Dundalk v UCD l Mon 25 Feb l 7:45pm l Oriel Park l Matchday 3

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v UCD l Mon 25 Feb l 7:45pm l Oriel Park l Matchday 3

Post by El Paso » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:45 pm

I got very anxious myself when Hoban missed that gilt-edged chance after what felt like 5 seconds!

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:25 pm
Flores subbed before HT for McGrath. Not injured. That's a big call, he must feel a bit humiliated by that.
dell1 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:11 pm

Flores thing was strange, Adorjan spoke about struggling with the unexpected tempo of games so Flores must really be getting his eyes opened, so wont be too judgemental.
dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:22 pm
Flores, as many expected, is brutal, but McGrath was fantastic when he came on. Brave substitution by Vinny, which is a good sign.
I was somewhat surprised that Jordan Flores started as he has had so little game time that his fitness must be an issue. That and the fact that he was shown little to nothing in the games that he did play meant that starting him was a risk that was probably forced on VP to an extent.

Irrespective of how Flores felt about being subbed off early, it was a brave and positive decision by VP who recognised that it was not working

While question marks clearly remain, I certainly would not write Flores off at this early stage
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:57 pm

Definitely a very anxious atmosphere especially in the first half, there was a spell when you could hear the players in the first half it was so quiet. It got better in the second half as did the performance.

We’re still not fully up to speed and there is a spark missing in loads of areas, lots of gaps in the MF too, but it’s a first win and I’m just glad of the 3 points.

On to Tallaght now on Friday, looking forward to that.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:01 pm

Undoubtedly the most important part of tonight was getting the 3 points.

A stronger performance would probably have done more for the confidence of players and supporters alike, but we certainly head for Tallaght in a much better position because of the results
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:05 pm

We'll discuss it under the Rovers thread but gaps in midfield is literally the last thing we need against Rovers. We're going to have to be solid as a rock in there yet word is Murray was withdrawn because of a knock. A couple of selection decisions tonight were definitely made with Friday in mind and right now I think our usual 4-2-3-1 would be a mistake.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:05 pm

I thought flores was doing ok and it was a thoroughly demoralizing substitution. Could easily have waited til half time to do it. Again we wasted a sack full of chances and i definitely don't like the way Hoban runs up for thr penalty. Just run and out your foot through the effing ball. Murray is a baller.. looked very good. And what power he has in his shot and isn't afraid to shoot from distance. Defence at times especially through the middle looks to be very suspect. And surprisingly suspect from setpieces and high balls into the box. Great save one on one from Rogers. Big game Friday night. Obviously no limit on our allocation if they are going on general sale after game and not to season ticket holders first. Roll on Friday night.
Last edited by niall_hearty2000 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:07 pm

Any news on Murray injury?

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:23 pm

I too thought Flores was doing ok and the substitution won’t help the lad. I suppose the 15 mins McGrath had in the first half helped him settle in and he really kicked on in the second so it worked out for VP. That being said, I’d question VP starting Flores at all if has to hook him so early. He has seen him in training all week.
Hopefully it’s just a case of him getting up to speed with the league

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sneachta » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:26 pm

It's funny the game people see. I thought Gannon was bang average tonight. The goal came down his side and was getting a roasting from farrugia it was looking like he was going to be at fault in conceeding a second at one point. And his first touch was cat all night.

Our back four looked very disjointed until..... The Flores substitution.

Flores substitution was very weird! I didn't think he was that bad to be taken off, in saying that, he looked off the pace by the proverbial country mile. An absolute confidence buster for him. Kenny made us sweat for substitutions till the 75th minute.

My man Murray was head and shoulders outstanding tonight where's all the boo boys? A standing ovation he got. MOTM

BUT he was trying to do it all himself. The ould lad said to me, he's gonna get injured, two minutes later, injured. A very important players for the rovers game and will be interesting to see him up against Finn.

UCD played great football in fairness to them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:30 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:23 pm
, I’d question VP starting Flores at all if has to hook him so early. He has seen him in training all week.
Hopefully it’s just a case of him getting up to speed with the league
I think it is a fair question - although obviously training tempo versus match intensity are different.

VP probably knew he was taking a chance with him, but had the courage to change it at an early stage. Others would have shied away from the decision

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:44 pm

I think playing Flores and trying to get him up to speed was the right thing to do. He'll never be up to speed if he doesn't play games. It's a bit like the time Kenny complained after the League Cup match against Pats that lads weren't fit when he was the one never giving any of them game time. However UCD played right past Flores on a couple of occasions and he was nearly embarrassed at one point. I would have waited until half time but if it's not working it's not working.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:17 am

I was surprised when I saw Flores being hooked, I thought he was doing ok, didn't think he was outstandingly bad but maybe that shows I don't know as much about football as I think!!!
Sean Murrary is unbelievably good, an absolute powerhouse in that midfield. 2nd half I thought he was running the show and was sorry to see him get injured. Hopefully he's ok for Friday. I think we should enjoy him while we have him cause I think if he stays fit all year, this time next year he'll be back in the UK.
Also a special mention for Chris Shields, the ball he put into Duffy for the 2nd goal was one if the best passes I've seen in a long time. That kind of cross field pass is becoming a bit of a trademark for him, he can do no wrong!!!!
King Kenny!

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:38 am

It was an ok performance, we need to start taking the chances we create. In 3 games we've hit the post/bar 4 times in 3 matches, missed a pen and missed God knows how many more chances.

The inclusion of Flores was a surprise given his struggles in Ballybofey, it was a brave but probably correct call to haul him off before halftime. McGrath added a bit of guile. I really like the look of Daniel Kelly, Dylan Connolly with a brain. If he hadn't snatched at a couple of chances it would have been a much more comfortable night.

I know the captaincy isn't really important, but surprised to see it go to Hoban ahead of Shields, Massey, Gannon or even Rogers or Hoare. He's having a difficult period and not exactly leading by example

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:35 pm

DundallkSport post match with Michael Duffy

https://shows.pippa.io/5c75550f5086f5c4 ... ry-25-2019

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:21 pm

An upshot from the UCD match is confirmation that we are on the right track if the reports are true about on-going efforts to sign UCD centre back Liam Scales. Commanding in defence, comfortable on the ball and full of confidence he is already an exceptional player at only 20 years old

Conor Kearns in goals, skipper Gary O'Neill and goal scorer Neil Farrugia also caught the eye