leagues alone, but his injuries probably effecting him now, 2016 was most def his peak.

We need better quality in MF, too many were not at it for the full game yesterday in that area, Slogget would be a good addition, prob would need to go outside the league then for more quality.

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:51 pm
Midfielder in-coming?
It’s believed the Oriel Park side are on the trail of a midfielder, with Perth confirming that incomings are imminent ahead of 2020.

“I don’t think today was a season-defining game,” the Dubliner said.

“We have got areas to improve in our squad, but myself and the chairman have been working on that in the last month and we’re very close to improving our squad.
https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... wI.twitter
Probably Sloggert

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ArFella » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:02 pm

https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 1676113920

James Rogers reporting an imminent departure from Oriel Park, in a reply to someone asking if it is Andy Burton, James said "Already gone but close" hinting at CEO Mark Devlin.
Mon the Town!

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ArFella » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:12 pm

https://www.dundalkfc.com/chief-executi ... urn-to-uk/

Confirmed, now the search begins for our 3rd CEO in as many years.
Mon the Town!

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Yeah Mark Devlin gone. Spoke a lot of hot air in my opinion and spelling was atrocious in match day programmes. All sackable offences.

Seriously though, probably frustrated with what can get done at a LOI club, the pace of change and what can be achieved. All these names coming in seem to get a dose of reality after a short period of time. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk