Cork City V Dundalk | Fri 21 Sept | 7.15pm | Turner's Cross

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Fri 21 Sept | 7.15pm | Turner's Cross

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:29 pm

shedboy4life wrote:
I can’t see them rivaling us for much longer. There seems to be an underlying issue behind the scenes in Turners Cross.

They are going to find it really difficult. Even if we stood still, they are going backwards and the big reduction in guaranteed Euro prize-money is likely to bite into their budget On top of that they have a lot of under-performing players contracted for next season:

Mark McNulty (2019)
Danny Kane (2019)
Alan Bennett (2019)
Aaron Barry (2019)
Gearoid Morrissey (2019)
Conor McCormack (2019)
Graham Cummins (2019)
Damien Delaney (2019)
Ronan Coughlan (2019)
Karl Sheppard (2019)
Conor McCarthy (2019)
Colm Horgan (2019)
Cian Murphy (2019)
Garry Buckley (2019)
Seán McLoughlin (2019)

McNulty, Kane, Bennett, Barry, Cummins, and Delaney have all seriously underwhelmed this season, while there are other low key players in that list, including Murphy, Horgan and McCarthy. According to a national journalist Delaney could be on €1,500 per week which presents a big dilemma considering his recent form and age. It's a big job for Caulfield or a new manager to sort that squad into a competitive title challenging team.

Rovers may well be the bigger challenger

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:09 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:Leesider absolutely no excusing what McNulty did. Wasn't needed. And showed a distinct lack of professionalism and class from both himself personally and the club as a whole. Am sure it drove our players on even more to reclaim our title.

It's a bit ridiculous that we are still talking about McNulty's choice on how to celebrate his club winning some silverware. It was of course not his finest moment and at face value showed an obsession with beating one other club rather than focusing on his own clubs success. By virtue of it still being mentioned we ourselves seem a tad too focused on the incident and getting under our skin far too much. There was a reasonable observation by some Cork fans at the time that he was really sounding off (2nd time) at the general lack of credit being given to Cork for winning the double in non Cork based media. I can see the logic behind that and with drink on board well its just idiotic and no more. The irony is that that 'message' was lost by the way that some Cork fans on social media shut down conversation and or any questions on what he was at as to do so was/is seen as criticism of CCFC. Tbh I find it more amusing than insulting. It didnt do him any favours either as as the cartoon villain when playing particularly in Oriel he was under additional pressure not to make any gaffes and thats what happened and he cost Cork points.

The blind double standard on whats thought o the respective managers is also amusing or how they are held to different standards in Cork. Seemingly Stephen Kenny is the only manager to complain about the state of a pitch for example. Caulfield would never have a moan or get caught up in the heat of the moment like.

The Karl Sheppard stuff this time last year is an odd one too. Regardless of the change of heart in the end, the player was courting himself to a main rival without letting his club know what he was at before seasons end. But because Stephen Kenny didnt deny that there was contact between Dundalk and a key Cork player, so being truthful in other words and his integrity gets a bashing. He has many great traits as a manager but a master of the media mind games he isnt, we all know that. But Sheppard had at least some responsibility for potentially disrupting preparations for a cup final but got a free pass.

I dont recall Cork fans being banned or attacked in posts here in any severe way, for posts that werent pushing the limits of conduct befitting of grown ups. even if intended as a wind up. Only the mods can confirm this of course but I doubt 'there are plenty' as claimed.

gavinmclaughlin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gavinmclaughlin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:19 am

Video diary of Dundalk FC’s trip to Turner’s Cross for the vital SSE Airtricity League game with Cork City on Friday, September 21st 2018.

Link: https://dundalksport.ie/dundalk-fc-vide ... d288852589

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:23 am

I don't care about what McNulty did. It's simply a helpful reminder when someone starts some 'both sides do it' crap - like Trump and the Nazis - that actually both sides don't.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:55 pm

Interesting article that features the normal level headed Brian Gartland, who continues to talk a lot of sense

Brian Gartland reveals the game that was central to Dundalk's recent success - and it's not what you think
The Lilywhites are on the cusp of securing a fourth league title in five seasons

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... l-13297354
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:04 pm

Brian Gartland identifying the 2014 Setanta Cup final made me curious to look back at the teams

Six of the team - Gartland, Sean Gannon, Dane Massey, Chris Shields John Mountney and Pat Hoban - that featured in that cross-border Setanta showpiece started Friday’s win at Turner’s Cross.

Dundalk
Cherrie
Gannon | Gartland | Boyle | Massey
Shields | Towell
Meenan | Mountney | Horgan
Hoban

Subs
K Byrne | Griffin | Higgins | S Kelly | McMillan | Rossiter | Sava

Gary Rogers and Ross Gaynor started for Sligo while Sean Maguire was an unused sub

We are dominant throughout and it's a game that we really should have won comfortably

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:50 pm

If i recall correctly Gary pulled off an unbelievable save that day.. game should have been abandoned. Ball was sticking on the pitch. Sligo had a terribly small crowd at the game.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:35 am

I remember the water cascading in through the wall, shopping centre end , run off off the road. Following season SDCC spent significant money upgradng the pitch drainage system and redirected the run off properly in to public drains and not just the surface low point as the Tallaght Stadium pitch would be. I still cant believe the game wasnt at least suspended for a bit in hope that conditions would improve. Even then we were still getting forward and it felt like it was only a matter of time before we scored but time ran out.

For the perception that we were rebuilding almost each season there is remarkable continuity in the squad since and a most of player changes were strengthening the squad.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:30 pm

The weather was that bad that day that Setanta lost their TV coverage!! Will never understand how it wasn’t called off.
King Kenny!

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:06 pm

I always assumed the game was played to a conclusion as it was on television and Setanta had a vested interested in getting it done. Dunno though, surely they could have televised a replayed final too. The ref should at least have taken the players off for a period, it was not safe and that should be the ref's number one priority.

All that said, I remember thinking at the time that it would be a key moment for us. It was a time for the players and management to decide whether they'd been unlucky with the rain, unlucky not to take chances etc or to decide that they'd kick on and make their own luck. Some clubs and teams settle for the hard luck story, some rail against it. Clearly, Kenny and Dundalk embraced the pain and disappointment and used it as motivation. That game and the 1-0 defeat at Pats at the end of 2013 were the making of the greatest team the league has ever seen.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Absolutely. We were already better than Pats by the end of 2013. I remember two red card challenges, one right after kick off, on Towell that the ref let go. They bullied us that night. Tweeted during the game that we were better and got slaughtered by Pats fans. A few months later when we demolished them - the 39 pass goal - one came back to me to say I was right. 2013 was the making of us.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:02 pm

El Paso wrote:Absolutely. We were already better than Pats by the end of 2013. I remember two red card challenges, one right after kick off, on Towell that the ref let go. They bullied us that night. Tweeted during the game that we were better and got slaughtered by Pats fans. A few months later when we demolished them - the 39 pass goal - one came back to me to say I was right. 2013 was the making of us.

Buttimer sending off Shields and Meenan against Drogheda stopped us from winning the cup that year as well as any chance in the league
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:41 pm

El Paso wrote:Absolutely. We were already better than Pats by the end of 2013. I remember two red card challenges, one right after kick off, on Towell that the ref let go. They bullied us that night. Tweeted during the game that we were better and got slaughtered by Pats fans. A few months later when we demolished them - the 39 pass goal - one came back to me to say I was right. 2013 was the making of us.

I was hoping for the sort of collapse that Buckley's Athlone had our non Station Rd promotion from Division 1. Pats had that professional edge to get over the line and we lacked that experience obviously. We are now the best exponents in the league of doing what is needed and when even if it is slowing down a game with a dodgy injury.

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:50 am

One match ban for Caulfield according to himself in The Examiner

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 72601.html

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:08 pm