2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby El Paso » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:57 pm

marmulade wrote:Personally, I'm a big fan of McEleney playing in deep beside Shields. He's the closest thing to a like for like replacement, although he doesn't have O'Donnell's aggression in the tackle. Though, as a partnership, himself and Shields have a bit of everything.

Not as a two-man midfield, no way. We'd be overrun by anyone half decent. Maybe in a three man.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:37 pm

It appears to me that many supporters have been lulled into a false sense of security by virtue of the fact that we won the double last season.

If the limit of our ambition is to compete for a major trophy next season, I think we are in good shape right now. However if we have serious ambitions to retain the league and cup and compete in Europe we may not be as well equipped as some appear to think

If we entertain any realistic prospects of getting to European group stages our squad is seriously deficient, in my opinion

I sincerely hope and trust that the owners and management also see it that way and make some serious additions to the squad, especially in midfield, in this window
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: RE: Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby marmulade » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Ezeikial wrote:It appears to me that many supporters have been lulled into a false sense of security by virtue of the fact that we won the double last season.

I might get this quote framed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

iloveduffy.com
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby iloveduffy.com » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:06 pm

El Paso wrote:
iloveduffy.com wrote: Not a case of needing to replace him necessarily as we have done well without him so many times.

I entirely disagree with that, to be honest. We've done fine without him against the dross that is most of our League. He is exactly what we've been missing in the tougher games.

The only decent teams in the league over the last 6 years have been us, Cork and Rovers. We played 6 months of 2014 without O'Donnell. Within this time we won big matches against those teams in the league and the league cup final. He didnt play any games at the start of 2015 and by the time he came back we had a 6 point lead on Cork. We have coped many times without him and the team has done very well. He was a great player but was too worried about passing the ball sideways or back. Dundalk sport put up a stat about his passing vs bate. Something like 90% pass completion, but 75% of those passes were backwards to the defenders. We are in a great position and he will be great to have around the club. Wonderful servant who has been unlucky with injuries
In Kenny we Trust

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:14 pm

El Paso wrote:
marmulade wrote:Personally, I'm a big fan of McEleney playing in deep beside Shields. He's the closest thing to a like for like replacement, although he doesn't have O'Donnell's aggression in the tackle. Though, as a partnership, himself and Shields have a bit of everything.

Not as a two-man midfield, no way. We'd be overrun by anyone half decent. Maybe in a three man.

Where would Chris Forrester fit in?

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:30 am

I don't know.

To be honest I don't pay that much attention to players in other LOI clubs, so unless they play well against us I don't notice other players. I know Forrester got a couple of straightforward goals against us in 2013 and 2014, but I remember we tended to win midfield in those games so... ?

As for Skip I'll put it this way. It happened fairly rarely but every game I've seen us struggle in the last couple of years - I mean put properly under pressure - are the games where we've missed what he brought to us when fit.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:44 am

Twitter rumours suggesting we are front runners for Glentoran midfielder John Herron.... Get googling.... never heard of him

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:10 am

For someone to be deemed a legend they should have to perform feats that are legendary in nature.

If a player is told they'd never play again half way through a season and then to come back and score in their first start in a winner takes all game in the final game of the season to win us our first title in 19 is nothing short of a legendary act. Not only will O'Donnell be remembered for his class and leadership qualities but that Cork game is a game that anyone that attended will remember for the rest of their lives and O'Donnell was the star.

I like most are sad to see him retire but I think we've gained a very good man to have behind the scenes which has me a lot more confident about the management team
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 am

Louth4sam wrote:For someone to be deemed a legend they should have to perform feats that are legendary in nature.

If a player is told they'd never play again half way through a season and then to come back and score in their first start in a winner takes all game in the final game of the season to win us our first title in 19 is nothing short of a legendary act. Not only will O'Donnell be remembered for his class and leadership qualities but that Cork game is a game that anyone that attended will remember for the rest of their lives and O'Donnell was the star.

I like most are sad to see him retire but I think we've gained a very good man to have behind the scenes which has me a lot more confident about the management team

Let's not forget the disgraceful, cynical attempt to take him out of it in that game straight from kick off.

He also scored arguably the most important goal in Shamrock Rovers history- but everyone has their faults

Dillonman
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby Dillonman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:13 pm

That Ali reghba kid is expected to sign for pats
Drogs are scum!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm

A "must read" article by James Rogers on Stephen O'Donnell's career stats

http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/201 ... -odonnell/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

lilywhite66
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lilywhite66 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:32 pm

Stephen ODonnell imo was Kennys best signing a leader on and off the field best of luck to Dundalks most successful captain in his new adventure what ever that may be, he would be a great addition to Kennys u21 staff.

gavinmclaughlin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gavinmclaughlin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:51 pm

Caught up with Stevie this afternoon. Video below.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-o3k8i ... e=youtu.be

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:57 pm

The really, really great players pop up with match winning moments in the big matches when the pressure is on . SOD’s goal against Cork to win the title and the header against rovers in Tallaght in the cup semi when we looked out on our feet. If he didn’t do anything else, those two moments would have been enough.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:32 pm

Good interview with Skip tonight on Off the Ball. It's on youtube if anyone wants to listen back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycdVvUrjJA

Return to “General Discussion”