New Jersey

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: New Jersey

Post by Pepsi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:49 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:39 pm
Pepsi wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:51 am
Ezeikial wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:35 am

That worked out well for Mal Brannigan
Funny how Mal and Mark more or less went straight back into work with bigger clubs in key positions. I personally feel our owners brought in that level of management too early. The club wasnt ready for a CEO from an English club enviroment as the LOI as it was wasnt anywhere near the first 5-6 divisions over the water. Irish football is too local, its based on who you know instead of what you know. That is why Andy and Paul did a great job not only on the pitch but also off it...they pulled the local business community together to support the club, Fyffes as sponsors, Horseware making kits, people identifying with the club and its partners. I am sure if someone went to Fyffes with an idea they would listen, however that would depend on what they are paying as main sponsor and how those negociations really went before the last contract was signed (remember there was a little doubt if they would renew).

All in all we are all guilty of forgetting where the club was not so long ago. The Fyffes logo or better said their corporate identity will not change to keep a fans happy and make a kit look better. If the away kit was yellow you would have lads wanting it black, it the home kit was plain white people would be looking for black trim.....you will never make everyone happy.
You are great craic, Pepsi

Are you suggesting that Mal Brannigan was too sophisticated a negotiator for Fyffes?

Do you think Fyffes will learn how to interact with 'that level of management' in a few years?
No I believe Mal Brannigan got a culture shock when he took over Dundalk. I seriously believe he didnt realise how bad things were before he arrived and seen the day to day of the club. I would suspect that he went into the negociations with Fyffes, beleiving he could make demands of some sort and got a culture shock when he realised what was possible and that Fyffes were calling the shots. The club would have very few arguments to put them under pressure and Fyffes probably lose money on the deal as it stands. Not exactly what he would be used to in the UK.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:29 pm

Last edited by El Paso on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:56 pm

I doubt he knew much if anything about Irish football, was made promises that things were changing, European football etc. and he said its worth a shot. Close to home, he would have been on good money and he would have had very little to lose. At worst he would walk away able to say I ran club in European competition, worked for American owners........best case he could have claimed to have changed the face of Irish football and led an Irish club into Europe whilst building a modern club. Easy money if you are offered it.......if you have no links to the local area or club.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:01 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:49 pm

No I believe Mal Brannigan got a culture shock when he took over Dundalk. I seriously believe he didnt realise how bad things were before he arrived and seen the day to day of the club. I would suspect that he went into the negociations with Fyffes, beleiving he could make demands of some sort and got a culture shock when he realised what was possible and that Fyffes were calling the shots. The club would have very few arguments to put them under pressure and Fyffes probably lose money on the deal as it stands. Not exactly what he would be used to in the UK.
So Brannigan went into negotiations making demands that Fyffes weren't willing to meet, yet had no back-up plan?

It appears that he couldn't see that he was alienating them and was unable or unwilling to find a compromise. Having an alternative sponsor would have been helpful if he opted to play hardball with a major sponsor who were committed to the club since 2012.

You paint a very poor picture of a supposed high level, experienced football administrator paralyzed by the culture shock of Dundalk FC
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:18 pm

How would you descride the near loss of Fyffes as sponsor before the signing of the last contract?? How do you descride the need for a then non board member and father of the owner to walk in and take over negociations to get Hoban signed up??? Why do you think the club seem to have taken a different approach this season......do we have a CEO from the UK yet?? Do we have a twitter loving chairman??

People have to understand LOI football is not in a position to make demands from any potential sponsor, regardless of how big they are. How many internationally based partners do the club have??? If Mal or Mark were on the ball they should have been fighting tooth and nail to get some of the big international players in town on board.......where is the pitch side advertising from Paypal, Ebay, Digiweb, ABB, GlenDimplex, Zerox....why are they not club partners, the new Chinese company coming in...ask them to support the club and advertise their arrival locally. Have they refused or have they even been approached?? Why are BoyleSports sponsoring a Dublin club when having its head office in town???

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:44 pm

Last edited by El Paso on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:48 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:18 pm
How would you descride the near loss of Fyffes as sponsor before the signing of the last contract?? How do you descride the need for a then non board member and father of the owner to walk in and take over negociations to get Hoban signed up??? Why do you think the club seem to have taken a different approach this season......do we have a CEO from the UK yet?? Do we have a twitter loving chairman??

People have to understand LOI football is not in a position to make demands from any potential sponsor, regardless of how big they are. How many internationally based partners do the club have??? If Mal or Mark were on the ball they should have been fighting tooth and nail to get some of the big international players in town on board.......where is the pitch side advertising from Paypal, Ebay, Digiweb, ABB, GlenDimplex, Zerox....why are they not club partners, the new Chinese company coming in...ask them to support the club and advertise their arrival locally. Have they refused or have they even been approached?? Why are BoyleSports sponsoring a Dublin club when having its head office in town???
I'm confused. Is this linked to any particular earlier conversation?

I got the impression you were partial to the Mal and Marks level of management abilities, but just that they were ahead of their time in Dundalk
Pepsi wrote:

Funny how Mal and Mark more or less went straight back into work with bigger clubs in key positions. I personally feel our owners brought in that level of management too early.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:54 pm

El Paso wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:44 pm
Pepsi wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:18 pm
If Mal or Mark were on the ball they should have been fighting tooth and nail to get some of the big international players in town on board.......where is the pitch side advertising from Paypal, Ebay, Digiweb, ABB, GlenDimplex, Zerox....why are they not club partners, the new Chinese company coming in...ask them to support the club and advertise their arrival locally. Have they refused or have they even been approached?? Why are BoyleSports sponsoring a Dublin club when having its head office in town???
Good questions.

I believe this word salad, which people not a million miles away continuously trot out as an excuse for doing nothing at all, is supposed to be the answer:
Sponsorship, Fyffes etc. are on board, is there room to increase income streams with established sponsors??? I have said it before, I would be interest to know if Peak6 have ever considered using their own investment portfolio.....we have to achieve something in Europe to make it attractive for them. etoro is one of the most widespread sponsors within English football so Dundalk wouldnt exactly be high on their agenda today, whereas Fyffes have the local link...
My point is that they have a local link being based close to the club and potentially employing fans. They may be more inclined to spend money than companies within the Peak6 portfolio at this moment in time.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:01 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:48 pm

I got the impression you were partial to the Mal and Marks level of management abilities, but just that they were ahead of their time in Dundalk
Pepsi wrote:

Funny how Mal and Mark more or less went straight back into work with bigger clubs in key positions. I personally feel our owners brought in that level of management too early.
Mal and Mark are top level managers in their own right......as I said before I think they arrived in Dundalk at the wrong time. The club nor the league are ready for such lads marching into town, with their ideas and methods from the UK, to run a club who can win max €150-200K per year in national competitions. The brand all round isnt developed enough for that level of management and if either are honest they will probably admit they could do very little for the club due to the restraints on Irish football. I would however have loved to see either get a shot at running the LOI or the FAI for that matter....there they could potentially have professionalised a lot and brough bags of experience with them.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:14 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:01 pm
Ezeikial wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:48 pm

Pepsi wrote:

Mal and Mark are top level managers in their own right......as I said before I think they arrived in Dundalk at the wrong time. The club nor the league are ready for such lads marching into town, with their ideas and methods from the UK, to run a club who can win max €150-200K per year in national competitions. The brand all round isnt developed enough for that level of management and if either are honest they will probably admit they could do very little for the club due to the restraints on Irish football. I would however have loved to see either get a shot at running the LOI or the FAI for that matter....there they could potentially have professionalised a lot and brough bags of experience with them.
I'd love to hear more about these 'ideas and methods from the UK' that were just ahead of their time here.

Presumably losing the clubs main sponsor in the close season was not part of some high level UK football-inspired intricate strategy?

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:48 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:14 pm
I'd love to hear more about these 'ideas and methods from the UK' that were just ahead of their time here.

Presumably losing the clubs main sponsor in the close season was not part of some high level UK football-inspired intricate strategy?
First of all at no point did I say it was as you put it "Presumably losing the clubs main sponsor in the close season was not part of some high level UK football-inspired intricate strategy". What I said was Irish football works differently to what they are used to, its more about who you know instead of what you know. Fyffes did not come on board because Dundalk FC were on the telly or because they would get international exposure, they came on board because they wanted to support 2 local lads saving the local club. It is not a profit making marketing deal for them I would assume.

To the topic of ideas and methods...
Lets look at the figures....English League 1 teams get between £645,000 and £677,000 respectively for taking part, League 2 every club gets £472,000 regardless of where they finish. Add to that an FA and league management group who have the interests of the league and clubs at heart, companies willing to sponsor due to TV deals, potential FA cup encounters with PL clubs etc. and compare it to the FAI and LOI to date.

What have Dundalk to offer potential sponsors??? What TV deal have the FAI or LOI in place to attract sponsors??

Both Mal and Mark came into the LOI from a well run and funded league system in the UK. Neither had the local contacts nor would they have been familiar with the workings of the FAI nor football in Ireland. They served their trades in the UK game and would surely have tried to put what they learned into effect at Dundalk.

Now can you imagine when either walked into Oriel and said we have to generate more cash.....what can we do??
1. Ticket prices: Leave that alone...we have approx. 3k attendance....dont want to upset them or lose them
2. Merchandise: We have a local supplier, very good but not much to exploit there, otherwise nothing on the market
3. Match day income: Sing Li and co....money from the gate and bar is all that is on offer
4. Improve the ground: How are we going to finance it?? €3 million in the bank but that is a drop on a hot stone for what is needed. Banks wont touch us with €170k max earnings per season, Euro money is not safe and our running costs are over €2 million per year. Banks wont touch us....
5. Government FAI support: Irish government issue money to lobbies, Dundalk FC doesnt have one. Louth GAA and a local TD are lobbying for a new ground, JD and his mates in high places are trying to get Drawda a ground.....
6. Develope kids and sell them: Have to find them first, have to compete with Rovers and their academy. Add to that the English clubs plucking the 14-15 year olds......
7 Sponsorship: Have Fyffes, Credit Union, DKIT, Fast Fix.....see what else you can get. Not much money out there however, LOI has a bad rep.

That is exactly the moment that both would start asking themselves why they were in Dundalk.....you have 2 options, stay quiet and take the money or stay quiet, take the money and quickly look for something else where you have a foundation to work off.

Dont misunderstand me, I love the club but the hard facts are there for everyone to see. Football in Ireland is on its knees and that has been the case for as long as I can remember. The government and FAI neglected it, clubs lived/live off shoestring budgets and it was accepted up until recently. Now all parties have to step up and make the most of the chance they have. It will not happen overnight but within 10 years Irish football should be in a very good place if all parties are serious about change. And to take it back to the topic of the thread....for the very reasons above no fans should be running down the club for the blue Fyffes logo on a kit...they should be happy we have a club to support, they should be happy that Fyffes are willing to pump money into a project call Dundalk FC and they should moreso be happy that Peak6 are the owners at this moment. Instead of putting effort into complaining about the kit, put the effort into getting your mates and family up to Oriel. Because only when attendances and gate income improve will we see long lasting improvements to the ground and club in general. Imagine what the club could do with the income from an extra 500 or 1000 fans per home game......

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:21 pm

There has been a lot of hot air recently about the Fyffes club sponsorship and how their logo looks on the jersey

Pepsi even told us that it's not a viable marketing deal for them (presumably without being able to say how much they are paying)
Pepsi wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:48 pm
Fyffes did not come on board because Dundalk FC were on the telly or because they would get international exposure, they came on board because they wanted to support 2 local lads saving the local club. It is not a profit making marketing deal for them I would assume.
I'll wage a bob or two that it pales into insignificance with the reported €200k that JD are supposed to have contracted with Rovers (€100k per season)

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/jd-a ... onsorship/

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:28 pm

Bought the carbon training shirt for myself last week and the red sash one for my kid. Both very nice. It was my first chance seeing the actual shirts up close. So unimpressive.

Missed Pat's away shirt release last week. Again, better than ours and they also have a hideous sponsor logo. But Umbro even did their crest in matching colours to make it work. Ironically colours that resemble those on our ‘old’ crest. Fkn Devlin...

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:51 pm

I've had an idea about shirts, just wondering what people think.

How about every year we introduce a third kit in the colours of a nominated charity? I was really proud of what the club did for Temple Street last year and autism awareness last week. At the end of each season the players' third shirts would be auctioned off with the proceeds going to that charity - if we ever bring back an end of season night! We should make it a thing we're known for. We don't have to take Fyffes off the front if they'd prefer we didn't. Just add the charity's name on the back. A blue third shirt for autism awareness this season I would love to get behind.

Also how about from next season forward our away shirt always be the colours of whoever our main sponsor is? Our main sponsor might be willing to pony up slightly more if their colours form the basis of our away shirts and maybe the colours wouldn't clash so badly! I must admit I really liked our yellow and blue shirt from a few years back.

None of this is new, or original obviously. But it might be good to make these things a new tradition for the club, rather than a one off thing.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:35 pm

Think the above idea is great. Would however reach a point where you would be accused of taking sides if you take in a charity which is not as popular as another every year. I personally would love to see the Temple Street deal extended, maybe selling off the kit sponsorship to other parties as part of the deal, with all proceeds being donated of course. We could wear the kit in the cup as last year and at the end of the season ask players to sign their kits, add maybe boots or gloves and sell them off at an auction. Would imagine an online auction would reach a greater supporters group and maybe generate more for a good cause.