Dundalk V St Patricks Ath | Fri 5 Oct | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V St Patricks Ath | Fri 5 Oct | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Postby Louth4sam » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:30 am

Wexford White wrote:Two comments: We seemed to struggle without Benson.
Murray was impressive.

Benson going off was an eye opener for a lot of fans as we were a far poorer side without him. The O'Donnell and Chvedukas injuries left us short of options in the centre of midfield and something Kenny should be looking at for next season.

"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:38 am

Wexford White wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:It was a brilliant finish to a very ordinary match.

Two things that were re-confirmed tonight
1) Pat Hoban is a fantastic centre forward who is a scoring machine
2) Dylan Connolly hasn't got it and is unlikely ever to find it

You're 100% right. Sadly, Connolly is a perpetual disappointment.

while you are all indeed correct about Connolly, today is not the time for player bashing. Save this for another day. let's just reflect in the glory of another title success. the entire squad have all played their part in claiming out 13th title and 4th in 5 seasons.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:28 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Wexford White wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:It was a brilliant finish to a very ordinary match.

Two things that were re-confirmed tonight
1) Pat Hoban is a fantastic centre forward who is a scoring machine
2) Dylan Connolly hasn't got it and is unlikely ever to find it

You're 100% right. Sadly, Connolly is a perpetual disappointment.

while you are all indeed correct about Connolly, today is not the time for player bashing. Save this for another day. let's just reflect in the glory of another title success. the entire squad have all played their part in claiming out 13th title and 4th in 5 seasons.

This belongs in the "only say good things" thread.

There are regular attempts at a form of censorship here, where anything remotely construed as negative is not acceptable to some, even though they see it as being correct or fair.

I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Today is indeed a day to celebrate a fantastic achievement, but any day is a day to make an honest and fair comment
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:39 pm

Of course you are always right Colm. Why detract from a title success by saying so and so is a shit player? Sometimes it is better to say nothing at all. There has been 32 weeks where you can slate a player and there is another 4 weeks to go.. for 1 day how about less of the smart arse and let all the players have their moment in the sun? I am not a censor just saying enjoy the title success leave the player bashing til Monday. Bottom line is, he is a title winner and will go into the record books as one. Or maybe contact Stephen and tell him your opinion... for what it's worth I am of the same opinion now as the majority on here, but time and a place.. and celebrating a title success while berating one of those title winning players is not the time..
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:18 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Wexford White wrote:You're 100% right. Sadly, Connolly is a perpetual disappointment.

This belongs in the "only say good things" thread.

There are regular attempts at a form of censorship here, where anything remotely construed as negative is not acceptable to some, even though they see it as being correct or fair.

I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Today is indeed a day to celebrate a fantastic achievement, but any day is a day to make an honest and fair comment

You and I would disagree in jest but generally would be on the same page. Today there's not room for many in your lifeboat. Sorry.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:34 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:Of course you are always right Colm. Why detract from a title success by saying so and so is a shit player? Sometimes it is better to say nothing at all. There has been 32 weeks where you can slate a player and there is another 4 weeks to go.. for 1 day how about less of the smart arse and let all the players have their moment in the sun? I am not a censor just saying enjoy the title success leave the player bashing til Monday. Bottom line is, he is a title winner and will go into the record books as one. Or maybe contact Stephen and tell him your opinion... for what it's worth I am of the same opinion now as the majority on here, but time and a place.. and celebrating a title success while berating one of those title winning players is not the time..

I am certainly not seeking to detract from the joy of winning a title and am surprised that you or others could get so deflated by such a casual observation.

I have neither "slated" nor "berated" anybody nor do I believe that there was anything even remotely "smart arse" about my original understated comment which was far from "player bashing". If you see it differently I respect your right to offer that opinion

I stand over my observations on both players I mentioned in relation to their performances in last nights match, but regret that it appears to have upset you.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:55 pm

I still regard Connolly as a perpetual disappointment - if that's OK with everybody............
The Back of the Wall

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:01 pm

This is the thread about the actual match, wider context notwithstanding. It’s ok to talk about the match itself, which had a lot of interesting talking points: The number of free kicks given away in dangerous positions. Our own ineffective set pieces. As someone said, how dysfunctional we looked without Benson, which was a surprise. The slowness of a lot of our play. There’s nothing wrong with talking about these things, they’re not personal insults.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Away from the player & Gerry Malone bashing for a moment.....

Yes, last nights match was at times hard to watch, perhaps the team were over anxious to get over the line but they saved the best to last. What a pass from Mc Eleney to Hoban to finish superbly & Oriel erupted with the joy of yet another title victory.

To think this is 4 from 5 is unprecedented for Dundalk FC anyway, what a team & what a manager. Stephen Kenny popped in to the Enda Mc Guill afterwards & gave a resounding speech which I believe came straight from the heart. Stephen stayed a good while with the support, shook hands, signed autographs & had a photo or two. Things can & will only get better, we continue to be in a great place & surely there is more to come starting with the Cup Final a month hence.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Townfan7 wrote:Away from the player & Gerry Malone bashing for a moment.....

Gerry Malone is a one-of-a-kind legend. I think we are better off for characters like him who are passionate about all things Lilywhite. Commenting on his eccentricities and promoting his player interviews is very far from"bashing".

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:13 pm

What a night of celebration, took me almost all day to recover but its all worth it. Every league title is important and winning no 13 is as magical as the first one I can really remember from 1978/79, although I do have vague memories of 1976, but quite distant.

There is just nowhere better to be after a title winning night, that one of the bars in the ground, to feel the passion and lap up the atmosphere and sheer joy from talking to fellow supporters, whether its the Enda McG in my case or the Lilywhite for those who prefer that. You will never get too old to enjoy nights like this.

Not so sure about leaving Ridleys though at stupid o'clock !

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V St Patricks Ath | Fri 5 Oct | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Postby Sneachta » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:18 pm

Wexford White wrote:Two comments: We seemed to struggle without Benson.
Murray was impressive.
Yes, Murray should've been on earlier. The guy was on LOI team of the year and has gallons of quality. He was the only one who took a shot on target the whole game (twice) and his quality of delivery was top drawer. There was a lad in the stand berating the sh**e out of him, I held my tongue for long enough and had to tell him to shut ta f**k up and asked him what game he was watching. Could he not see the difference in the team after Connolly was whipped off. Some miserable c***s in the stand. Apologies for the language.

We couldn't get going last night but all was forgotten with the last minute goal. Well done lads.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:57 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Townfan7 wrote:Away from the player & Gerry Malone bashing for a moment.....

Gerry Malone is a one-of-a-kind legend. I think we are better off for characters like him who are passionate about all things Lilywhite. Commenting on his eccentricities and promoting his player interviews is very far from"bashing".

Sad that you only reflected on the Gerry Malone aspect of my post, anyway, your continuos sarcasm of Gerry, most times he puts up an interview leaves little to be desired with me.

C'MON THE TOWN:

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby marmulade » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:39 pm

I found the decision to replace Benson with Mountney a little strange. Against Derry, he played McEleney in next to Chris Shields, and he had an absolute stormer, but since then, Benson has been back in there.

Despite his stunning goal against UCD, McEleney has really struggled to get on the ball when playing further forward since. Teams are defending in numbers, and making it very difficult for him. Personally, I'd love to see him get another chance to play deep, instead.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:32 pm

marmulade wrote:I found the decision to replace Benson with Mountney a little strange. Against Derry, he played McEleney in next to Chris Shields, and he had an absolute stormer, but since then, Benson has been back in there.

Despite his stunning goal against UCD, McEleney has really struggled to get on the ball when playing further forward since. Teams are defending in numbers, and making it very difficult for him. Personally, I'd love to see him get another chance to play deep, instead.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Surely McEleneys strengths are quick feet in and around the edge of the box, 1-2s off Hoban, and running at defenders. Taking the ball from our own centrehalves doesn't make best use of his talents. I don't think he is up to full speed yet. Teams WILL defend in numbers next year, SK will find a solution.

Return to “General Discussion”