Dundalk V St Patricks Ath | Fri 5 Oct | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Dundalk V St Patricks Ath | Fri 5 Oct | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Postby marmulade » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:26 pm

His quick feet are only worthwhile if he's on the ball, and if it's too crowded in the No 10 slot, then he's ineffective. For example, see his somewhat anonymous performances against Cork last year.

Add to that the fact that the back 5 or 6 played at a pedestrian pace against UCD and Pats. McEleney's performance deeper against Derry was a huge contrast there, so I think he can have a considerable impact there. That said, I don't want to read too much into a single performance against a very limited Derry side.

Food for thought.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:51 pm

marmulade wrote:I found the decision to replace Benson with Mountney a little strange. Against Derry, he played McEleney in next to Chris Shields, and he had an absolute stormer, but since then, Benson has been back in there.

Despite his stunning goal against UCD, McEleney has really struggled to get on the ball when playing further forward since. Teams are defending in numbers, and making it very difficult for him. Personally, I'd love to see him get another chance to play deep, instead.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I thought Murray was the perfect replacement for Benson. To put Mountney on before him seemed a bit odd to me, especially as he ended up putting Murray on in that position. Anyway, alls well that ends well.
King Kenny!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:38 pm

Agree, I like Mountney on the right of a midfield three, not as much when he’s further forward on the right of an attacking midfield three. I’d even have him as a right back in an emergency. But him and Shields as a central midfield pair? Not for me Clive.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:22 pm

A lot of fans will and have been critical of Benson, I'll add my bit in saying I think he should be doing more.

However, I always think he compliments the vast different style that Shields has and they work almost perfectly together, one sits and the other goes forward. Benson's contribution can be missed at times with his short passing, and movement and I think this was missed when he went off on Friday.

I still think he can do more and he didnt have a great season, in saying that I`d still start him, he has the potential to do more.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:01 pm

colymull wrote:I thought Murray was the perfect replacement for Benson. To put Mountney on before him seemed a bit odd to me, especially as he ended up putting Murray on in that position. Anyway, alls well that ends well.

I was puzzled as to why Stephen Kenny waited to the 67th minute before introducing Ronan Murray at No10. It certainly gave us much more balance with Mountney going wide and McEleney dropping in to the No8 position. The game was crying out for this switch.

The match highlighted the two most important areas to be strengthened for next season, now that Michael Duffy has re-signed - central midfield and wide right
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Return to “General Discussion”