Dundalk v UCD l Mon 25 Feb l 7:45pm l Oriel Park l Matchday 3

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk v UCD l Mon 25 Feb l 7:45pm l Oriel Park l Matchday 3

Post by El Paso » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:24 am

After two false starts time to get the season going.

Will be interesting to see what kind of crowd we get for a Monday night against the least glamorous opponents in the League. But it should be a good game of football, which would be an improvement on what Sligo offered.

Our chance conversion ratio has gone from being a concern to a mini crisis. Hard to see what the lads off the pitch can do about that, but the defending for set-pieces needs work. Rogers is lucky that McCarey looked no great shakes in the LSC game.

So do we stick with the same 11, given that there's not a lot actually wrong, or do we tweak it some more? I think Mountney should be replaced after last night - rounding the keeper and then falling over. He's had three ineffectual games now and I'd play Kelly instead of him. Other than that I'd keep it the same I think, although I'm not sure Hoban has got missing that penalty out of his head yet. He really needs a goal.

Rogers
Gannon-Garts-Hoare-Massey
Shields-Murray-Jarvis
Kelly------\/-------Duffy
---------Hoban

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk v UCD l Mon 25 Feb l 7:45pm l Oriel Park l Matchday 3

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:26 am

It really goes without saying how important the UCD match has now become in the light of the 2 opening league draws

It might be some help that the opposition are hardly on a roll themselves - having lost away to Derry 0-3 and at home to Boh 0-2.

I have every confidence that we will come back strongly on Monday night
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:35 am

Me too, I think we'll see a backlash Monday.

And I'll stop putting up match threads now you're back! You can resume duties!!

cooney
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cooney » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:13 am

Lets put them to the sword...

Listening to some of the negativity by a select few on the bus on the way home was exhausting.

We have been so spoilt in recent times, we sometimes forget were we came from!

Mon D'Town

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:21 am

I know lots of people tipped UCD to have a big say in the premier Division this year but I just don't see it. I know they made it very difficult for us last year in the cup but they will always be up against it. I'm going to be cautious with this one. If a back lash means an early siege to their goal with high intensity pressure and an early goal, with a full time score of 2/3-0, id be happy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:29 am

El Paso wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:35 am
Me too, I think we'll see a backlash Monday.

And I'll stop putting up match threads now you're back! You can resume duties!!
Lol - i suppose with the length of the title that duplication of a matchday thread was inevitable at some point.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:34 am

Sneachta wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:21 am
I know lots of people tipped UCD to have a big say in the premier Division this year but I just don't see it. I know they made it very difficult for us last year in the cup but they will always be up against it. I'm going to be cautious with this one. If a back lash means an early siege to their goal with high intensity pressure and an early goal, with a full time score of 2/3-0, id be happy.

Losing Gary Sloggett and Daire O'Connor in the close season in addition to Georgie coming here in July has taken a lot out of them. The normal cycle is for them to improve as the season goes on.

Playing so soon again, particularly so early in the season may challenge both teams. A high tempo and getting a first half lead are likely to be important.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:56 am

El Paso wrote:After two false starts time to get the season going.

Will be interesting to see what kind of crowd we get for a Monday night against the least glamorous opponents in the League. But it should be a good game of football, which would be an improvement on what Sligo offered.

Our chance conversion ratio has gone from being a concern to a mini crisis. Hard to see what the lads off the pitch can do about that, but the defending for set-pieces needs work. Rogers is lucky that McCarey looked no great shakes in the LSC game.

So do we stick with the same 11, given that there's not a lot actually wrong, or do we tweak it some more? I think Mountney should be replaced after last night - rounding the keeper and then falling over. He's had three ineffectual games now and I'd play Kelly instead of him. Other than that I'd keep it the same I think, although I'm not sure Hoban has got missing that penalty out of his head yet. He really needs a goal.

Rogers
Gannon-Garts-Hoare-Massey
Shields-Murray-Jarvis
Kelly------\/-------Duffy
---------Hoban
I also agree, Kelly should be given a start. Mountney always a great servant but a sluggish start for him. There are better options. I've drawn a blank there. Who have you Jarvis in for?

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:00 am

Sorry scrap that. I was looking at that change with the Sligo game in mind. Forgot he started last night. We went 4-4-2 with no Jarvis and Kelly and Hoban up front. Need coffee

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:01 am

That's last night's starting 11, minus Kelly instead of Mountney. Jarvis replaced Benson with Murray replacing McEleney essentially.

Important to note we're missing McGrath as well, hopefully he'll be fit enough for the bench on Monday. I don't know if Flores showed enough to start and I presume they'll want to see more of Dummigan and McKee on the training ground before either of them is considered a starter.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:12 am

We couldn't have hand picked an easier 3 games to start the season (4 if you include an Athlone team who hadn't won a competitive match in 18 months). Time for Vinny et al to get the best out of an incredible squad.

punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by punkha » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:04 am

All Stand tickets for this match have been unavailable online since Thursday saying sold out now i'd say there's no way this is the case.
Why bother putting tickets online if they're putting up such a small amount?

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:38 pm

I hope we get a great crowd and there is lots of positivity and support, important we get behind the team and help them get back on track, as we know confidence is so important in performance and we all have a roll to play. The two injuries and the dropped points could easily create a dark cloud that we need to blow away. Missed the Harps game but thought generally we played very well v Sligo and was not far away from being a fantastic performance. 3 points on Monday will set us up nicely for next Friday and on form we are more than a match for rovers. Come on the town

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:17 am

I’d really love to see us stick at least 4 or 5 past UCD tomorrow. I’m not presuming that we’ll hammer them at all, they played really well in the cup semi final last year. I just think we need a big win going into the Rovers game to settle everyone’s nerves. Hoban needs a goal, Rogers needs a clean sheet and a good win will fill us full of confidence.
Our performances have been good, especially the Sligo match, we just need to stick the ball in the net a few more times!!

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:15 am

colymull wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:17 am
I’d really love to see us stick at least 4 or 5 past UCD tomorrow. I’m not presuming that we’ll hammer them at all, they played really well in the cup semi final last year. I just think we need a big win going into the Rovers game to settle everyone’s nerves. Hoban needs a goal, Rogers needs a clean sheet and a good win will fill us full of confidence.
Our performances have been good, especially the Sligo match, we just need to stick the ball in the net a few more times!!

An early goal (or at least a first half goal) is probably the key. Any sort of convincing win and strong performance would set us up well for Tallaght.

Spot on regarding Rogers and Hoban in particular benefiting from the increased confidence that clean sheet / goal scoring can bring.

Midfield is an area that we also need to be finding consistency and form. Selection will be interesting