2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby oldfogey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:42 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Do you know if a 2 year / 40 week per year contract ever been successfully challenged by a player?

Clubs have been successful issuing such contracts for a long time - while they may be theoretically open to legal challenges because of the break period, I know that the FAI have accepted single registration forms for the 2 season period.

Obviously now that we are running 52 week contracts this question becomes irrelevant to us (unless we are looking to sign a player half way through such a contract!)


If a player can claim JB then it's obviously in his interest to accept a 2 year 40 week contract as he has something for the following year. The only time a player might contest it is where a club decides not to honour the second year for whatever reason. I still maintain the player is not registered until his form is accepted by the FAI, and that can't happen until the club's budget has been accepted.



Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4802
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 327 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:41 pm

oldfogey wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
Do you know if a 2 year / 40 week per year contract ever been successfully challenged by a player?

Clubs have been successful issuing such contracts for a long time - while they may be theoretically open to legal challenges because of the break period, I know that the FAI have accepted single registration forms for the 2 season period.

Obviously now that we are running 52 week contracts this question becomes irrelevant to us (unless we are looking to sign a player half way through such a contract!)


If a player can claim JB then it's obviously in his interest to accept a 2 year 40 week contract as he has something for the following year. The only time a player might contest it is where a club decides not to honour the second year for whatever reason. I still maintain the player is not registered until his form is accepted by the FAI, and that can't happen until the club's budget has been accepted.


I know we are exploring the nuances here oldfogey, and we run the risk of boring those with little interest in the minutiae of this, but

1) If a player was on a 2 year / 40 week contract and wished to move club without a transfer fee (being able to negotiate a better deal for himself with the new club) then he would obviously be well motivated to contest the legitimacy of this type of contract if it was not watertight (Will Fitzgerald of Limerick is on such a contract and they allegedly want €40k transfer fee).

The absence of any such challenge tells me that the FAI have completely accepted the validity of this type of contract and registration for a long time

2) If you believe that a players registration is not accepted by the FAI until the club's budget for that season has been approved, what do you make of the situation with contracts and registrations for Sean Gannon or Patrick McEleney for 2020 season?

To answer my own question, while new registrations for the season may be dependent on FAI budget approval for the immediate season ahead,you can be absolutely certain that Gannon and MCEleney registrations were accepted by the FAI without any sight of a 2020 budget
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:57 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: RE: Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby Johnny Guitar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:48 pm

El Paso wrote:Didn't know that

I did know the 40 week thing was an annual salary divided into 40 instead of 52 so the players could top up with jobseekers, but you need a P45 to get Jobseekers, so some mustn't be doing that.
Not sure if that's true as I knowguys who work in Dkit who need to sign on in summer months

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby oldfogey » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:46 am

Ezeikial wrote:
oldfogey wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
Do you know if a 2 year / 40 week per year contract ever been successfully challenged by a player?

Clubs have been successful issuing such contracts for a long time - while they may be theoretically open to legal challenges because of the break period, I know that the FAI have accepted single registration forms for the 2 season period.

Obviously now that we are running 52 week contracts this question becomes irrelevant to us (unless we are looking to sign a player half way through such a contract!)


If a player can claim JB then it's obviously in his interest to accept a 2 year 40 week contract as he has something for the following year. The only time a player might contest it is where a club decides not to honour the second year for whatever reason. I still maintain the player is not registered until his form is accepted by the FAI, and that can't happen until the club's budget has been accepted.


I know we are exploring the nuances here oldfogey, and we run the risk of boring those with little interest in the minutiae of this, but

1) If a player was on a 2 year / 40 week contract and wished to move club without a transfer fee (being able to negotiate a better deal for himself with the new club) then he would obviously be well motivated to contest the legitimacy of this type of contract if it was not watertight (Will Fitzgerald of Limerick is on such a contract and they allegedly want €40k transfer fee).

The absence of any such challenge tells me that the FAI have completely accepted the validity of this type of contract and registration for a long time

2) If you believe that a players registration is not accepted by the FAI until the club's budget for that season has been approved, what do you make of the situation with contracts and registrations for Sean Gannon or Patrick McEleney for 2020 season?

To answer my own question, while new registrations for the season may be dependent on FAI budget approval for the immediate season ahead,you can be absolutely certain that Gannon and MCEleney registrations were accepted by the FAI without any sight of a 2020 budget


A multi year contract is accepted on its own merits, it doesn't get re-submitted each year. In theory a club could have everyone on 3 year deals, and have their budget rejected at the start of the second year because the projected income isn't sufficient. Given the financial difference between the "haves" and "have nots" of European qualification (or even League winners v runnersup) a club would be extremely foolish to go down that road without the backstop (bonus point for me!) of someone like Peak 6.

Getting back to 40 week multi year contracts, it may well be that the wording on the paperwork is not reflected in their payroll operation. I still maintain that you are no longer an employee once you are given a P45, even if the intention is there to take you back on in 3 months.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2516
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Dundalk
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby colymull » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Dane Massey signs a new 2 year deal. Great news IMO.
King Kenny!

User avatar
ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:11 pm
Location: Dundalk
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby ArFella » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:45 pm

colymull wrote:Dane Massey signs a new 2 year deal. Great news IMO.


Excellent news, the time for sentiment is over, we need to show the rest of league we are still the standard bearers for football in this country!
Mon the Town!

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2491
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 146 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby seand » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Good stuff. Just Benson and O'Donnell to be sorted out from last season's squad

User avatar
Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1042
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:40 pm
Location: Co Wexford
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby Wexford White » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:10 pm

colymull wrote:Dane Massey signs a new 2 year deal. Great news IMO.

Great news and the timing is very good too, especially following on on the disruptions of the last few days.
The Back of the Wall

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:10 pm

Dane for Captain.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:34 pm

Vinny Perth 3/1 . Neville 2/1 in Paddy’s.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:55 am
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby dell1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Garts has been a fine deputy to O'Donnell on the pitch so if anyone was get the captains armband it would be him. I'd probably have Gannon in ahead of Massey too if the issue was up for a debate. He was the first to commit to a long term deal and is plenty vocal on the pitch and can often lead by example if things are not going our way. Getting Benson signed up now and imo with the manager leaving Skip's influence and input off the pitch is just as important as him getting back to playing at full tilt on it!

User avatar
GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3414
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:32 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby GC. » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:41 pm

I think this shows that Perth will be manager but not necessarily in name.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:55 am
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby dell1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:Vinny Perth 3/1 . Neville 2/1 in Paddy’s.


Well we have a bit of a precedence of 2 favourites being appointed to manage a football team...

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:35 pm
Location: The Sticks
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby Townfan7 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:47 pm

This is great news & the tonic we all need after the past few days. Fair play Dane Massey.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4802
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 327 times

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:35 pm

dell1 wrote:
Johnnybegood33 wrote:Vinny Perth 3/1 . Neville 2/1 in Paddy’s.


Well we have a bit of a precedence of 2 favourites being appointed to manage a football team...


Mick Neville now and Vinny Perth in 2020?

It's all the fashion these days
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.


Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests