Dundalk v Sligo Rovers l Fri 15 Feb l 7:45pm l Oriel Park l Matchday 1

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Sligo Rovers l Fri 15 Feb l 7:45pm l Oriel Park l Matchday 1

Post by Shoco » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Sneachta wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:03 pm
So let's deduce from that.....he's better than Towell, possibly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
Well then I’m sure you can deduce that McCarthy is a proven premier league player and Murray is not

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Pitch played the worst I've seen it since it was redone. I said it after the match and I didn't realise it hadn't been watered. I felt at the time the foul Shields gave away for their goal was partially due to the way the ball held up and the header Murray missed looked a ludicrous bounce.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sneachta » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:47 am

Look, Sean Murray is clearly an outstanding player. There is no doubt about that. This is not a Tagbujami signing. It's very exciting that we have signed a player of his quality. Similarly with the signing of Dummigan but i cannot judge since I've not seen him play.

Murray was playing for a side that got promoted to the Danish premier Division. Their top two divisions would be of a very high quality I'm assuming based on their premier League teams performance in Europe over the last ten years or so.

Now, lots of people might ask, with typical Dundalk pessimism and cynicism, "if he's that good, why has he signed for us?" Simple fact now is, we are in the market for pretty high quality players because we can afford them.

The likes of Daryl Horgan was a pure gem of a player and when I first saw him I could not stop but think this guy reminds me of duffer. He's gotten a bit of a raw deal at Hibs. He's very well liked by supporters and had only played 8/9 games up until Christmas, but anytime he's called upon he had made assists and scored 3 times.

Richie Towell got a little slap on the wrists for getting sent off for Rotherham. Missed the Man city cup game, and a number of subsequent league matches coniciding with Rotherham's slip down the table. Started at the weekend and scored. He was also squeezed out and unfavoured by fenlon at Hibs.

Murray made 75 appearances for Watford, got young player of the month at one stage and scored 11 championship goals. Fell out of favour with new Italian owners who totally changed the culture of Watford FC with their total overhaul with signing of foreign players. If anything, that shows how difficult it is for UK and Irish players to make it at the top level. It doesn't make them bad players. He moved to a lot of clubs scoring at them all.

Why did he come to us? Maybe, just maybe, there was a significant chunk of money involved and he saw that Dundalk was close to "home" for him and was ambitious enough for him in terms of Europe. Something he hasn't achieved yet. Much like the Nicolas Vemmulund situation. Why would such a quality player want to play on the lower tiers of Danish football? Every player has their reasons.

Fair enough, he may be judged over time, but I am still holding him to the standard of Richie Towell because in fairness, Richie was a massive coup for us at the time, and the fact he was playing for Bluebell United just reaffirms that it doesn't matter with the fact "ah he was only playing Danish second division. If he's any good he'd have made it at this stage". Well he is good enough and he has made it and he's only 25. He's the best midfielder we have.

And james McCarthy is a bang average premier League player who wouldn't look out of place in the championship as a very decent player.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk