2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by El Paso » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:00 pm

We knew Burton had been given a 'recruitment' role for the club. And that was before Peak6 were bought out of Bournemouth.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.3747748
There is no firm news yet on the imminent involvement at Oriel Park of Andy Burton, the former Sky reporter and commentator, although it does seem that the one-time Capital Radio DJ is to have a role at the club despite a couple of local news outlets having to backtrack on reports that he would be handed the title “Head of Recruitment”.

For the past two-and-a-half years he has been working with Bournemouth FC as a “Senior Recruitment Consultant.” It is understood this role there is to be expanded so as to include some work along similar lines for Dundalk, where a reorganisation appears to be underway in the wake of Stephen Kenny’s departure and the appointment of Vinny Perth as his successor.
The club have never made a formal announcement about Burton having an official role or title at the club. It has always looked like just a consultancy gig, and my point is that through rumour alone it has been decided that a recruitment guy - who is not a member of staff nor on the board - was given the final say in contract negotiations within 3 months, over the heads of the Manager(s), the General Manager, the CEO and the Chairman. While also living in England.

Nonsense.

I know Hoban is almost universally loved and people want to believe conspiracies are forcing him out but the simplest explanation is usually the right one - Hoban has made demands the club aren't prepared to meet and I for one am already worried that we have a playing budget that's going to need European football every single year to help pay for.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:21 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:19 pm
This reference to Andy Burton comes in James Rogers piece of a few days ago which lead with the Flores injury
Despite Perth's assertions, Dundalk are understood to be actively in the market for a striker with recent moves by Andy Burton for Scottish striker Lawrence Shankland and Englishman Ashley Nadesan proving unsuccessful.

Dundee Utd, Sunderland and Hull City are all keen on Ayr Utd forward Shankland while 24-year-old Nadesan, who scored 12 goals in 40 games on loan at Carlisle United in League Two, has recently signed a three year deal at Crawley Town having moved from Fleetwood Town.
https://www.independent.ie/regionals/ar ... 70841.html
I listened to James talking to John Murphy on Saturday. I got the distinct impression he had an agenda against the owners, possibly on behalf of someone else. I hate when I hear people talk as if something was a fact, then provide nothing to back it up.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Adam wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:16 pm
Ezeikial wrote:
El Paso wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:39 pm
Well it sounds like horseshit. And I'm going to assume it's horseshit until someone with credibility says it's true.

In the meantime I'd prefer it if the club chairman wasn't expected to provide clarification every time someone starts a rumour. I suppose we were overdue another round of "the club have to come out and tell the supporters xyz"
Adam wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:46 pm
Agree entirely. Just because a few bods make assumptions doesn't make it necessary for the club to react.

As for Hoban, I hope we can find a resolution. If not, then we dont.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
There is no obligation on the club to say anything at all - indeed it could be argued that the club are better off saying nothing at all about the Hoban contract issue unless/until it is resolved one way or the other.

However, it does appear that Andy Burton has some sort of role at the club. If that is the case, it would certainly be interesting to get clarification on what that is.
I don't know where the position of "club should clarify" comea from. a couple of people on here have stated similar. Dundalk FC is a private company...I dont think they need to clarify who is doing what in the club...they're doing a good job, leave them at it. They dont have an obligation to tell us anything. The fans had their turn at running the club. That was a success...right Ezeikal?

A second point...Do we honestly think that the club that re-signed Boyle, re-signed Fats, got Duffy to sign on again, got Gannon to resign.....and resigned Hoban....do we think they dont know what they are doing?

A bit of reality here. Despite what we think about the great lad Hoban, if the club loom at him and think 1 year, then that's what is on offer. Do we think that (a) personality clashes between club and agent or(b) personality clashes between club and player would really prevent the best offer "for the club" to be made.

As you are replying to my post, I'm assuming that you are aiming this post at me and wondering why you choose to misrepresent what I said?

If you go back and read what I have already posted around Andy Burton, I have said that if he has a role at the club then it would "be interesting to get clarification on what that is". You seem to have spun that into some sort of a unreasonable demand from a private company, when it is no such thing

While I accept that you may no longer be interested in what roles various people perform at the club, it is only last season that you were encouraging fans to ask questions off the club

Adam wrote: In Kenny we trust, but as fans, we also need to ask some of the obvious questions - like how did Marco end up at the club?

I think you let yourself down again with your attempt at a personalised dig "They dont have an obligation to tell us anything. The fans had their turn at running the club. That was a success...right Ezeikal?" but then you have some history with resorting to attempts at personalised ridicule with the Jaffa cakes and peanuts rubbish references.

Surely you are aware that there are many fans currently involved in running the club - as there has always been - and doing so very well; Colm Murphy is just one example of a fan doing an impressive voluntary job.

While there are clearly limits to the amount and type of information that should be made public, football clubs would not function well if they decided to have no communication with their supporters. I don't see why the role of Andy Burton should be anymore secretive than say the role of Stephen O'Donnell, or Steve Williams. I would really like to hear your rationale for that.

To clarifiy what appears to be another misconception you have - I am delighted with the progress the club is making on the player signings like Murray McEleney, Duffy, Boyle and others; I think that we have the strongest squad in my living memory.

That does not preclude me from expressing concern or interest in signings - much like you were advocating previously about wanting to know how Marco Tagbajumi was signed!
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:49 pm

DFCTV interview with Brian Gartland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJuwRG827ZA
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Adam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Adam » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:03 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:34 pm
Adam wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:16 pm
Ezeikial wrote:

There is no obligation on the club to say anything at all - indeed it could be argued that the club are better off saying nothing at all about the Hoban contract issue unless/until it is resolved one way or the other.

However, it does appear that Andy Burton has some sort of role at the club. If that is the case, it would certainly be interesting to get clarification on what that is.
I don't know where the position of "club should clarify" comea from. a couple of people on here have stated similar. Dundalk FC is a private company...I dont think they need to clarify who is doing what in the club...they're doing a good job, leave them at it. They dont have an obligation to tell us anything. The fans had their turn at running the club. That was a success...right Ezeikal?

A second point...Do we honestly think that the club that re-signed Boyle, re-signed Fats, got Duffy to sign on again, got Gannon to resign.....and resigned Hoban....do we think they dont know what they are doing?

A bit of reality here. Despite what we think about the great lad Hoban, if the club loom at him and think 1 year, then that's what is on offer. Do we think that (a) personality clashes between club and agent or(b) personality clashes between club and player would really prevent the best offer "for the club" to be made.

As you are replying to my post, I'm assuming that you are aiming this post at me and wondering why you choose to misrepresent what I said?

If you go back and read what I have already posted around Andy Burton, I have said that if he has a role at the club then it would "be interesting to get clarification on what that is". You seem to have spun that into some sort of a unreasonable demand from a private company, when it is no such thing

While I accept that you may no longer be interested in what roles various people perform at the club, it is only last season that you were encouraging fans to ask questions off the club

Adam wrote: In Kenny we trust, but as fans, we also need to ask some of the obvious questions - like how did Marco end up at the club?

I think you let yourself down again with your attempt at a personalised dig "They dont have an obligation to tell us anything. The fans had their turn at running the club. That was a success...right Ezeikal?" but then you have some history with resorting to attempts at personalised ridicule with the Jaffa cakes and peanuts rubbish references.

Surely you are aware that there are many fans currently involved in running the club - as there has always been - and doing so very well; Colm Murphy is just one example of a fan doing an impressive voluntary job.

While there are clearly limits to the amount and type of information that should be made public, football clubs would not function well if they decided to have no communication with their supporters. I don't see why the role of Andy Burton should be anymore secretive than say the role of Stephen O'Donnell, or Steve Williams. I would really like to hear your rationale for that.

To clarifiy what appears to be another misconception you have - I am delighted with the progress the club is making on the player signings like Murray McEleney, Duffy, Boyle and others; I think that we have the strongest squad in my living memory.

That does not preclude me from expressing concern or interest in signings - much like you were advocating previously about wanting to know how Marco Tagbajumi was signed!
Too long, didn't read, have life, know how to use formatting.
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:27 pm

Transfer Posts on Twitter saying Hoban will join rovers at the end of the season.
My take :
If we don’t give into his demands, Rovers are the only team who can, so it’s obvious he’d go to them if we let him go
Rovers couldn’t afford Pat’s wage demands when he came back from England.
His agent is prob behind these rumours
From what I’ve read, some of the local media seem to be actively promoting his re-signing, while saying fcuk all regarding the other out of contract players.
I’ve a 100% faith in the club here. If they make the judgment that his demands are too high then so be it. I’d love to seem him in OP next season but not at the expense of putting the club in financial jeopardy.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 am

Adam wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:03 pm

Too long, didn't read, have life, know how to use formatting.
Most adults are able to engage in debate and discussion without resorting to jibes and sneers. Yours is a churlish and sullen response that barely merits any further comment.

thecaptain
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by thecaptain » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Recruitment is sweet FA do to with renewals lads ffs. Renewals are handled by the management team/ the CEO, MD and final say with Mike/ the consortium and the mgmt team then if it's within budget. Burton's giving a dig out here and there on stuff Bournemouth have on file or access to such as players they're tracking, scouting reports, contacts that would suit our level and if needed sussing if there's interest in coming over to us and so on.

Why should anyone's back of house full time/ part time/ contract work at a business have to be publicly confirmed at all? Front of house public facing roles such as Chairman, manager, coaches, players etc fair enough but I don't hear the pitchforks coming out about most if not all of the non front of house staff on this list:

https://www.dundalkfc.com/club/club-directory/

From what heard Hoban's agent wants a 3 year deal that would smash the current wage structure. As high as it no doubt is already you'd then have lads queuing outside the office door like they're us queuing for CL tickets if they give in to the agents demands.

The club offered a heavily incentivised 1 year deal to try meet Hoban and his agent half way and that's where it's at currently. Not the first time Hoban (and others) have believed the smoke being blown up their a*se and unrealistic advice coming from this agent either. Much as I think Hoban is brilliant, at LOI level, he didn't pull up trees when he went across the water at all and if he thinks he'll have takers over there or elsewhere in the league here that'll pay him what he's looking for then good luck to him.
Ian Foster: (On the expectations level at Dundalk): "That's why you want to be involved in management. If I don't do well I'll do my shopping in Newry!"

Ian Foster: Last seen heading for Newry.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:53 pm

Sir Alex was the master of knowing when to cut a problem player loose. Even the very best of the best.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:10 am

Reflecting on last nights game and in light of conversations with few knowledgeable individuals, I'm starting to wonder about the possibility that I've been looking at this from the wrong angle.

There is no doubt that the goalposts have moved since we blazed a trail in 2016. The Russian owner of Riga is one of a growing list of people who want to "create" a club capable of getting to the group stages on a regular basis, as do Peak 6. Mike Treacy may have caught the bug and is starting to see success as an end in itself, but the other owners are conspicuous by their absence - and perceived lack of interest.

Rightly or wrongly, GM appointed a new manager and funded a new squad following promotion from Division 1, taking the view that neither were good to guarantee we would stay up the following season.

I'm NOT saying that's what will happen here, but it's a possibility that could explain a reluctance to issue longer term contracts, especially if Hoban is not viewed as someone who could command a transfer fee.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:04 am

oldfogey wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:10 am
Reflecting on last nights game and in light of conversations with few knowledgeable individuals, I'm starting to wonder about the possibility that I've been looking at this from the wrong angle.

There is no doubt that the goalposts have moved since we blazed a trail in 2016. The Russian owner of Riga is one of a growing list of people who want to "create" a club capable of getting to the group stages on a regular basis, as do Peak 6. Mike Treacy may have caught the bug and is starting to see success as an end in itself, but the other owners are conspicuous by their absence - and perceived lack of interest.

Rightly or wrongly, GM appointed a new manager and funded a new squad following promotion from Division 1, taking the view that neither were good to guarantee we would stay up the following season.

I'm NOT saying that's what will happen here, but it's a possibility that could explain a reluctance to issue longer term contracts, especially if Hoban is not viewed as someone who could command a transfer fee.
I wouldn't be too worried about a perceived lack of interest from the other owners or their absence. Our owners are an investment company here simply to make money. Mike Treacy was appointed chairman and therefore the public face of the club. Probably a lot to do with his outgoing personality and what looks like a genuine interest in football. Take the Dragons Den on TV. Those "Dragons" that invest in the companies aren't down at the coal face getting their hands dirty. They are at the end of a phone giving advice when needed but basically just wondering when they are going to see a profitable return on their investment and the same thing is happening here!!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:09 am

A long term contract was offered to Boyle and accepted about two weeks ago.

Adam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Adam » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:31 am

El Paso wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:09 am
A long term contract was offered to Boyle and accepted about two weeks ago.
We have Gannon, Fats, Boyle, Shields, Cleary, Murray, Flores, D Kelly, G Kelly on long term contracts.

Let us not confuse the issues around (A) Club Ownership (and goals of that ownership) and (B) Pat Hoban.

Hoban wants big money, thinks he's worth another 3 years. The club doesn't want to offer that much money or the contract length. It's an impasse. Rovers are the only club that can afford him. Since all this started, his form has gone out the window, and as I've said in previous posts, I think this is an issue across the squad. People are not playing him in, as they know he's not putting in a shift.
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:11 pm

I have to agree with adam about people not playing hoban in as they know he is not putting a shift in. Look at the pot shots from distance and angles that duffy and mceleney were shooting from last night as a prime example. At one point in the first half duffy headed a ball in the riga half across the middle. Yes it was a ball in hope but if hoban had been alert he would have run to it and won the challenge. Instead he didn't even make any effort. The club the agent and the player need to sit down and sort this out now. Either agree a new contract or not. And if it is not agreed for a new contract then imho drop him cos while he scored a great diving header v derry apart from that he hasn't been putting 100% effort in for quite some time now.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:14 pm

I'm not sure exactly what "people not playing Hoban in" means, but I wonder if the suggestion is that team mates are intentionally not passing to him when he is in a better goal-scoring position, because of a perception of a lack of effort on his part?