Dundalk V UCD | Fri 28 Sept | 7:30pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup Semi-Final

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V UCD | Fri 28 Sept | 7:30pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup Semi-Final

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:48 pm

White Horse wrote:
Townfan7 wrote:Perhaps not just Mountney but generally I thought the team looked somewhat jaded however, they did enough & deserved to win the game against a well organised UCD side.

The reason they were jaded was due to UCD controlling most of midfield possession and making Dundalk work hard to close them down.

Listen to Patrick McEleney's interview on RTE and one of the first things he said about the game was that UCD "made us run a wee bit".

It may have been said in a understated manner, but that is a serious compliment to UCD.

Teams who don't have Dundalk's phsical fitness and quality on the bench would have been there for the taking by UCD in the last 30 minutes. That is the way they play and how they will win games next season.

Or possibly 3 games in 7 days??? Away to cork last friday home to derry Tues and FAI Cup semifinal last night. None of these were easy games apart from the first 45 v Derry. We had to be on top of our game and keep the momentum going with a high tempo for all 3 of those games.

Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

thecaptain
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby thecaptain » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Louth4sam wrote:I couldn't believe UCDs fitness last night. I expected them to fade badly in second half but they are possibly the fittest side we've faced domestically this season. Looks like a shrewd move nabbing their fitness coach now

Aye, we nicked their S&C coach after Graham Byrne left this season and his right hand man took over from him then and it's been business as usual for them since. Big difference in UCD's strength & conditioning, fitness, nutrition etc since Collie O'Neill came in there over the last few years, similar to how we went about it when SK came in, makes a big difference.

Thought it was a great advert for the league, two teams playing proper ball and what a goal from Fats! UCD lacking in that bit of experience obviously enough and a final ball/ finish but they were superb to be fair to them. They'll have no bother finishing comfortably mid table next season.
Ian Foster: (On the expectations level at Dundalk): "That's why you want to be involved in management. If I don't do well I'll do my shopping in Newry!"

Ian Foster: Last seen heading for Newry.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:46 pm

3 games in 7 days was tough and even with the bit of disruption to momentum with substitutions against Derry there were signs of tiredness in the way we got a bit sloppy and conceded the two goals. But if UCD had given us the ball and let us keep possession the fatugue wouldnt have been as evident.
I was really impressed with the way UCD played and were fearless. If they had still had their top striker we could have been in a bit of trouble. Kelly was a shrewd signing in hindsight as it turned out though nobody would have known we'd have drawn UCD in a cup semi.
I also think if we were up against teams like UCD that make us work without dominating possession more often domestically we'd be a bit better off for when in Europe. As it is we are used to dominating teams with the lions share of possession in the vast majority of games up until we play European sides so more UCD like opposition in the league would be a benefit if not at least a breath of fresh air.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:04 pm

We came through the week with flying colours. Won the “ League “ , & got to the Cup Final , in November . Have 5 weeks now to shuffle the squad . Give Georgie Kelly game time & 4 or 5 more.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:06 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:We came through the week with flying colours. Won the “ League “ , & got to the Cup Final , in November . Have 5 weeks now to shuffle the squad . Give Georgie Kelly game time & 4 or 5 more.

Still no news about a new stadium though...

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Hoban is playing his best football of the year. The last 3 games every ball that has gone in to him has stuck. He then holds off whatever defender is all over him and lays it off. I reckon he’ll score even more next season

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:01 pm

How refreshing was it to see an away team actually try to play football in Oriel. Although I didn't really feel we were under pressure at any time, if Cleary had of been sent off, we could have been in a bit of bother.

Good luck to the students next season and with nearly all of their squad remaining at college, they will have excellent chance of staying up. Its a pity the cannot encourage some of their 33,000 students to attend matches!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:28 pm

Cleary should have walked but I'm not sure it would have altered the outcome - lovely footballers but toothless, we could have replaced one of the midfield 5 with Jarvis and tucked Massey inside and we'd have been fine.

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:59 pm

On the Cleary incident, yes he should have walked and only for our hounding the ref in the immediate aftermath ( Chelsea under Mourhino style ) he may have walked.

dieseldlk
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby dieseldlk » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:26 am

Don't think so Alan as ref had yellow out before he blew the whistle. Yes it should have been a straight red.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:40 am

I think the fact yer man got up straight away also helped

Durant77
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Durant77 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:43 pm

oldfogey wrote:Good interview with Chris Shields by 98FM ahead of Friday's game.
paris airports transfers
https://twitter.com/CaoimhinReilly/stat ... 05569?s=19

So cool, il like that

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Did not want to start a cup final thread for this post hence using the semi final one. No rucksacks were allowed in to the Aviva last year. I expect will be the same again but worth checking out. It left lots of unhappy punters mainly families with picnics and extra clothes for kids. Please spread the word

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Should have added only bags smaller than A4 allowed last year. Interestingly Croke Park seemingly has no such rules

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:52 pm

At the end of the day being a parent yes it is an absolute pain in the ass, but it is for all our safety after stade des france. I always open my bag going into oriel. But how are the cans still getting in!?!!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Return to “General Discussion”