Still Reeling

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Still Reeling

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:31 pm

He is gone & good luck to him. History will judge him well
in Dundalk. He will be up there with Jim Mc Loughlin , Barry Kehoe , Jimmy Hasty. etc. etc. etc. Cmon the town.

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:46 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:Some people need to take a chill pill on this. Slating kenny.. bottom line is he left us to become senior manager to the Republic of Ireland. That is the short and the long of it. It's not ad if he did a Jim McLoughlin on it, and left us to join a shamrock rovers side in their prime who were our main competitors for titles bsck then. A little perspective please!

I haven't seen any 'slating' going on. I've seen a fair bit of uncritical idolatry however.

Stephen has got plenty of praise and gratitude on this and all other threads that I'd seen. But he isn't infallible. And he showed that in the last 5 days or so. It doesn't tarnish one bit what he did with Dundalk. It does leave some of us disappointed, not so much that he's gone, but the manner of his departure and how he handled it his end. I for one am not going to feel guilty about being disappointed in one aspect of Stephen's amazing work at DFC. The FAI did us in and showed our club complete disrespect, and that's putting it mildly. And that was facilitated by SK.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:04 pm

I dont think anyone is in disagreement that Stephen Kenny deserves a lot of gratitude from Dundalk fans and when the dust settles he will get back the full level of appreciation from us all. His leaving the club has been very messy though, possibly through little fault of his own but the club, players and staff, and fans were let down by the way this process happened and caused the annoyance (and not unexpected backlash). Nobody is above criticism in the game otherwise they move in to a similar realm as John Delaney and the FAI executive board. I think fans were entitled to vent frustrations and ask questions of the process and SK's role in that. As things move on, as with Dane Massey signing a contract extension today, the pitchforks and torches will be put aside and we will claim to be a big part of of Kenny's succession subsequently to the Ireland managers job. 95% of any lingering animosity is for the FAI and how they go about their business not Stephen Kenny really. He will be greeted back as the club legend he is whenever he visits Oriel Park especially after things are settled with a new managerand a couple of signings in place!

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:59 pm

Where SK fkd up , was that he didn’t assemble all his troops & trusted Lieutenants prior to the unprofessional way he went & fill them in . Then release a statement on Dundalk FC. website . Anyway roll on next season .

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:29 am

I think its fairly obvious that the FAI wanted to be the ones to make this announcement (remember McCarthy didn't know at this point that his Contract of Employment and P45 were in the same envelope) and wanted to make it ASAP. They didn't want SK, Dundalk FC, or the players stealing their thunder and/or putting a different spin on it. Ironically it seems the Examiner announced it before anyone else which would indicate the FAI can't even keep their own house under control. I can't imagine it came from SK ringing John Caulfield and singing "Nana nanana" down the phone.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:15 pm

One thing that wasn’t talked about was the Stan thing.

Stan is a hero for this country. 100+ caps and only Irish player to ever play in three world cups. Yet because of his managerial record he’s treated as a joke.

So *because he’s a joke* he was linked with our job. That was an insult to our club (and the League) as well as grossly disrespectful to the man himself, who was treated as a punchline in one big joke.

Made my pretty angry tbh.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:21 pm

El Paso wrote:One thing that wasn’t talked about was the Stan thing.

Stan is a hero for this country. 100+ caps and only Irish player to ever play in three world cups. Yet because of his managerial record he’s treated as a joke.

So *because he’s a joke* he was linked with our job. That was an insult to our club (and the League) as well as grossly disrespectful to the man himself, who was treated as a punchline in one big joke.

Or maybe he was linked because he applied, or maybe he was linked because it is his hometown club?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:48 pm

Yeah that’s what happened. Silly me.

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:Where SK fkd up , was that he didn’t assemble all his troops & trusted Lieutenants prior to the unprofessional way he went & fill them in . Then release a statement on Dundalk FC. website . Anyway roll on next season .

Yep. A great man, and a great Manager, who handled the last week appallingly.

shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedboy4life » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:11 pm

It would obviously never happen but I would love if Stan got the job, we retained the league and the cup and had a decent run in Europe just so he could stick his fingers up at the media and the FAI.
The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:18 pm

shedboy4life wrote:

It would obviously never happen but I would love if Stan got the job, we retained the league and the cup and had a decent run in Europe just so he could stick his fingers up at the media and the FAI.

You're right.. it won't happen!!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:29 pm

Caoimhín Reilly was pretty scathing of Stephen Kenny in this week's Democrat. He seemed pretty irked by Kenny not answering questions that must have been put to him on how the whole process was managed, in particular to journalists that must have felt that a good rapport had been built over 6 years. Tbh I havent bothered to watch any of the press conference to see how any such questions were batted away. He also says there were ongoing discussions for a number of weeks before the club was informed and that Kenny should have considered the way he was dumped by Shamrock Rovers when in discussions with the FAI. Dundalk FC would hardly have stood in his way if he had informed the club what was going on.
I'll try to put a more positive spin on Kenny's "underhand" behaviour, maybe he didnt want to undermine contract negotiations with players and his leaving resulting in a number of key players also leaving and really leaving the club, contracted players and coaching staff in the lurch. Probably a bit of a stretch but maybe!?

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:08 pm

I thought I was going to have a quiet off season post Double, with the odd look out for new signings. Then Rovers nabbed McEneff, wasn’t too bothered, Kenny bombshell which I am just getting about over then and Fyffes on top of everything. Phone glued to my hand again looking for news. I need to calm myself down practically whole team signed for next season and we will add some more. Am sure there is loads of work been down behind the scenes at the club and I expect by pre season some of it will start to filter through. Keeps us all on our toes and ready to retain our trophies next season

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:I thought I was going to have a quiet off season post Double, with the odd look out for new signings. Then Rovers nabbed McEneff, wasn’t too bothered, Kenny bombshell which I am just getting about over then and Fyffes on top of everything. Phone glued to my hand again looking for news. I need to calm myself down practically whole team signed for next season and we will add some more. Am sure there is loads of work been down behind the scenes at the club and I expect by pre season some of it will start to filter through. Keeps us all on our toes and ready to retain our trophies next season

Vinny Perth’s interview has answered my call tonight

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:53 am

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Robbiedundalk2 wrote:I thought I was going to have a quiet off season post Double, with the odd look out for new signings. Then Rovers nabbed McEneff, wasn’t too bothered, Kenny bombshell which I am just getting about over then and Fyffes on top of everything. Phone glued to my hand again looking for news. I need to calm myself down practically whole team signed for next season and we will add some more. Am sure there is loads of work been down behind the scenes at the club and I expect by pre season some of it will start to filter through. Keeps us all on our toes and ready to retain our trophies next season

Vinny Perth’s interview has answered my call tonight

I would agree with that! He spoke well, was diplomatic and confident and most importantly was reassuring. He didnt ream off a load of footballing cliches. So we definitely do move on now. Was Stephen Kenny at the book launch as per the audioboom clip or was that from another time?

Return to “General Discussion”