Fyffes End 7-year Sponsorship of Dundalk FC

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Fyffes End 7-year Sponsorship of Dundalk FC

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:38 pm

If the ending of the Fyffes sponsorship deal was unexpected from the clubs perspective, it begs the question why?

If the contract was due to expire at the end of this season, surely it would be prudent management to either negotiate and sign a new deal with Fyffes or if this was not forthcoming several months ago to open negotiations with new prospects.

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:29 pm

The only excuses that are forgivable are a) that they do have someone else lined up and it’s just not finalised or b) that Fyffes indicated they intended continuing and changed their minds late on.

Anything else is a bit of a dereliction of duty. If there isn’t a replacement lined up you’d wonder what Brannigan in particular is contributing on the business front.
Last edited by El Paso on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butch
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby butch » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:37 pm

I blame the Koreans.
ill say this "this".

cooney
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cooney » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 am

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 am

Idle speculation....

Maybe fyffes weren't overly happy with harp larger logo on a retro jersey that is likely to sell more than the home and away jerseys combined for the coming year.

Or maybe Mal tried to squeeze more value from the sponsorship deal, and was rebuffed. Part of his remit is likely to be maximising income. I don't think we will have too many issues sourcing a new sponsor, and quite possibly the next deal could be much more lucrative.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:45 am

Wasn’t there rumours last year that Fyffes we’re going to pull the plug but then signed up for another year. I definitely heard that last year but, as I say, may have just been a rumour.
King Kenny!

dieseldlk
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby dieseldlk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:00 am

Yeah I heard it last year alright. I've heard that we possibly have Blackstone for next season.

Stephen
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby Stephen » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 pm

The fact is Fyffes were good for Dundalk FC and Dundalk FC were good for Fyffes. Advertising and product exposure is expensive and the club gave the company a Europe-wide platform. But time to move on and I would expect that finding a big name sponsor wouldn’t be that difficult. But thank you to Fyffes for their valuable support and the part they played in the clubs, to be continued, golden era..
20th May 2014. Dundalk 7 Drogheda United 0

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:16 am

Good to see you back on the forum Stephen!

Fyffes have moved on with their sponsorhip of a single entity like Dundalk and look to be getting involved with more national health and fitness campaigns. It's more likely to be a strategic type change than any issues with Dundalk FC. It's not that their ability to fund sponsorship thats an issue but the amount of staff time dedicated to whatever they are sponsoring id imagine. This seems to be more and more where they are pushing toward, http://freddyfyffes.ie

If there was a company that I would love to see even more associated with DFC and be on the front of the jersey it is StatsSports. Local connections with a broadly known and growing international brand. It boils down to the figures of course but Blackstone Motors is a step back for the club on being associated with a brand in the sort of league as Fyffes rather than a regional sponsor. It does make a difference what's on the front of the jersey beyond the sponsorship income imo especially when playing in Europe. A top sponsor turns heads and grabs attention for a small club like Dundalk with the floating fan or those who know little of Irish Football abroad. Like 'if they are sponsored by PS4' eg they must be a decent outfit' ....just doesnt have the same ring as Clonakillty Sausages, TopOil, Scotchhall, Dundalk Cabs or the plethora of construction companies as LoI main shirt sponsors (betting companies and colleges now catching up) :p

It is where being owned and associated with Peak6 should in theory make it easier to get a top sponsor. We are not going to be associated with negative stuff like players not being paid eh for now anyway and subsequently have a sponsor associated with negative PR. Peak6 themselves are a global brand so should have contacts that might be interested especially with the potential for CL and EL groups stages next season (yes thats being super confident but isnt that the sell you make to a sponsor!). WuXi pharmaceuticals are currently building their European base here so hop on that when they might want to make a good impression locally (there would be at least plenty of nameplays for journalists).

I think Fyffes got plenty for their sponsorship of Dundalk FC as Dundalk did from Fyffes and that can been shown to potential sponsors, Id imagine that pitch is being made. Pitch at the level of a car manufacturer not a car dealership. Such continued progress off the pitch is as important as on the pitch

Return to “General Discussion”