Waterford V Dundalk | Fri 12 Oct | 7.45pm | RSC

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Waterford V Dundalk | Fri 12 Oct | 7.45pm | RSC

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:08 pm

It's hard to know what the vibe will be for this match. With the league won some fringe players may get opportunities to stake a claim for a cup final spot or SK may simply stick with his first choice selection.

I'm looking forward to the opportunity of getting some payback for an undeserved defeat last time around in Waterford

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Waterford V Dundalk | Fri 12 Oct | 7.45pm | RSC

Postby El Paso » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 am

Cleary, Benson, McGrath and Shields all out. Might not be worth risking Hoare. Hope he experiments a bit but I’d expect us to be beaten.

Team I’d like:

Rogers
Gannon-Gartland-Folan-Massey
Mountney-McEleney-Jarvis
Murray-Hoban-Duffy

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:36 am

El Paso wrote:Cleary, Benson, McGrath and Shields all out. Might not be worth risking Hoare. Hope he experiments a bit but I’d expect us to be beaten.

Team I’d like:

Rogers
Gannon-Gartland-Folan-Massey
Mountney-McEleney-Jarvis
Murray-Hoban-Duffy

If the four you mention are out, there is every chance SK could name that team, though unlikely to be a 4-3-3 formation with Mountney and Duffy in the wide positions with Murray at 10 and McEleney at 8.

That team would offer a realistic chance of winning, imo
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:06 am

He'll stick to 4-2-3-1. If he does I think it'll be as you say, though he might play Mountney alongside McEleney in place of Jarvis and stick with Connolly. On a normal day I'd still fancy that team, but I remember the first game after we won in 2016 Pats put 5 past us, and Waterford will be far more motivated whereas at least 7 of our lads will be expecting to start the Cup Final and trying to avoid injuries

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:14 pm

No room for Poynton? If he can't get in the team when 4 central midfielders are injured then he may pack his bags.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:36 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:No room for Poynton? If he can't get in the team when 4 central midfielders are injured then he may pack his bags.

Benson, McGrath and Shields along with O'Donnell & Chvedukas are all midfielders who are unavailable. He made the bench against St Pats for the first time since Limerick away in early September. If Adorjan and Byrne were around he may not have even made the bench for these matches - I can't remember the last time he appeared in a league game.

Its in his interests to move on

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:32 pm

El Paso wrote:He'll stick to 4-2-3-1. If he does I think it'll be as you say, though he might play Mountney alongside McEleney in place of Jarvis and stick with Connolly. On a normal day I'd still fancy that team, but I remember the first game after we won in 2016 Pats put 5 past us, and Waterford will be far more motivated whereas at least 7 of our lads will be expecting to start the Cup Final and trying to avoid injuries

Only if Bohs win tonight. A Cork win means - in effect - 15 dead rubbers notwithstanding those players looking to catch the managers eye for the cup final. Of course there is also the suspension factor. While anyone hitting 5 yellows has his suspension carried over to next year, anyone currently on 7 has no such get out of jail card if they hit 8 at the wrong time.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Poynton won’t play. No match fitness. He was blowing hard in the League Cup semi by half time. He should move on, sadly. Our 4-2-3-1 leaves no room for auxiliary midfielders, and our lack of rotation means it’s near impossible for the likes of him to ever play their way into the team.

Waterford pipping Rovers to third is something to chase for them I think even if Bohs don’t win tonight.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 am

Given the outcome of last night's semi final Waterford and Rovers have both qualified for Europe. Going to be a surreal sort of match of Friday.
The Back of the Wall

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:03 am

Waterfird FC website match preview and team news

MATCH PREVIEW: Waterford FC -v- Dundalk
News, News Article
SSE Airtricity League Premier Division
Waterford FC -v- Dundalk
Friday, October 12, 2018
Kick Off: 7.45pm
Referee: Derek Tomney

Waterford FC welcome Premier Division champions Dundalk to the RSC this Friday with the race heating up for 3rd position.

The Blues secured at least a top 4 finish and a Europa League spot last week but are still in the hunt for 3rd place – level on points with Shamrock Rovers with three games remaining.

The Blues’ top 4 finish was secured last Friday after a 3-1 win away to Bohemians. Despite falling behind, goals from Sander Puri, Stanley Aborah and Noel Hunt meant a vital three points in front of a massive travelling support.

Dundalk wrapped up the league title last Friday after a point at home to St Pat’s and the Blues will look forward to a tough challenge on Friday.

The sides have met three times this season already with the Blues winning the meeting between the sides in the RSC, while Dundalk picked up the points in the two matches in Oriel Park this season.

Speaking ahead of the game, manager Alan Reynolds said:

“We’ve had some really close games against Dundalk this season, beating them in the RSC and playing out two very competitive games in Oriel Park, and I think they’re worthy League Champions.

“People might think that since Dundalk have the league won and we’ve secured a top 4 that both teams will be easing off, but we’ve prepared as we always do and we’ll be ready to have a go at Dundalk on Friday.

“It’s been a massive week for the club here. A big aim for this club was to get back to the glory days and make history for ourselves and to secure a Europa League spot for next season is a dream come true for so many people around this club including myself.

“We’ve had more ups than downs this season but we’ve all stuck together as a group and we’ve got the deserved rewards for that. And we’re not finished yet. We might be guaranteed a top 4 finish, but we’re going to keep pushing for the third place.”

TEAM NEWS: Alan Reynolds is sweating over the fitness of Cory Galvin, Stanley Aborah and Kenny Browne through illness while Sander Puri (international duty) and Noel Hunt (groin) are out.

https://www.waterfordfc.ie/match-previe ... v-dundalk/

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:13 am

"playing out two very competitive games in Oriel Park, and I think they’re worthy League Champions". Subtle self pat on the back by Alan there lol. Waterford have managed their promotion season very well. When you consider their small squad, losing their main keeper back to Swindon, dubious lengthy suspensions to key players, losing their manager for a number of games due to a cowardly assault, getting back in to Europe year 1 after 32 years its no mean feat regardless of Power's involvement. Another opportunity to enjoy the Champions run in.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Gannon-Gartland-Hoare-Massey
Mountney-McEleney-Jarvis
Murray-Hoban-Duffy

Nearly right! I presume, though, that it's actually McEleney and Jarvis with Mountney wide right in the 4-2-3-1.

Surprised he risked Hoare.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:52 pm

What's Dundalk's record points total?

89 is our possible max, is that a record?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:04 pm

85 is the current record, set by Bohs in a 33 game season in 2008. We can beat that on Friday albeit with two extra games (then again they only scored 55 goals and were in a division with Finn Harps, UCD and Cobh Ramblers finishing miles off)

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 pm

El Paso wrote:85 is the current record, set by Bohs in a 33 game season in 2008. We can beat that on Friday albeit with two extra games (then again they only scored 55 goals and were in a division with Finn Harps, UCD and Cobh Ramblers finishing miles off)

We're in a division where 3rd placed rovers are finishing a mile off!!!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Return to “General Discussion”