2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby Shoco » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:39 am

What has Jarvis done to warrant a place in his team of the season, he's not even first choice

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:48 am

Robbie Benson in the Irish Times. It sounds like he is likely to sign a new deal

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... 9?mode=amp
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:51 am

Shoco wrote:What has Jarvis done to warrant a place in his team of the season, he's not even first choice

Impressed Cleary in training and matches perhaps?

He may not be in SK's first choice team every week, but he has shown his quality over the season
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:25 am

Given the way Cleary and Massey barked at each other in Cobh I’m not surprised!

I love that proposed centenary team I have to say, although I’m more than happy with McEleney or Benson in the slot he put Sadlier

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:51 am

Good honest interview with Robbie Benson in the Irish Times today and an interesting comment on why he has previously been reluctant to sign a long term deal.

"..the inclination towards one year deals was the upshot of having that external option, he admits, although his reluctance to commit for the longer term seems to have softened somewhat.

“My initial view was that the league wasn’t so strong and that clubs sort of went in cycles so I could sign for Dundalk, Stephen could leave, the thing falls apart and then I’m stuck there for three years

But I think now that Dundalk are a very stable club, that they are going to be competing for titles and be in Europe for the next few years, that is something that you would have to consider too."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.3643629

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:09 am

White Horse wrote:Good honest interview with Robbie Benson in the Irish Times today and an interesting comment on why he has previously been reluctant to sign a long term deal.

"..the inclination towards one year deals was the upshot of having that external option, he admits, although his reluctance to commit for the longer term seems to have softened somewhat.

“My initial view was that the league wasn’t so strong and that clubs sort of went in cycles so I could sign for Dundalk, Stephen could leave, the thing falls apart and then I’m stuck there for three years

But I think now that Dundalk are a very stable club, that they are going to be competing for titles and be in Europe for the next few years, that is something that you would have to consider too."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.3643629

You are not dealing with a player of average footballers IQ here. Robbie, Im sure, has many options outside football also. He gets his point accross excelently on matters that he couldnt really mention earlier.
Although a lot of us feel he wasnt as effective this season, he is one of the first picks in a side that hes just reclaimed their crown. He also seemed to play a different role this season than in the past.

How good would it be if he signed a long term deal? Id be delighted personnally

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:16 am

bigalan wrote:How good would it be if he signed a long term deal? Id be delighted personnally

I would as well.

I'd be the first to admit that his performances have not been as good as I expected. However, I do have to remind myself that he has scored 9 goals, which is more than decent.

He has not realised his potential yet. I do not want to see him to that at Shamrock Rovers or another LOI club. I want him to do it here.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:37 am

White Horse wrote:
bigalan wrote:How good would it be if he signed a long term deal? Id be delighted personnally

I would as well.

I'd be the first to admit that his performances have not been as good as I expected. However, I do have to remind myself that he has scored 9 goals, which is more than decent.

He has not realised his potential yet. I do not want to see him to that at Shamrock Rovers or another LOI club. I want him to do it here.

Robbie Benson has been way too inconsistent this season, although it is obvious that he is very talented. He needs to find greater consistency - a viable alternative like Aaron McEneff might give him the missing focus and motivation.

Blackandwhite10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Blackandwhite10 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:05 pm

Shoco wrote:What has Jarvis done to warrant a place in his team of the season, he's not even first choice

He sees him every day in training and he's played along side him plenty this season It's not like he hasn't played at all

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Blackandwhite10 wrote:

He sees him every day in training and he's played along side him plenty this season It's not like he hasn't played at all

And so does Stephen Kenny and he picks Massey over him

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:59 am

Shoco wrote:
Blackandwhite10 wrote:

What is your point other than Cleary having a different opinion than Kenny?

I presume that you respect that not everyone has the same views?

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:49 am

Duffy to millwall on 6k a week? Anybody hear this rumour?

Blackandwhite10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Blackandwhite10 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:32 pm

Shoco wrote:
Blackandwhite10 wrote:

Is this Kenny's team of the year or clearys ...

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:06 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Shoco wrote:
Blackandwhite10 wrote:

What is your point other than Cleary having a different opinion than Kenny?

I presume that you respect that not everyone has the same views?

My point being that I find it odd that someone who is not first choice for their team and has played very little would make it into anyone's team of the season.

It was simply an observation

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:09 pm

Interesting paragraph by Ken Early today

Klopp and Sarri are both the type of manager that insists it is important to play stylish and exciting football. There is another type of manager that sees this first type as “poets” – that is, frauds. To the second type of manager, football is always and only about results. They measure success in trophies won and relegation avoided, and they are fond of cynical phrases like “if you want entertainment, go to the theatre”.

These managers are missing the point. They think the poets talk about exciting, positive football because they crave praise from the fans and the media. But the idea is not really to excite journalists or fans. The idea is to excite the players. The basic principle is that happy teams play better than unhappy ones, and a team is more likely to be happy when the players are enthusiastically working towards some positive ideal of the game than when they are sent out on the pitch worrying about all the things that could go wrong.

I instantly thought of Stephen Kenny and what our players say about him when I read that. It's why unheralded players flourish under him... maybe the players ear marked for the future are more left field than we're currently expecting?

Return to “General Discussion”