Still Reeling

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Still Reeling

Postby HildaorHoban? » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:00 am

I logged on specially here to be among ‘our own’. I’m a bit sick of the General discourse that all is good in the world because the FAI and Delaney got their way, SK got a new job, Mick McCarthy is getting millions for a caretaker position and even Robbie Keane benefits.

The contempt that all involved, particularly FAI, have shown to Dundalk is sickening, it’ll be a dark day in hell before I buy an Ireland ticket again, that’s for sure.

I see VP is being peddled as a successor and I hope a way can be found to keep things right at Oriel Park. I hope we don’t lose players too now. Ronan leaving was always on the cards.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Still Reeling

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:05 am

Welcome.

I think you can read between the lines of Dundalk's statement that they agree with your general take about how all this has gone down.

The bizarre thing is that, apart from generalisms about the next generation playing the right way, it's blatantly obvious Stephen has zero interest in the actual job he has been given and is tolerating it while he waits for August 2020.

Kenny’s role will also include an advisory position with the other underage teams as he plots for the future.

But, for now, his present role is with the Under-21s and Kenny is using it as a chance to ­prepare for the big job.

He said: “That’s how people in the FAI felt and I respect that.

“It’s a great position to be in, to take a step back.

“In 20 years I’ve never really been out of work for more than a couple of weeks. I’ve been on the go.

“So just to take a deep breath and analyse everything about the ­international game and really update . . .

“I watch the matches and I’m fascinated by the different tactical approaches of different teams and that is of great interest to me. I enjoy that aspect of being a coach.”

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:10 am

Yes. The fact they have no game until next September is almost unbelievable. I have to keep biting my tongue not to be over critical but none of it adds up. None of it.

I thought the clubs statement was excellent and pointed. Of course the press didn’t pick up on the subtlety of not congratulating SK on this U21 nonsense

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:29 am

Journalist to John Delaney:

So he is only managing the team for part of the campaign?

Yeah, but he’s still got 20 months. And he’s got the 19s, the 17s, the 16s, the 15s... I spoke to him earlier, he’s looking forward to going over to Europe, watching international managers play, talking to international managers, because it’s a big change and he knows that and he is looking to working with and learning with Mick McCarthy.

LMFAO

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:36 am

I watch the Mick McCarthy presser live on Sunday and it was very clear that tension already exists. McCarthy’s sole focus was on players resident outside Ireland and he was more than snide about SK when it came to players being developed here.

Then there was dug that SK would be buying HIM dinner. €3.4m not enough Mick?

I really hope it works out for Stephen despite last few days and shabby treatment of Dundalk but I think it’s going to end in tears. I’d be fairly convinced he’ll regret taking the U21 position. We’ll see....

holidaysong
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby holidaysong » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:40 am

+1 on McCarthy.

He didn't come across at all well, verging on arrogance at some points. But it's less than 24 months. If we can get to the Euros I will tolerate it. If not, he'll be gone anyway.

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:44 am

I couldn’t care less if they get to the Euros or not to be honest. I have lost interest in FAI after this affair. It had seriously wained anyway to be honest. Any money I have to see games has been spent on LOI and Dundalk for a while now.

If Ireland U21’s were playing in Clancy Park I wouldn’t go down. I feel no affinity with any of it now to be honest.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:56 am

Stephen is talking about packing out "Cork, Sligo and Tallaght" for U21 games. I might wander along if there's a game in Turners Cross out of curiosity. I assume none of our players will be involved. McGrath is too old now I think.

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:57 am

Is he now....

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 am

The qualification draw for the next Uefa finals is on December 12 and, while Kenny will not see out a full campaign, he wants his successor to be in a strong position to qualify.

He explained: “My main focus is managing the Under-21 team and getting the best team I can in that period.

“We have never been in contention to qualify, really, ever — we’re well down the seedings.

“One of the things I will push is that whether the games are in Tallaght or Sligo or Cork, I will be looking to get full houses for the Under-21 games.

“I will be strongly pushing that everyone in Irish football comes along.

“The Under-21 players need that, they need to feel they are coming into something that is really relevant and important and is an occasion.

“And it helps them prepare for the senior games.”

Kenny knows it can help him too.

Will be interesting to see how he goes from preparing for two games a week with an eye on Europe to six games in 20 months. He'll have some itch by next summer when we're starting the Euro run.

Or did you mean McGrath? He's turned 22, will be 23 by the next qualifiers

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:11 am

I’m still scratching my head. It’s just nonsense. If he’d stayed here for just 1 more season - which is max I expected anyway - he could, would, have still been at peak and been still sought after by FAI.

Here’s what could happen. McCarthy will qualify and SK won’t add considerably to his reputation with U21’s. A few games? Not enough. Dundalk will continue to succeed without him. Then in Euros country will get all Green White and Gold as the ManU/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelski lot go Irish for the Summer.

There’ll then be a hue and cry about poor Mick being forced out, there’ll be polls, phone in, Damian Duff is already at it, and SK will be struggling for air wondering why he walked out on CL shot with Dundalk.

That could very well be the scenario....

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:26 am

El Paso wrote:Stephen is talking about packing out "Cork, Sligo and Tallaght" for U21 games. I might wander along if there's a game in Turners Cross out of curiosity. I assume none of our players will be involved. McGrath is too old now I think.

I was wondering why SK didn’t mention McGrath in the presser yesterday. Have we any in our squad who might get a call up?
King Kenny!

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:31 am

HildaorHoban? wrote:I’m still scratching my head. It’s just nonsense. If he’d stayed here for just 1 more season - which is max I expected anyway - he could, would, have still been at peak and been still sought after by FAI.

Here’s what could happen. McCarthy will qualify and SK won’t add considerably to his reputation with U21’s. A few games? Not enough. Dundalk will continue to succeed without him. Then in Euros country will get all Green White and Gold as the ManU/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelski lot go Irish for the Summer.

There’ll then be a hue and cry about poor Mick being forced out, there’ll be polls, phone in, Damian Duff is already at it, and SK will be struggling for air wondering why he walked out on CL shot with Dundalk.

That could very well be the scenario....

Or...
McCarthy stays on at the end of two years, Kenny gets the 2 years senior management job salary paid in compensation and takes a job in the LOI the very next day as a multi millionaire.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:32 am

Nope. Georgie Kelly is also turned 22. Jack O'Keeffe maybe the closest, but he's probably well off at the minute. It's the other surprise about all this - overseeing youth development would be bottom of the list if you were making a list of Kenny's talents as a manager.

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:35 am

‘Or...
McCarthy stays on at the end of two years, Kenny gets the 2 years senior management job salary paid in compensation and takes a job in the LOI the very next day as a multi millionaire.’

Yeah, he’d certainly be due the money. And the FAI appear to have no shortage of it to waste. Until it comes to LOI of course, at which pig t they suddenly become penniless.

Return to “General Discussion”