2019 Season - Preview, Fixtures & Attendances

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2019 Season - Preview, Fixtures & Attendances

Post by Sneachta » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:20 pm

My point would be on the bigger picture.... As pointed out by myself and others here before.

The fact is there is a massive off season, a "summer break" in a summer league, almost two thirds of which fixtures are rammed into before this break. The fixtures are not set up so rearranged fixtures have an opportunity to be refixed on to the regular night or as close as possible to. What about a Thursday or Saturday evening?

I don't have a magic answer but there has been lots of debate across all media and commentaries of LOI about the organisation of fixtures. it's badly done .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:01 am

Refixed matches are almost always going to be midweek. It's the same in England and everywhere else. It just so happens that we've a shot at winning the league that night. And yeh, obviously there's a bigger picture in terms of the fixture list, but this game was postponed because we made the EA Cup final, no amount of fecking around with the summer break, Euro refixtures, extending the season etc can cover every eventuality.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:26 am

Sneachta wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:47 pm
It's on a Monday!!?? A f***ing Monday. For a possible title deciding game. The cork game with Daryl's goal was a Monday in 2016?

Brain dead!! Absolutely brain-dead! I'm sure there will be a big crowd, but those of us who travel an hour or more to Oriel every second week are definitely out. Then there are those who play/train in local/underage leagues? Pathetic.

What was the alternative? I don't see you suggesting one

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:08 pm

I did.
Extend the season.
Shorter or zero summer break.
Start the season earlier.
Have non euro clubs play each other while euro clubs play in Europe.

In relation to even places like England, yes they do have refixed games towards the end of the season, on unusual days. Sometimes even a Tuesday. But these are the exception not the rule.

In dundalks/LOI case there has been fixture rejigging to beat the bad not only this season, but for the last couple of seasons. In any organisation/business public/private if issues arise year on year that cause problems to productivity, organisations do a 360 review to improve. It seems, let's keep banging the same shitty drum with our fixture organisers.

I'm also just pissed from a selfish point of view that I won't make Monday and I know I'll be in the minority but there are plenty of us who just can't make Monday for reasons I started. Because Oriel is Friday night!

Weelilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Weelilywhite » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Agree entirely Sneachta. It's just another example of the contempt with which the FAI treat the LOI

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Sneachta wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:08 pm
I did.
Extend the season.
Shorter or zero summer break.
Start the season earlier.
Have non euro clubs play each other while euro clubs play in Europe.

In relation to even places like England, yes they do have refixed games towards the end of the season, on unusual days. Sometimes even a Tuesday. But these are the exception not the rule.

In dundalks/LOI case there has been fixture rejigging to beat the bad not only this season, but for the last couple of seasons. In any organisation/business public/private if issues arise year on year that cause problems to productivity, organisations do a 360 review to improve. It seems, let's keep banging the same shitty drum with our fixture organisers.

I'm also just pissed from a selfish point of view that I won't make Monday and I know I'll be in the minority but there are plenty of us who just can't make Monday for reasons I started. Because Oriel is Friday night!

Extending the season wont free up a weekend spot though. All it means is less midweek games.

I think you are missing the point that this game is being refixed for a cup final, unless you want an extended season with weekend spots left free, but that would make no sense

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:30 pm

I also suggested Thursday and Saturday games. Games that are closer or on weekends.

Sure jaysus I remember going to a wet Oriel on a Tuesday night for a rovers game on a champions League night. Made no sense for having a game that big on a night like that. There was also desperate crowd at the game for such a big fixture.

I'm suggesting that for refixed matches that there's space, in the calendar, on ameanable days. Monday/Tuesday are not good days for any game never mind a big game.

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:49 pm

In fairness winning the league on a Monday night is an anticlimax no matter what

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:08 pm

Sneachta wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:30 pm
I also suggested Thursday and Saturday games. Games that are closer or on weekends.

Sure jaysus I remember going to a wet Oriel on a Tuesday night for a rovers game on a champions League night. Made no sense for having a game that big on a night like that. There was also desperate crowd at the game for such a big fixture.

I'm suggesting that for refixed matches that there's space, in the calendar, on ameanable days. Monday/Tuesday are not good days for any game never mind a big game.

And how many free Thursdays and Saturdays are there between now and the end of the season bearing in mind we have games fixed for Friday nights?

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 pm

Read my last paragraph

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:49 pm

I should add why not play the Waterford game Thursday the 19th and the rovers game Sunday the 22nd.

Or even better, Waterford Wednesday 18th and rovers Saturday 21st.

Anything is better than Monday.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:52 pm

And don't get me started on possible cup replays.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:52 am

Sounds like Vinny didn't want the Rovers game squeezed in September..

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:11 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:49 pm
In fairness winning the league on a Monday night is an anticlimax no matter what
It's only really an anti climax after everyone leaves Oriel!! That is, for those that want to go and celebrate in town!!! For the 90 mins plus that we are all in Oriel and asumming for argument sake, we win the match, the atmosphere will be electric!!
The attendance will definitely be down that night, mostly from the rovers end. But those of us that will be there will party like it a friday night!!!!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:38 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:52 am
Sounds like Vinny didn't want the Rovers game squeezed in September..
Think he’s right. It seems unnecessary, as much as it might be fun to win it by beating Rovers. Privately they were probably hoping to be able to rest lads and canter to the title while having everyone right for cup ties. Sounded like he was worried some might hit a wall.