The Three Wise Men.

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: The Three Wise Men.

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Irish Times has a more extensive interview with Perth where he confirms Dylan Connolly is on his way.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:59 pm

El Paso wrote:Don’t see why the focus is on Gill. Perth is in charge, not Gill.

My attitude is entirely if it’s not broke don’t fix it. The top class managers the people banging on about ambition seem to think were queuing up for the job don’t exist. Chancers in the mould of a Brian Laws were ten a penny and we did well to steer clear.
I've been thinking about this and although I do feel there are better options out there than Gill, Perth is the defacto manager and he probably does deserve the opportunity to choose his backroom team. After all he'll be the one to get the chop should things not work out.

Best of luck to them and hopefully we're looking back on this thread in 10 months time laughing at some of the posts, mine included
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

holidaysong
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by holidaysong » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:06 pm

VP is the clear #1 and therefore it's important that he had someone with the badge that wouldn't undermine him and he could trust. I'm sure this type of succession plan was already in mind for the owners (although likely being implemented a year or two sooner). It's hardly a surprise appointment and not really an exciting one either, if truth be told. I hope for VP's sake that we don't get off to a mare of a start. Otherwise the pressure will come on very quickly along with the inevitable comparisons to SK.

Also, hopefully it's fully transparent who is the #1 in terms of the media (post match interviews, etc.) with VP being the one interviewed rather than Gill. This is important I feel to ensure credibility.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:11 pm

I would be amazed if Perth wasn’t on to Kenny regularly. Particularly early doors and for post match feedback.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:14 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
Wow - how do you arrive at that conclusion?
Process of elimination. No one else has achieved the success he has.
Liam Buckley has at least 2 league titles and 2 FAi cups in addition to League Cup wins
I was thinking of this earlier, surely Buckley is now the most successful manager, and decided to think what he had won, I got to two cups and one league, but mr wiki set me right, he has 2 leagues and 2 cups. I forgot about 1998/99.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:21 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Irish Times has a more extensive interview with Perth where he confirms Dylan Connolly is on his way.
Presumably this is the Emmet Malone article mentioned above
Vinny Perth will stick to Stephen Kenny’s Dundalk blueprint
Continuity the key for Lilywhites as management restructure is made official

Vinny Perth says his plan is to stick with the hugely successful blueprint set down at Dundalk over the last few years, during which Stephen Kenny led the team to four league titles, as many cups and a few very memorable nights in Europe.

Perth, who will have the official title of Head Coach due to the FAI requiring a top flight manager to have a Pro Licence, was effectively named as Kenny’s successor on Tuesday when the club also confirmed that Ruaidhri Higgins will work as his assistant and John Gill, who does have the highest coaching qualification, will return to the club as “First Team Coach”.

Despite the managerial musical chairs, Perth insists that his intention is to have the team dancing to very much the same tune, with the style of football that won so many admirers over the past five years a key component of his plan for the future.

“I know some people find it hard to believe because of the way I played the game myself,” he says, “but that style of football is very much a part of my philosophy and I would have been one of a lot of people here working hard to allow all of the players in the team to play that way.

“A lot of people have said to me that I have big boots to fill and of course Stephen was a huge part of the success achieved by the club in recent seasons, but there was a team behind him and I like to think my played my part in all of it. I’m disappointed not to be able to take over as ‘manager’, but I see myself first and foremost as a coach, someone who can help players and improve them, and I’m looking forward to continuing to do that.

“I’m delighted to have Ruaidhri to work with and I think John is a great appointment; he brings really valuable management experience. I’ve known him a long time, he was very helpful to me when I was starting off as a young coach and he’s somebody I’ve often bounced things off since. I think he’s going to make a really important contribution.”

Perth says he knew he had a pretty good chance of getting the job from the morning after Kenny confirmed he was departing, when the American owners held a conference call with him during which they repeatedly referred to the importance of achieving continuity at the club. He has effectively been doing it for several weeks now but the announcement was held up by the search for the right Pro License holder to be part of the team and some other structural considerations.

One of those has been reported to be the impending appointment of someone to help with transfers, but Perth insists that while the board is looking at developing things “above my level”, the management team will retain “120 per cent” of control over who comes in and that what is being proposed is a greater use of the expertise already in place at Bournemouth where Dundalk’s owners also have an interest.

“The club is going to continue to mainly sign players from Ireland but when we do look at players from outside it is likely that Bournemouth have already scouted them and the aim would be to tap into that,” he said. An announcement is expected on that front in the coming week, however, along with the appointment of someone to succeed Higgins in what was an important scouting role.

The squad for the coming season is, he says, largely complete although he says he would like to add a couple of players as “it is not as deep as people seem to think it is.” He says the club has its eye on up to half a dozen players but that it will be later in the month before it becomes clear who is available and points to the example of Krisztian Adjoran as somebody who came in on loan and made an impact last season.

In the meantime, Dylan Connolly is set to leave the club, he confirms, with Wimbledon his “likely” destination. “There has been interest but we weren’t willing to entertain it until we had the Daniel Kelly deal over the line but that’s done now so it looks very likely that Dylan will be moving on.”
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.3745374
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:22 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:I posted this in another thread forgetting about this thread. So I'll just repost it here.
Now it has finally been confirmed what is everyone's opinion? For me I always knew it was coming but have to say am very disappointed by it. Club have shown absolutely no ambition with this announcement. We needed to kick on and I don't think this management team have the same drive or determination that Kenny had. Nor do I think the opposition will fear us as much as they did under Kenny. We have gone from the best manager this club has ever had, and possibly the greatest the league has ever seen who became the first Irish manager to win points in the group stages of European Competition, and first Dundalk manager to not only retain a league title but to win 3 in a row and 4 in 5 seasons. For me this is the most alarming aspect from the club's announcement today: "John Gill, who led Dundalk Football Club to promotion in 2008 in his previous spell with the club, will have specific responsibility for the first team, and will be assisted by Perth on first team matters". To me this reads that Gill is in charge and Perth answers to him no matter what way the club want to spin or sugarcoat this.. I hope I am wrong. I know people will say support the club and don't worry I will always support this club through the good and the bad as I have done since I was 5 almost 42 yrs ago. But this decision by our American overlords is very underwhelming and shows they sre unwilling to invest in our club, be that in the infrastructure or a progressive management team. God help us.
I still think this is a little harsh Niall. I’d much prefer this set up with VP and supported by the two others than having a big name from say the uk to come in with little experience of the game in Ireland.

This is of course a risk as the trend in most clubs is that no 2’s have not done great, but I still think it’s worth the risk as we have the players onboard, and to maintain as much lack of disruption as possible, also worth nothing that all 14 who played in the cup final are contracted. However its big boots to follow after SK, no question about that, and VP will need to get off to a good start.

I’m fully backing him and the team to do well. Let’s all get behind them and offer them our full support.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
Robbiedundalk2 wrote: They have just outlined the new management team and am sure there was lots going on in the background regarding our friends at the FAI before the club were allowed to go with this solution. I voted for continuity hence happy with Perth and this is the way to make this happen. If Perth had the license I don’t think Gill would be involved. Let’s give the club some credit, they want to make sure we continue to be successful as much as any fan, they have not been sitting on their hands doing nothing. This was a big decision with obstacles in its way. I expect more positive news over coming weeks. Keep the faith
I agree with all you say and have not lost faith.

But the original comment that you quoted was questioning this aspect of the Mike Treacy comment according to Gavin McLaughlin's tweet-
"We appreciate the patience of our supporters in recent weeks as we have worked tirelessly to outline our vision for the future of the club, and assure everyone we are excited about the future."
Unless I have missed some series of communications, this is utter bull$hit.

I'll be dead happy if someone can point me towards how and where the club have been communicating a vision for the future of the club to supporters in recent weeks
“Working tirelessly to outline our vision for the future of the club” could mean the board getting the correct management structure in place. Promoting from within is the vision . A number of obstacles made that vision challenging so they the club worked tirelessly to overcome them. MT doesn’t mention anything regarding communication. In fact he thanks the fans for their patience which leads me to believe he knows there has been some frustration among supporters since SK left.
I agree this is a better articulation if my point from earlier. To be fair MT’s point is a bit ambiguous particularly the use of word “outline” but am giving the club the benefit of the doubt and they do recognise fans patience. It is going to be great

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:21 pm

Love that reference to Bournemouth. Some advantage to be able to tap into premier league scouting

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:40 am

If there was a higher profile appointment that John Gill then it would likely undermine VP and his management team. As it is Gill can offer his opinions and they can be taken on board or dismissed, I cant see too many pro-licence coaches that wouldnt want to be in the box seat and dictate to the 'lesser qualified' coaches. Could you see a Brian Kerr sit and say nothing? Continuity has been the buzz word since SK departed and that would only happen under VP. That is not to say that somewhere out there there may be better coaches than SK never mind VP but within our budget and with minimum disruption right now? I think this is the right call and with JG not likely to interfere or undermine the Head Coach.

Having access to an extensive EPL clubs scouting network sounds potentially great. I just hope that we dont become a club where a bunch of kids get loaned out to us. If in practice a player that just isnt quite up to EPL standards but would be a top signing for LoI is the main part of the proposed link then great stuff. There could be a few Adorjan like players about that would be suitable.

Quayman
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Quayman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:35 am

As long as Gill have little say in this arrangement it may work. He was sacked by drawda for falling out with half the squad under mahons eyes. It took several players to leave before anything was done.
Neale Fenn....SCUM

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:57 am

Quayman wrote:As long as Gill have little say in this arrangement it may work. He was sacked by drawda for falling out with half the squad under mahons eyes. It took several players to leave before anything was done.
To be fair Drogheda were shît

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DundalkChampions » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:19 am

Shoco wrote:So our new management is announced, and all you can do is moan about the wording.

Happy new year
He will be moaning about the new sponsor before the end of the week, be something else next week

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:58 am

DundalkChampions wrote:
Shoco wrote:So our new management is announced, and all you can do is moan about the wording.

Happy new year
He will be moaning about the new sponsor before the end of the week, be something else next week
Could that be regarded as a moan?

I fully understand that some people want orielweb reserved for applause and acclaim only. I just had not realised that you were among the cheerleaders for the "say only good things" mob.

If you disagree with something I posted, by all means say so and present an alternative view.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DundalkChampions » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:17 am

Ezeikial wrote:Mike Treacy being quoted by Gavin on Twitter

I'm confused by the claim of working tirelessly to outline our vision for the future of the club to supporters in recent weeks

My perception was that the communication from the club in recent weeks was poor, bordering on pathetic. I assumed that there was good reasons for this radio silence, but apparently MT sees it differently
Gavin McLaughlin
‏@DundalkSport

Mike Treacy: “We are delighted to confirm our new coaching structure. The board recognise that continuity is crucial at the football club, given the levels of success achieved in recent seasons."

"We are convinced that in Vinny, Ruaidhri and John we have a structure in place which will ensure we continue to build upon the success of recent seasons, and achieve the club’s objectives on the pitch."

"We appreciate the patience of our supporters in recent weeks as we have worked tirelessly to outline our vision for the future of the club, and assure everyone we are excited about the future."

https://twitter.com/DundalkSport/status ... 8105230336
What did you want the club to do? State they wanted Vinny and Gill and were awaiting FAI clearance.

What happens then if the FAI refused this? Invite applications form people who would have known they were not first choice to take over?

The club cant announce things until they are confirmed (look at the Sheppard situaution last season, that was leaked)