2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by White Horse » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:22 pm

€30 is steep and there would have been no significant grumbling if it was €25.

However, it is still only an extra €5 so I won't be complaining.

European games incur additional costs and if we want to see the best team in Ireland, it is going to cost us more money, particularly with a ground that has limited capacity. We can see where all the European money is going, it is not going into someone's back pocket, it is going towards providing facilities for the players and looking after them. How many LOI teams were in Spain training last week?

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:50 pm

I don’t think anyone is in denial about any of that, we know there has been investment in both players and their facilities. The (reasonable) complaint is that many of the people who pay the money will be watching a lot of the action through dirty plexiglass or not watching it at all through steel pillars.

I’d also be personally surprised if gates are below budgeted figures. We were averaging 3,300 for Friday nights until the last two matches were down, and the same thing happened the equivalent matches last season.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:03 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:50 pm
The (reasonable) complaint is that many of the people who pay the money will be watching a lot of the action through dirty plexiglass or not watching it at all through steel pillars.
That is a reasonable complaint and one that is also valid for lower priced league games.

The way I see it is that the club is putting almost every cent into the playing budget. That is a topic worth debating as a small amount of funds ring-fenced for the match-day experience of fans would make a big difference. However, they are not raising prices in order profiteer from fans. If they did that, I would be a very vocal opponent.

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:55 pm

It's a real shame that the club are not looking for dispensation for additional seating for the game behind the Carrick goal. Surely it would pay for itself and make the place that bit less hospitable for the away teams. €30 is the first significant jump in price for quite a while and while we are not paupers currently there is a financial hit for European games, from the capped attendance, bars closed at HT, additional criteria like wheelchair area eg. and security to minimise risk of large fines. It doesnt change the points above on the view though.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:04 pm

Incoming...........

Johnny Ward lectures Dundalk FC on fan relationships
Johnny Ward
‏Verified account
@Ui_Maine

Dundalk FC need to appreciate the bond with their support locally in a provincial town that has struggled economically, especially given the club ownership model. I can't see how they think charging 30€ in against a team from Latvia in a dilapidated stadium is a good idea.
https://twitter.com/Ui_Maine/status/1143112034797662210
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:25 pm

Article 18 Stands and spectator facilities

18.01 Seats for spectators must be individual, numbered, firmly fixed in place, robust,
made of a shatterproof, non-flammable material, and have a backrest of a
minimum height of 30cm when measured from the surface of the seat.

18.02 Stands must be fixed to a load-bearing foundation and may not be based on or
contain any tubular/scaffolding structures. The material, design and construction
of the stands must be clearly intended for permanent use.
I think that regulation means no temporary seating of any sort is allowed.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 pm

You can have temporary seating as long as it’s on a fixed foundation, which I why I still don’t understand when the new foot path was put in behind the town end that the grass bank wasn’t leveled and a concrete base put in.

I can’t imagine a stand like what pats and Sligo have would have been that expensive

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:12 am

It's certainly said that as long as a temporary stand is on a solid base it's ok, but i'd think that a club still would have to seek permission from UEFA. Maybe it's not feasible but it would be good to communicate that publically.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:06 am

The ticket price for the Riga game appears to be shit stirring by the media. The Independent leads with this story in their article on Andy Boyle rejoining.

The media are obsessed with putting pressure on the owners to invest in the ground rather than in success.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 am

White Horse wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:06 am
The ticket price for the Riga game appears to be shit stirring by the media. The Independent leads with this story in their article on Andy Boyle rejoining.

The media are obsessed with putting pressure on the owners to invest in the ground rather than in success.

The ticket price is the ticket price no shit stirring required.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:43 am

The fixed foundation thing is a sop to the likes of the big German clubs that want to keep terracing, so they bring in seats for European games and promptly whip them out for League matches. It's not an option for us in any part of our ground as things stand. The terracing it would take would be a massive improvement to Oriel in itself.

As regards the price they should have been aware there'd be a backlash. It's literally a fortnight since Devlin did an interview and spent most of it talking about Oriel. They are charging 30 quid to watch a match that many of the people paying that 30 quid won't actually be able to properly watch. It's as simple as that. If we're already in a place where match tickets might be 30 quid for bigger games to help pay for the squad then that's pretty alarming.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ArFella » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:13 am

White Horse wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:06 am

100% correct, can't move for the faux-outrage from journalists or other loi fans on social media. They have to make a stand against our cruel capitalist oppressors, of course, we can't speak for fear of being reprimanded, so noble of them to take up the cause to fight for our voice *rolls eyes*
Mon the Town!

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ArFella » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:42 am

El Paso wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:43 am
As regards the price they should have been aware there'd be a backlash. It's literally a fortnight since Devlin did an interview and spent most of it talking about Oriel. They are charging 30 quid to watch a match that many of the people paying that 30 quid won't actually be able to properly watch. It's as simple as that. If we're already in a place where match tickets might be 30 quid for bigger games to help pay for the squad then that's pretty alarming.
I myself can't understand the backlash really. I get that some families will be under pressure, but it's really only an extra €5 for the ground tickets and it's the 1 game everyone wants to be at so the demand allows for a modest increase for these games (of which we may only have 2 in a given season). The call of extortion are really outrageous it's not as if they are auctioning them off to the highest bidders. The facilities are crap and have been for some time (and several different ownerships), if this is the premium to pay to maintain success then so be it, I don't think even the most optimistic fan believes that this run will continue indefinitely and the increased costs are reinvested into players which leads to further continental success we may even have a half decent stadium at the end of it all, which is all I ever thought we'd get after being bought over by an Investment firm.
Mon the Town!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:52 pm

For me 30 euro breaks a psychological limit. It *looks* a lot more than 25, which itself was 5 euro more than a League match. And without meaning to sound harsh I think the put-upon family thing is a red herring - if a rise from 20 to 30 a ticket for this match is putting you under financial pressure then unfortunately you probably shouldn't be going in the first place.

It's like this - what are you getting for €30?

If the argument is "that's what we have to charge because that's what this team costs", then I think that's pretty bad. Where does that end? 30 euro for a League decider or an FAI Cup semi? Or all Rovers home matches? I'd rather you didn't sign Joe McKee on loan and never play him, or the likes of Tagbajumi or Chvedukas, or have three senior goalkeepers with two more in the U19s, than flash the cash and it turn out that it was the fans' cash before they realised it.

If the argument is "that's good value for money to see this team play in the Champions League" then I absolutely agree, which brings me back to the dirty perspex and the steel poles. Usually the road is built before you stick a toll booth on it.

All pricing structures should be announced alongside season ticket sales before the season starts. If they want to do something like €30 European games; €20 Cat A League games and FAI Cup Semi; €15 Cat B League games and early rounds of the Cup; €10 League Cup, Leinster Senior Cup, President's Cup and whatever the equivalent os for kids, oaps and the ground. Then fine. But say it.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ArFella » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:28 pm

All fair points El P, but I disagree on player recruitment. It is impossible to hit on every signing we make and given the reputation (or lack thereof) of our league, we can't attract high profile players and that leads to a few journeymen who don't work out, if you look at last seasons signings, Chvedukas, Marco & Adorjan, (only taking these 3 into account because we never would have signed them without Peak6) I'd be happy enough that Adorjan was an absolute star (unfortunate that his contract situation denied him the second half of the season) and Marco and Karolis were busts (squad players at best). Again this season happy enough that Flores & Murray look promising, McKee was a waste and Dummigan and Carey remain to be seen. The hit rate isn't bad when you look at it like that.
Mon the Town!