Still Reeling

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Still Reeling

Postby bigalan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Right, Ive held fire until now. As one of my closest pals said this morning, shock has turned to anger.

A very interesting game of chess is been played out with Kenny and Deleany. On the face of it, Kenny appears to have played JD so much so to be offered the gig he craves, albeit in 22 months time. JD will also feel a win, as he has just appointed BOTH FAVOURITES to the Ireland job and so regaining creditability (I know, I know) within the FAI. Its no secret that he is after a bigger UEFA gig in a couple of years, so really what happens SK then is of no interest to him as the can has been kicked down the road, insuring he stays at the helm until then despite recent criticisms from Quinn, Kerr etc.

Bit shocking and annoying how quiet the press have been on taking JD to task over appointing two managers at the same time. This is also the man that gave ONeill/Keane a new INPROVED contract only a short time ago. The same man that promised us a Big Name manager before appointing rookie manager Stephen Staunton (not Stans fault btw). The man that DOES NOT take questions from same journos. The man that was recently involved with Pat Hickey and Olympic Council and the ticket scandal. Remember daddy Joe?

Whilst wishing SK well and remembering all he has achieved with the club, I will still remember the way he dropped us and his backroom staff to replace Noel King. A bitter pill.

Everyone is replaceable. Interesting to watch P6s next move.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:12 pm

I think, if Kenny has be been offered the senior job this time around, we Dundalk fans would’ve wished him well and been happy for him while being disappointed that he was gone.
This shitshow, as I’ve said before, leaves a bad taste.
King Kenny!

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:17 pm

bigalan wrote:Whilst wishing SK well and remembering all he has achieved with the club, I will still remember the way he dropped us and his backroom staff to replace Noel King. A bitter pill.

Everyone is replaceable. Interesting to watch P6s next move.

This is the best description of the whole feeling about this I’ve read. It perfectly sums it up.
King Kenny!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Not one of us thinks Kenny should or would have chosen Dundalk over the senior Ireland job, maybe just questioned the timing from Stephen's pov.

However I think those of us who are angry/disappointed at how things have gone don't see *this* as a great honour for Stephen. And I think we are correct.

I'll add one thing to the mix.

Delaney and the FAI had already decided on Mick before the Denmark game. But they got spooked by the scale of the media push for Kenny. Alan's take above is correct. But add to that imagine if Stephen was still at Dundalk, flying in the spring, and Mick was struggling with the seniors. Delaney would have been under the most pressure he's ever been. And the political huckster in him knows it. So in one move he fills an empty slot at the FAI with a 'progressive' manager while stopping that same manager being used as a stick to beat him with by effectively removing him from the scene. John Delaney effectively sacked Kenny from the League of Ireland to stop him looking bad.

lilywhite66
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lilywhite66 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Some players can play 21s up until there 23 years old think limit is 3, Trevor Clarke Rovers Michael OConnor Linfield, Darragh Leahy Bohs,Jimmy Dunne Hearts, 2 Hale Brothers at Derry, plenty more in England Kenny will have plenty of talent to choose from.

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Nothing will diminish Kennys record at Dundalk but it can't be deniedvthst it ended badly. I hear the backroom staff and players are furious with the way he went.

People were calling for a statement from Dundalk but I haven't heard Kenny acknowledge the backing he got from the club and fans.

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:41 pm

‘Whilst wishing SK well and remembering all he has achieved with the club, I will still remember the way he dropped us and his backroom staff to replace Noel King. A bitter pill.’

Well said. And well put.

I’d have been thrilled if Stephen had got the big job now. And he deserved it. But dropping Dundalk for the U21’s is a kick in the balls.

Meanwhile, more speculation about a familiar face - Balls.ie say Stan is courting the job

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:14 pm

If it is true that Vinny Perth left Skip's wedding to drive and meet Kenny face to face then it is indication of a chap who was shocked and minimum and angry most likely. He was convinced to take a full time job with Dundalk, a gamble with his career on the back of what Stephen Kenny sold him in terms of his overall ambiion for Dundalk. There are players who have signed long term deals eg Michael Duffy that is probably not too happy either. Now we are lucky that this sort of business is done and at least we will be starting with a settled side rather than a rebuild for the new manager but the likes of Benson who hasnt signed that we know of that may reconsider his options.
Its true that SK hasnt addressed how quickly things happened to all with DFC best interests at heart, no moreso than supporters. That the club have been so quiet also is an indication of being knocked sideways. I am finding it hard to reconcile the principled type person that SK is and how he has become complicit in Delaneys manipulating of football in this country. Maybe its unfair to judge and SK felt he had to take his chance in case he never got the chance again but if that was the case then he didnt back himself to be the absolute 1st choice down the line. Im sure the financial considerations and that of his family played a part. It shouldnt matter either but I will be honest and say that the gloating by other club supporters is hard to take too. I dont care if that is ott but its all just a sh1tshow right now. Of course by this time next season if we have a double and another wedge of European money all this will be forgotten and Stephen Kenny forgiven.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Dundalk10 wrote:Nothing will diminish Kennys record at Dundalk but it can't be deniedvthst it ended badly. I hear the backroom staff and players are furious with the way he went.

People were calling for a statement from Dundalk but I haven't heard Kenny acknowledge the backing he got from the club and fans.

It was a real wrench to leave Dundalk football club," he said. "It's been a big part of my life for the last six years.

"We had unprecedented success there. It was a unique period in Irish football history and a privilege to be a part of that. A really special group of players. A tremendous bond with everyone at the football club and the whole town really.

"I'm very confident that Dundalk is in a really strong place. There's a great leadership group there, Vinny Perth, assistant manager, tremendous, Ruairi Higgins, the coach there and Stephen O'Donnell the captain and Brian Gartland as well. They'll have continued success I feel.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:05 pm

If you were offered to quadruple your salary while sitting in a handy job for twenty months, followed by a guarantee of your absolute dream job afterwards what would you do? The suggestion that King Kenny has somehow sold us down the river or done something immoral is ludicrous. It's a no-brainer for Kenny. He owes us the club the square root of nothing, he owes Vinny and the players nothing, he owes you, me and every other DFC obsessive nothing. If anyone has a problem with their boss getting a massive, lucrative and thoroughly well-deserved promotion (and the overall package is the biggest promotion any LoI manager has ever got) then that's their problem, not Stephen's.

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:17 pm

I don’t agree with that seand. And if you’ll pardon the pun everything isn’t black and white. There is a space between being a saint or a sinner.

A lot of comment about what we don’t know happened over weekend. But let’s just list what we do know. I think we know all this:
- U21 job was vacant and FAI wanted SK for that
- SK declined U21 job last week
- Senior job became available suddenly
- FAI now had two jobs to fill
- They spoke to SK who made it known he felt he was a) not leaving Oriel for U2q job b) interested in and capable of senior job
- last Friday it was confirmed McCarthy was getting senior job
- Everyone in Oriel was happy SK was staying and he spent day planning with management for new season
- Delaney offered SK Senior post in 2020 before he told McCarthy but only if he took the U21 post he didn’t want in meantime
- Kenny went for it and everyone from DFCmanagement, to players to fans were shocked
- nobody discussed this proposal in advance with DFC and it seems compensation will not be paid
- SK, Delaney, FAI, McCarthy are all winners in this scenario
- Dundalk are the only losers in the entire scenario

We appear to know all these things. And in terms on integrity they don’t read well for Delaney, FAI or SK.

That’s my view. It could have been handled a lot better and Dundalk were given little thought. I don’t except SK, or anyone, ‘owes’ nobody anything. Dundalk should not have been blindsided like this. And if everything is simply about money, well what’s the point even having a discussion.

In fact, if everything is just about money in this scenario, then my point is made. And it’s even worse than I thought.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:29 pm

No one is saying he owes us anything.

He’s agreed to do a job he doesn’t want.

I don’t call replacing Noel King a promotion.

It’s not exactly obvious that his new total package is more never mind quadruple what he has been earning at Dundalk.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:45 pm

El Paso wrote:No one is saying he owes us anything.

He’s agreed to do a job he doesn’t want.

I don’t call replacing Noel King a promotion.

It’s not exactly obvious that his new total package is more never mind quadruple what he has been earning at Dundalk.

People are suggesting he's owes us something though, or he's been nefarious in some way. SK's integrity is being directly questioned, which is shocking in my opinion.

Agree that replacing King isn't a promotion and SK agreed too and declined the U21 job. Getting the rather weird U21-for-2-years-then-senior-manager job is a massive promotion though.

I was being somewhat facetious about money, but I heard a figure of 500K per annum for SK, which I'm guessing is a multiple of what he was on. [Figures could be wrong, but unquestionably it's a good move for him financially- but that's beside the point anyway as it's a good move for him footballingly.]

The FAI, surprise suprise, haven't covered themselves in glory in the way they treated Dundalk, SK or McCarthy, but the suggestion that SK has done something underhand or that he has somehow wronged Dundalk is ludicrous, in my opinion, and an insult to SK.

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:56 pm

‘People are suggesting he's owes us something though, or he's been nefarious in some way. SK's integrity is being directly questioned, which is shocking in my opinion.’

seand he owed the club that employed him, and that he was contracted to until 2020, and who have treated him superbly, a conversation. Maybe a day or two even.

The FAI ‘owed’ Dundalk some respect, some decency, some consideration. And - in my view anyway - compensation.

Stephen is just going to have to accept that there are a lot of people in Dundalk disappointed with both the manner of his exit and the fact he’s gone to the U21’s. He’ll have to accept it. End of.

I’m a Dundalk fan, not a Stephen Kenny fan, and have been since 1977. All my life. And will be u til I die. John Delaney and his chequebook or no John Delaney and his cheqyebook.

It is possible to be both grateful AND disappointed in Stephen now. I am both. And I wish him well personally. The FAI can rot to the core for all I care about them now though.

Sorry, but there it is.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:07 pm

HildaorHoban? wrote:I couldn’t care less if they get to the Euros or not to be honest. I have lost interest in FAI after this affair. It had seriously wained anyway to be honest. Any money I have to see games has been spent on LOI and Dundalk for a while now.

If Ireland U21’s were playing in Clancy Park I wouldn’t go down. I feel no affinity with any of it now to be honest.

I agree 100% with you.
The Back of the Wall

Return to “General Discussion”