Four Time Champions- The Magnificent Seven

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Four Time Champions- The Magnificent Seven

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:37 am

seand wrote:Just on the subject of medals, Sean Gannon's senior career honours list is absolutely ludicrous.

Of course he could have just taken the kitchen sink and gone into semi-retirement at Rovers

Guys like Sean Gannon deserve huge respect and admiration for keeping the fire of ambition burning in themselves

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:24 am

Ezeikial wrote:
seand wrote:Just on the subject of medals, Sean Gannon's senior career honours list is absolutely ludicrous.

Of course he could have just taken the kitchen sink and gone into semi-retirement at Rovers

Guys like Sean Gannon deserve huge respect and admiration for keeping the fire of ambition burning in themselves

Imagine how he’d be feeling now if he’d taking that deal!! The rest of his football career filled with what ifs! A penny for Ronan Finns thoughts right now!!!
King Kenny!

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:10 pm

colymull wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:

Imagine how he’d be feeling now if he’d taking that deal!! The rest of his football career filled with what ifs! A penny for Ronan Finns thoughts right now!!!

But... But.. He gets to train with Damien Duff
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:23 pm

I didn't expect him to go to Rovers and say "look, I know I'm joining a bunch of also rans" but his interview the day he signed for Rovers sticks in the throat.
But I just had to say ‘listen, I’m moving on and signing for a club that is massive’. I’m leaving a club that has had great success but I feel this is really going to kick off. It was a great two years at Dundalk, but previous to that we had success at Shamrock Rovers. I know from being here before that it’s a massive club and the potential is huge. If you’re asking people from outside Ireland, they will know Shamrock Rovers. I’ve had success at Dundalk, I’m coming back as a better player and I’m looking forward to showing fans. I might have annoyed a few people leaving but I’ve had success leaving and I’m going to be successful coming back here.

This stuff then last year before the cup semi-final last year finished him off in my mind - he was nothing before he played for us, and he's bac to being nothing now. The look on his face at the end was almost worth losing the final.
I think people who realise the game and understand football know the reasons I moved. Potentially, people who tune in and watch League of Ireland now and again or maybe watched Dundalk play Europa League football might have found it a surprise but for me it was a decision that I'd make ten times over because I was lucky enough to play at Rovers before and know the potential there.

Still though, the likes of Finn are a healthy reminder for all fans that football is a business and players are mé féiners who always come and go. No point ever being sentimental about them.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:17 pm

We all know why Finn moved, Rovers the ‘massive club’ with 3rd place finishes, but he was able to secure employment outside football and a good contract. He was an excellent player, perfect MF player, he did go missing on some games, but overall he was excellent for us for 2 years.

His choice to leave, but I don’t see him winning another league title anytime soon, maybe 2016 will have been his last, that’s probably a fair shout?

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:40 pm

I was as bugged as anyone when Finn left as he was going to be a big loss but since I think that there were other mitigating reasons why he would have seen a move to Rovers as a good move. He had just started a family, we were training in the evenings, it was a whirlwhind period of the team travelling to some pretty remote places across Europe, 2 and even 3 games in a week. The demands on the players' time especially with a new young family could have been taking its toll, we looked knackered still at the start of 2017.
Rovers looked like they were going somewhere too but flattered to decieve. The players were payed well for their time no doubts but it cant have been easy and the option of playing without 2-3 hours daily round commute (including Saturdays) for similar money had to be attractive. He was training for a job for beyond football too in 2016 as per one of his interviews at the time. He'd just bought a place in Dublin.

Id say that after a while of it being something of a break though, playing for Rovers not being as demanding in general as things are with Dundalk, he would in all liklihood make a different choice if he could do it again. Professional pride in due course would have him thinking of the medals he could have won if money wasnt the be all and end all in a pretty short career. But at the time with a young family cant have been made up for especially as nobody would have forseen that we would have a quiet year by our recent standards. Pride would also have him inisisting that he made the right decision, the more he insisted the more he looked like he had regrets and was trying to convince himself more than anyone else in tallaght. How dejected he looked after the cup semi replay I think showed how much it was getting under his skin. In the first game in Oriel it looked like O'Donnell was going to take his head off and he looked almost shocked and struggled with not being a fan favourite in a competative team, at a club that was going places.

It was an awful waste in footballing terms and we missed him in 2017 especially in Europe but I can see why he didnt put football totally first. He deserved the hostility for the way he left and would have been better being straight up with the reason why he didnt even want to consider an offer from Dundalk - that he didnt give the club the option to meet his Rovers deal would seem to me that he didnt want his head turned again. It had little to do with it being Rovers he was joining, if Bohs had the resources he would just as easily have gone there and his comments above would have been identical bar switching out the club names. It took us a bit to replace his role in the team but I think we are better off now and with younger players.

Return to “General Discussion”