2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Postby seand » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:10 am

Too early for a 2019-20 Champions League thread? Is it fukk!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%8 ... ons_League

Dundalk will enter in the first qualifying round, which consists of 34 teams (33 teams straight in, plus one of the four preliminary round participants.)
Dundalk will be seeded in the first qualifying round. This is 99.99% guaranteed. (I reckon we'll end up being ranked about 12th-15th of the 34 first round teams.) Non-seeds we could draw will include the champions of Albania, Armenia, Bosnia, Estonia, Faroes (HB), Georgia, Iceland (Valur), Latvia (Riga), Lithuania (Suduva), Macedonia, Malta, Monetenegro, Northern Ireland, Slovakia, Sweden (AIK/Norrkopping), Wales and the preliminary round winners from Andorra/San Marino/Gibraltar/Kosovo. And almost certainly Luxembourg.
With a massive amount of luck it's just possible we could be seeded in the second qualifying round, but it's highly unlikely. More on this towards the end of the 2018-19 season!

Once again, while there's no formal regionalisation of the draw, we might expect to be grouped mostly with the northern teams- NI, Wales, Lux, Iceland, Sweden and the Baltics, but Champions League regional groups tend to be a lot more fluid than Europa League ones, so it's quite possible we'll end up in, say, Armenia or Bosnia.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Postby seand » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:51 am

Ok, so the summer season leagues are all finished up so we know some of our possible opponents.

Countries whose champions will be ranked above Dundalk (so we won't play them in Rd 1)
Finland- HJK Helsinki / Belarus- BATE / Kazakhstan- Astana / Moldova- Sheriff

Countries whose champions will be ranked below Dundalk, so possible Rd 1 opponents
Estonia- Nomme Kalju
Faroes- HB Thorshavn
Georgia- Saburtalo Tbilisi (almost certainly, or else Dinamo Tbilisi)
Latvia- Riga FC
Lithuania- Suduva
Sweden- AIK, who played Rovers in 2018, but AIK may well be seeded too
Iceland- Valur
Georgia- Saburtalo
Last edited by seand on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Latvia or Lithuania would be nice spots to visit for a match.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:19 pm

El Paso wrote:Latvia or Lithuania would be nice spots to visit for a match.

That brings back a few memories. It's 25 years since the international double header in the Baltics. Exchange rate was over a thousand roubles to the dollar, and climbing every day. You could buy a real Russian army hat for a fiver - from a real Russian soldier.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:16 pm

I think we have the highest ever coefficient by an Irish team going into Europe next season with a tidy 7.0.
Last time I looked it was similar to Viteses Arnhem and Panakanathias.

Due rewards for the huge efforts of 2016.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:15 am

Coefficients are now based on individual club performance, rather than a combination of club and country, which works well for us. If we have a decent go in 2019 - winning two or possible even one round - we'd have a good chance of being seeded in the second qualifying round in 2020, if we can retain the league title.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:14 pm

seand wrote:Coefficients are now based on individual club performance, rather than a combination of club and country, which works well for us. If we have a decent go in 2019 - winning two or possible even one round - we'd have a good chance of being seeded in the second qualifying round in 2020, if we can retain the league title.

All the more reason for Peak6 to go the whole hog this close season in terms of team recruitment - performance in Europe in 2019 is critical to their chances on RoI
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:36 pm

In 2022 (!) our three coefficient points for 2016 Europa League group adventure will be gone. If we haven't got back to the groups by then it'll get increasingly difficult, and it'd be hard to see external investors continue to pump money into it. So I reckon we have three seasons to hit the big time again, before it becomes untenable for the owners to keep investing.

Incidentally we're guaranteed at least 1.5 coefficient points in 2019, so if we qualify for Europe in 2020 we'll be at least one point better off in 2020 (we picked up 0.5 pts in 2014).

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:50 pm

While its not possible to know, it would be interesting to know at what point RoI occurs. We do know what we will bank minimum each year but how close is that to keeping investors happy. If the club can properly maximise general income and go a good way to covering day to day costs then the minimum European money could be enough for some return. If the owners are massively subsidising the club to the extent that qualifying for group stages is a must then the pressure is damn significant and very worrying. Of course we get through a couple of CL rounds next summer and 1 EL and we wont be worrying for a while. How much could be added to the 1.5 co-efficiant in the summer and help mitigate agaisnt the drop off of 2016 without actually reaching group stages?

On revenue in general I do think that full and proper use of the YDC can generate substantial income, I still feel that there is growth potential in sponsorship especially ground sponsorship, European money from UEFA will likely grow year on year especially with chatter of superleagues, and then of course growth in gate receipts. Not to cross threads but I do hope the owners are aware that dissatisfaction among supporters on some very basic issues can be readily fixed well within the cost of 1 decent player's salary and it isnt unreasonable imo to work toward an annual average gate increase of 200-500. In otherwords I hope the owners see that there is more to getting a return on their money than just the spoils of Europe!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:49 am

dell1 wrote:While its not possible to know, it would be interesting to know at what point RoI occurs. We do know what we will bank minimum each year but how close is that to keeping investors happy. If the club can properly maximise general income and go a good way to covering day to day costs then the minimum European money could be enough for some return. If the owners are massively subsidising the club to the extent that qualifying for group stages is a must then the pressure is damn significant and very worrying. Of course we get through a couple of CL rounds next summer and 1 EL and we wont be worrying for a while. How much could be added to the 1.5 co-efficiant in the summer and help mitigate agaisnt the drop off of 2016 without actually reaching group stages?

On revenue in general I do think that full and proper use of the YDC can generate substantial income, I still feel that there is growth potential in sponsorship especially ground sponsorship, European money from UEFA will likely grow year on year especially with chatter of superleagues, and then of course growth in gate receipts. Not to cross threads but I do hope the owners are aware that dissatisfaction among supporters on some very basic issues can be readily fixed well within the cost of 1 decent player's salary and it isnt unreasonable imo to work toward an annual average gate increase of 200-500. In otherwords I hope the owners see that there is more to getting a return on their money than just the spoils of Europe!

Judging by Mike Treacy's celebrations at the final whistle, he seems to have caught the bug (more so than Jordan Gardner) so I doubt that Return on Investment will weigh too heavily on his mind. You must remember that giving our two and three year deals dont - by themselves - require investment, unless we are going a bit OTT on wages. What they ARE doing is underwriting those contracts in the event that we don't make the big bucks in Europe.

And speaking of Europe. I know the calendar for 2019/20 isn't up yet but if it follows this season's profile, each CL QR win guarantees 4 more weeks of European football. i.e. if we win CL QR1 we are guaranteed a tie in QR2 plus a tie in EL QR3 if we then get knocked out.

Put it another way, if we are successful in QR1 and QR2 in the Champions League, we will end up playing European football for 8 weeks in a row, right through July and August.

Fixture Congestion tablet anyone?
Last edited by oldfogey on Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:07 pm

I'm sure league clubs will be bending over backwards to help us with fixture congestion....

We will hopefully be quite grateful for having games weighted heavily front end of the season come July (to Feb 2020 ;p ) Be nostalgic to one day have European games as the first competative fixtures of the season again!

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:35 pm

I think it's prudent to plan for eight European games in eight weeks in July into August. However big and expensive our squad is it's gonna be a challenge to manage that and domestic commitments

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:24 pm

The manager needs to rotate from the start. One or two changes every week so that players stay fresh and everyone knows how to play with everyone else. We should be 20-odd League matches down by the time Europe comes. Plenty of time to prepare and not be afraid that we’re dropping in quality by resting a guy.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:01 pm

oldfogey wrote:Judging by Mike Treacy's celebrations at the final whistle, he seems to have caught the bug (more so than Jordan Gardner) so I doubt that Return on Investment will weigh too heavily on his mind. You must remember that giving our two and three year deals dont - by themselves - require investment, unless we are going a bit OTT on wages. What they ARE doing is underwriting those contracts in the event that we don't make the big bucks in Europe.

Unless he is an exceptional actor, there is little doubt that Mike Treacy enjoyed the thrill of the cup success - but then who would not get caught up in the elation of the moment and the acclaim for the club chairman from an ecstatic crowd celebrating a brilliant win in the Aviva?

While RoI may not have been in the forefront of his mind at that moment, I think it is stretching credibility to suggest that it has slipped down in terms of importance to the Peak 6 investors.

On the point of underwriting player contracts, the Arkaga 2008 examiner-ship experience in Cork or the Dundalk FC 2012 experience demonstrated that is only true to a point.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the "only say good things" merchants, could I point out that we have not seen much evidence of significant additional investment by the new owners so far. The next 10 weeks will tell a lot in that respect
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:52 pm

oldfogey wrote:Judging by Mike Treacy's celebrations at the final whistle, he seems to have caught the bug (more so than Jordan Gardner) so I doubt that Return on Investment will weigh too heavily on his mind.

Mike Tracy is an employee of a company that has invested in Dundalk FC. I'm pretty sure that a return of investment is forefront of his mind regardless of how much he enjoyed the win and celebrations.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Return to “General Discussion”