Still Reeling

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Still Reeling

Postby dell1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:23 pm

I was just reading a piece there by Owen Cowzer in one of the daily rags and it mentioned that Kenny really caught the bug in wanting the Ireland job experiencing the atmosphere in the lead up to the play-off humiliation v Denmark, he said that he went to all the games and that was the best atmosphere since the Aviva was built. Now maybe I got the wrong end of the stick but I was sure that he said previously in a podcast that he did that he didnt go to Ireland games or didnt watch them beacause it was so far removed from the way he felt the game should be played. Was that a piece of FAI spin or did I completely get what he said before wrong. I think it was an off the ball podcast??

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:29 pm

HildaorHoban? wrote:‘People are suggesting he's owes us something though, or he's been nefarious in some way. SK's integrity is being directly questioned, which is shocking in my opinion.’

seand he owed the club that employed him, and that he was contracted to until 2020, and who have treated him superbly, a conversation. Maybe a day or two even.

The FAI ‘owed’ Dundalk some respect, some decency, some consideration. And - in my view anyway - compensation.

Stephen is just going to have to accept that there are a lot of people in Dundalk disappointed with both the manner of his exit and the fact he’s gone to the U21’s. He’ll have to accept it. End of.

I’m a Dundalk fan, not a Stephen Kenny fan, and have been since 1977. All my life. And will be u til I die. John Delaney and his chequebook or no John Delaney and his cheqyebook.

It is possible to be both grateful AND disappointed in Stephen now. I am both. And I wish him well personally. The FAI can rot to the core for all I care about them now though.

Sorry, but there it is.

Bottom line is if Stephen had a clause in his contract to leave, then he can clearly leave. The bottom line is we owe Stephen a lot more than he will ever owe us. Irrespective of the prize money he won us, which must be close to €7m when you take in 4 league titles, 2 fai cups and the europa league money and champs league money into account. We were a club at our lowest ebb in 2012. He singlehandedly yes singlehandedly had the vision and wherewithal to bring us successes that even Jim McLaughlin hadn't brought to us 40 yrs previously. He instilled a footballing brand and professionalism into the club that hadn't been seen previously. He instilled through the football team a deep sense of pride, passion and belief in a town that was dead on it's feet. He dragged it up and reignited a fire and pride in the town even in people who have no interest in football. He brought us on a magical footballing journey not only in Ireland but throughout Europe. We all knew Stephen wasn't gonna stay here forever. The perfect scenario was for him to stay til we won 18. The perfect 2 fingers to rovers sacking him. All great things come to an end and isn't it better to end with the ultimate accolade of managing your country than acrimoniously by joining another loi club or worse being sacked by the board. The man deserves a statue or stadium named after him not bullshit posts by keyboard warriors on here. I for one thank Stephen Kenny for giving me the opportunity to share this magical journey with my 8 yr old son. Lifetime memories that skipped a generation of children between 1994 and 2014..
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:31 pm

dell1 wrote:I was just reading a piece there by Owen Cowzer in one of the daily rags and it mentioned that Kenny really caught the bug in wanting the Ireland job experiencing the atmosphere in the lead up to the play-off humiliation v Denmark, he said that he went to all the games and that was the best atmosphere since the Aviva was built. Now maybe I got the wrong end of the stick but I was sure that he said previously in a podcast that he did that he didnt go to Ireland games or didnt watch them beacause it was so far removed from the way he felt the game should be played. Was that a piece of FAI spin or did I completely get what he said before wrong. I think it was an off the ball podcast??

It was an earlier podcast with eamon dunphy on the stand (very good podcast btw). Kenny said he stopped going to games when Charlton took over.

Btw was the Denmark ply off game a party for the whole squad as there was a corp box taken out by prospective new owners
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Postby McNultys Discopants » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:31 pm

I've held my p1ss on this for long enough and I'd pretty much echo everything bigAlan, El Paso, HH, collymull have said before me.

Shocked and still angry, I thought the storm was weathered when the McCarthy news was being filtered out and then BOOM...getting hit with this.

While Stephen Kenny has been brilliant and no one can question that and I'm grateful for some amazing nights that I never in a million years thought were possible this has all left a very sour and bitter taste in the mouth and the way things played out he has tarnished these great years slightly.

All the bullsh1t he started feeding the media about the Ireland gig and how "he'd be honoured" blah, blah, blah.... Not once did he mention he was happy at Dundalk, contracted for another 2 years and looking forward to building on last years success....

Hard to believe barely 3 weeks ago he's at the square filling all of us with what turns out to be complete fcukin bullshit.

Stephen Kenny has proven one thing in all of this... there's no loyalty in football and the one thing Stephen Kenny cares about is......Stephen Kenny.

I hope it works out for the man, I really do - but I've a feeling he's been sold a lemon and if it all goes pear shaped for him in a couple of years time in the senior gig he'll be washed up and career over at 50 odd, albeit a millionaire.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:33 pm

HildaorHoban? wrote:‘People are suggesting he's owes us something though, or he's been nefarious in some way. SK's integrity is being directly questioned, which is shocking in my opinion.’

seand he owed the club that employed him, and that he was contracted to until 2020, and who have treated him superbly, a conversation. Maybe a day or two even.

The FAI ‘owed’ Dundalk some respect, some decency, some consideration. And - in my view anyway - compensation.

Stephen is just going to have to accept that there are a lot of people in Dundalk disappointed with both the manner of his exit and the fact he’s gone to the U21’s. He’ll have to accept it. End of.

I’m a Dundalk fan, not a Stephen Kenny fan, and have been since 1977. All my life. And will be u til I die. John Delaney and his chequebook or no John Delaney and his cheqyebook.

It is possible to be both grateful AND disappointed in Stephen now. I am both. And I wish him well personally. The FAI can rot to the core for all I care about them now though.

Sorry, but there it is.

HrH we're broadly in agreement, to be honest. Dundalk deserved compensation from the FAI, even if Stephen had a get-out clause in his contract. We all know the FAI have no interest in and no respect for Dundalk or the rest of the league. That should not reflect on Kenny.

It's Dundalk all the way for me too, but I am a fan of Kenny's too, in a secondary manner. (I still love Towell, Horgan, Lawless, Lawlor and numerous other exes too!)

You say he owed DFC a conversation- did they not have one? Perhaps he could have given a bit more notice, but, really, if he's exercising a get-out clause to get at his dream job (in 20 months time!) what good would a 'conversation' do Dundalk?

And we all know that he's not really gone to the U21s in preference to Dundalk, sure didn't he reject that offer already.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:37 pm

Well I've posted a lot on this since the other day. I'll summarise it like this:

I love the King, he's primarily responsible for some of the happiest moments of my life and memories I'll savour to my grave, he's made me more proud of where I'm from than I ever thought possible. I've shed tears of joy. I hope he gets the Ireland manager job and when he does get it that he eclipses everyone who had it before him.

His ambition is obvious, the fact he would eventually leave for a higher calling has been obvious since the Europa League run. Indeed I talked on here about succession planning back then (viewtopic.php?p=206242#p206242). I have no personal objection to him leaving us for the Ireland job.

However while he 'owes us nothing' I do think he has allowed this to be handled badly. He has been bounced into a role he clearly has no interest in and Delaney didn't even let him meet his own players and staff to say goodbye - people he persuaded to buy into his project. People who heard those passionate speeches in the Square. He told the club he wasn't interested in the U21 job he has taken as recently as last Wednesday. I think that's bad form, but that's football.

My main complaint is that he has allowed Delaney treat him like a pawn for his own political purposes for the promise of the senior job. If he was ambitious as people claim he would have said "I'll come to work with the FAI at the end of the 2019 season, take the senior job in summer 2020, but I want that crack off the Champions League first, finish this project". Instead he's managing half an U21 campaign that doesn't start for months. He'll achieve nothing in that role, and, if anything, risks being forgotten about by the time he's due to take the senior job. He's also after buying into the notion that the League's best ever manager isn't ready after all, but a few months with the 21s and magically will be. Nice backhanded compliment there!

Remember, there's nothing, absolutely nothing, to stop any CEO of the FAI buying him out of that contract in 2020. Then he'll be 49, rich and humiliated.

I'm not questioning his integrity, suggesting he has done anything underhanded or that he has wronged Dundalk. But I do think he has made a number of mistakes here in the pursuit of his big promotion and I hope he won't come to regret them.
Last edited by El Paso on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:48 pm

Can not believe people are questioning Stephen Kenny's integrity. The man poured his heart and soul into the club and the town! He has openly derided the condition of Oriel Park and encouraged investment in facilities which went in direct opposition of the owners, how many managers have the balls to do that? He didn't do it for his own legacy, he did it for the fans. Some people on here are reacting like he is came into your house, rode your wife, ate your food and left at the earliest opportunity.

Yeah ok, he put himself out there for the National job, which no one can begrudge him for, but because the FAI see the LoI as dirt on their shoe he has to serve some bizarre penance with the u21s before he is deemed worthy of the senior job which he is guaranteed. If SK had left us for any other job I would feel let down by the man, but this has clearly been an ambition and dream of his for many years.

Stephen has reinvigorated this club and taken it to unbelievable heights. Many of the fondest moments in my life were down to SK and this Dundalk side and I won't be quick to forget them. Of course we must move on and get behind the lads and be ready to ride again when the new man is appointed, but taking shots at SK because he left us for his dream job and a chance to turn around irish football like he did with us is nothing short of a thundering disgrace...
Mon the Town!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:53 pm

I see the people who equate thoughtful criticism of a specific event with slander are kicking off.

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Good comments. It’s like a self help group in here. I hope Stephen reads some of the stuff but I doubt he will. To be honest he doesn’t look in the slightest bit bothered with Dundalk or ‘the project’ since Saturday. He’s so ‘over’ Dundalk so quickly it’s a bit of a shock.

One good thing in last few days though. The club, under the severest provocation, have behaved impeccably. Their demeanor and dignity have stood in sharp contrast to the behaviour of everyone else in this shabby affair. I leaving the U21 ruse out of the only statement they did make was class. Top class

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:10 pm

Do people think he could have capitulated under some sort of pressure from Delaney ' if you dont take this job now I will make sure you dont get it in 2020' or something to that effect? With the sweetener of the salary.

Its was all done and dusted before there could be an formal approach to the club, is that allowed even by the lawmakers of the game. The FAI were extremely quick to knock the idea of compensation on the head to the media and how often does Delaney engage with the media ever yet he hopped on that immediately. They have a debt to service but a proper PR job would be to say undisclosed/small buyout clause or the like rather than acting as if it was a coup to get their man for nothing but also then paying another guy 1.2mil + his coaches. But thats expecting a bit much from the FAI of course. We know the contempt they have for LoI but it will catch up on delaney one day.....

HildaorHoban?
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HildaorHoban? » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:20 pm

‘ but a proper PR job would be to say undisclosed/small buyout clause or the like rather than acting as if it was a coup to get their man for nothing’

That’s exactly right. It’s like ‘what? Give a poxy league of Ireland club money for stealing their Manager? Don’t be so stupid. We need all our millions for Mick McFailure and Robbie (too)Keen’

It’s mega disrespectful. And whether people like it or not SK not only engaged in it. He facilitated it!

It even happened while his team were at their Captains wedding for Jaysus sake!

Stephen, at the very least, should have met with Dundalk, told them of his plans, and tried to prepare a statement. Maybe even done a presser from Oriel. But he ran with the Delaney circus instead which included treating Dundalk like dirt.

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:33 pm

"Some people on here are reacting like he is came into your house, rode your wife, ate your food and left at the earliest opportunity."

Up until Saturday last, he had my permission to

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:37 pm

Don’t forget Dundalk has also been good to Stephen Kenny it’s not all one way here , his career after Rovers was going no where fast he was down , he got the Dundalk job and was given a free rein as such ,with no interference from the board.. The bit that I have a problem with is His players finding out on social media ,the very least they deserved was for him to ring and tell them himself before the news broke,wonder how he would feel if the shoe was on the other foot , am sure some of the players signed new contracts because of Kenny the very least they deserved was to be shown a little respect and be told individually..

shep
Reserves
Reserves

Postby shep » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:24 pm

Have to say I am still very annoyed about how it all transpired. Need to move on and look forward to season ahead,but FAI and Stephen have left a lot to be desired in how they have handled things. Dundalk is our club so for obvious reasons I am more worried about our club now than heaping praise on a former employee.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:27 pm

Agree , we are not reeling anymore. Time to close thread.

Return to “General Discussion”