Dundalk v UCD l Mon 25 Feb l 7:45pm l Oriel Park l Matchday 3

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk v UCD l Mon 25 Feb l 7:45pm l Oriel Park l Matchday 3

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Team news

Jamie McGrath returns to the squad in what is a boost to the management team while Joe McKee is available following his loan move from Falkirk. Patrick McEleney and Robbie Benson are ruled out through foot and leg injuries respectively.
https://www.dundalkfc.com/team-news-vs-ucd-3/

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:27 pm

The barely disguised Sham Rovers fans in the press seem to be jumping on our imminent demise already because we (checks notes) drew our first two games out of 36. I suppose they need something new to write about. Kind of hoping for a Bohs win tomorrow to soften their coughs a bit.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:55 pm

Gotta be picking up 3 points tonight. I think/hope that UCD won't have the cynicism or experience to play massively defensively and grind us down. They might cause us problems at the back though.

Adanet
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Adanet » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:37 pm

I think play Jarvis and Shields at the same time in MF this game would be a mistake, I'd like to see Mountney there with one of them and three of Murray/Duffy/McGrath/DanKelly

If he want to keep things smooth Cleary or Folan should play too

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:02 pm

There are a fair few lads who have not really shown up yet so far this season, although I think a few of them could get another opportunity to get the season kicked off. Hoban, Rogers and Mountey would be honest enough to hold up their hand to indifferent starts so far and each of them face credible challengers in Georige Kelly, Aaron McCarey and Dan Kelly (or Dean Jarvis in midfield)

The no 8 position tonight could be filled by any of Dean Jarvis, John Mountney, Jordan Flores or Joe McKee. It's even possible that Sean Murray could start there is Jamie McGrath was deemed fit to start

My predicted line-up

Rogers
Gannon | Gartland | Hoare | Massey
Shields | Mountney
D Kelly | Murray | Duffy
Hoban
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:45 pm

Looks like we're starting to use the squad. Garts appears to be rested, while Jarvis isn't in the squad and must have picked up an injury. Flores getting a chance to show what he's got. Mountney either dropped or rested, which is a good move given his lack of creativity stands out more with McGrath, McEleney and Benson all out. McGrath on the bench and hopefully will be involved.

Looks like:
Rogers
Gannon-Hoare-Cleary-Massey
Flores-Shields
Kelly-Murray-Duffy
Hoban

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Missing chances to beat the band again already.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:16 pm

1-0 UCD. A good shot. We should try that some time.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:25 pm

Flores subbed before HT for McGrath. Not injured. That's a big call, he must feel a bit humiliated by that.

Have to say when I was wondering what the hell Benson was at at times last season and Kenny made a big show of praising him I'm sorry I ever doubted him. Because when he's not there it's clear how much we miss him.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:56 pm

Hoban equalises from a penalty, moments after he tried yet another bicycle kick, which if I could have reached out and punched him for I would.

Colin Gallagher
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Colin Gallagher » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:10 pm

Duffy 2-1.
Sounds like we're playing with a bit more pace second half.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:39 pm

2-1 not exactly the statement of intent we would have hoped for, but once again we had a hatful of chances not taken and both the keeper and that Scales lad played very well. At my rough count we had six shots straight at the keeper, hit the crossbar and another three very good efforts narrowly wide. At the same time they got in behind a bit too easily, which is probably a symptom of us pushing so hard and throwing bodies forward.

Second half probably the best half of the three games to date.

One point behind Rovers who are amazeballs now, apparently. Funny that.

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:11 pm

seand wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:55 pm
Gotta be picking up 3 points tonight. I think/hope that UCD won't have the cynicism or experience to play massively defensively and grind us down. They might cause us problems at the back though.
That was a good shout. Summed it up in advance. Not much to write home about. Missed chances and nearly paid for it. Flores thing was strange, Adorjan spoke about struggling with the unexpected tempo of games so Flores must really be getting his eyes opened, so wont be too judgemental. While it was a late sub on tonight Dummigan is being give a good few runs out even on the right wing tonight.
League table has a better look to it tonight now. Rovers really struggle with the pressure of tha Dublin Derby. Cork off the mark too. Harps their dogged selves in Inchicore. I was thinking that Derry are looking handy but had 2 own goals handed to them tonight it seems. For a team that are so big on the sportsmanship Cork got 6 yellow cars from 8, will there be a fine there or whats the limit in one game?

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:22 pm

Quite a number of good individual performances but not quite there as a team yet. UCD probably count themselves unlucky not to go in 2 up.
Flores, as many expected, is brutal, but McGrath was fantastic when he came on. Brave substitution by Vinny, which is a good sign. Mountney did well also when he came on.

Dan Kelly is a real live wire, he has a lot more football in him than Dylan Connolly and is just as quick.

Towelie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Towelie » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:35 pm

Very anxious atmosphere tonight, the fans as well as the players needed those goals. I think the man who really stood out for me was Gannon, worked so hard and made a great run into box for the penalty. McGrath added a bit of cohesion when he came on. Duffy's corners were very poor but that goal was excellent and oh so crucial.