Shamrock Rovers V Dundalk | Fri 1 March | 8pm | Tallaght | Matchday 4

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Shamrock Rovers V Dundalk | Fri 1 March | 8pm | Tallaght | Matchday 4

Post by White Horse » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:27 am

El Paso wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:33 pm
Bolger, Finn, McEneff versus Shields gives me the shivers but is that based on past form? Some savage looking midfield power in the Rovers team.
Shields was better than the three of them combined. Throw in Jack Byrne and its about even.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sneachta » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:08 am

Didn't make it myself. Reports from above sounds like we were comfortable enough. No outstanding team yet in the league. Could be very close all season

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by punkha » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:13 am

White Horse wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:27 am
El Paso wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:33 pm
Bolger, Finn, McEneff versus Shields gives me the shivers but is that based on past form? Some savage looking midfield power in the Rovers team.
Shields was better than the three of them combined. Throw in Jack Byrne and its about even.
Couldn't make the game tonight but not surprised by this. Shields is by far the best midfielder in the league and always steps up for the big games.
Comparing him to the likes of McEneff is laughable he's the ultimate Instagram footballer with his fancy pens etc but he isn't fit to lace Chris's boots. McEneff hardly ever kicked a ball against us for Derry got taken off at HT here last season if I remember correctly.
Not unhappy with a point tonight the clean sheet was massive.we haven't hit top gear yet but feel we might hand out a lesson soon and will kick on from there hopefully.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:23 am

Was a poor enough game. Murray didn't get a sniff.shields for us and bolger for rovers were the 2 best players on the pitch. Thought kelly on the wing was poor for us. Duffy was treble marked when he had the ball. Need to see it again but felt we should have had a penalty at the death. Terrible conditions with the constant downpour which would have made it tiring conditions. We looked quite tired to be fair.Hoban offered very little. We need to either persevere til he gets a goal or start giving Georgie more than a 3 minute cameo at the end. Last night he deserved more than the 3 mins he got as you could clearly see it wasn't working for Hoban. We badly miss McEleney and Benson and not look to have lost Mounts too. Amazing travelling support biggest in Tallaght for quite some time. Easily 1600. But my God the gardai were slow to react. Serious overcrowding with people standing on stairways and the exits until they eventually decided to open up the rest of the stand. If we had scored the surge could hsve created a vwry unfortunate incident. The way the results went last night at least it is now as you were and no points lost.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:57 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:23 am
Was a poor enough game. Murray didn't get a sniff.shields for us and bolger for rovers were the 2 best players on the pitch. Thought kelly on the wing was poor for us. Duffy was treble marked when he had the ball. Need to see it again but felt we should have had a penalty at the death. Terrible conditions with the constant downpour which would have made it tiring conditions. We looked quite tired to be fair.Hoban offered very little. We need to either persevere til he gets a goal or start giving Georgie more than a 3 minute cameo at the end. Last night he deserved more than the 3 mins he got as you could clearly see it wasn't working for Hoban. We badly miss McEleney and Benson and not look to have lost Mounts too. Amazing travelling support biggest in Tallaght for quite some time. Easily 1600. But my God the gardai were slow to react. Serious overcrowding with people standing on stairways and the exits until they eventually decided to open up the rest of the stand. If we had scored the surge could hsve created a vwry unfortunate incident. The way the results went last night at least it is now as you were and no points lost.
Thought Kelly played well particularly in the first half when we were under pressure. Also McGrath alongside the new “stalwart” Shields (the old being Martin Lawlor, in every Democrat write up). Hoban not doing enough and it is if he has not got over the penalty miss. We are not getting much ball in to him so he should adapt and at least make it awkward for defenders. Murray clearly not at 100% which you could see in his running but some good touches and was better as game went on. Same points after 4 games as last season and I believe same fifth game opponents. Need another winner from Hoban to get him up and running. But a great night and atmosphere and we showed we are better than rovers so not too unhappy with the draw considering the injuries

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by paul1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:27 am

I actually expected Rovers to be a lot better than they were and would have taken a draw beforehand due to our in different form but after watching the game I feel it’s two points dropped , I thought shields was man of the match easily, our back four looked comfortable but Carr did cause problems when he came on, I thought Murrary was poor that might be down to injury , Hoban poor although service is not great , and Kelly was poor a lot of running about but very little end product when we need a good delivery not the same player yet as we seen last year in a Bohs shirt..

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:25 am

Just in case anyone thought I was lacking confidence in Chris I absolutely wasn't, I was just worried about him facing three/four midfielders by himself.

Considering the guff written about Rovers after the first two games and the fact they were at home and should have had a reaction after losing to Bohs I thought they were bang average.

McGrath has to get back up to speed after missing all of the pre-season games and Murray had a knock, so it's not surprising we didn't create a whole lot. Also it's hard to assess Hoban in that context although his form hasn't been great.

But looking at the wider picture that's four games in 14 days to start the season and in tough conditions. No team has looked great, but we're the only team that's had five midfielders ship injuries, and we've only conceded one goal from open play. If you were to ask which team looks like it has more gears it's us.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:00 pm

I think when we consider both McGrath and more especially Murray were not fully up to speed, and add in the big two of Benson and McEleney missing, together with Mountney dropping out after 7pm, that was a damn decent point earned.

Wasn’t a great game, yet we could have won it, ridiculous decision giving G Kelly less than 10 mins, when Hoban was clearly not up to his usual standard.

Some away support, initially I thought around 900, but looked to be over 1k from the photos I saw since.

Weelilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Weelilywhite » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Great atmosphere last night. Had a Rovers fan with me last night and he was amazed how quiet the Rovers fans were. Poor match. RTE are suggesting Rovers had a strong penalty claim as the ball seemed to come off Hoare's arm. Wonder did that influence the ref when we had our claim later. But I think he looked to the linesman and flag stayed down. In fairness to him I think he was ok and is the best ref in the LOI by a mile. Cannot understand why Bradley did not start Carr given the problems he caused us until he got injured last year on the 5-2 win. Caused some problems when he came on. Concerned to see Sheils limping badly at the end. Hope he is ok for next week. Was showing serious urgency all night. I could see Duffy being double marked but that should have freed up another player to take possession of the ball. This is the tactics in the 3 matches that I have seen but we dong seem to have reacted to it. I believe Murray had a groin strain before the match and it mat have impacted on him last night. Was speaking to Robbie Bensons brother and dad who confirmed he us out for 12 weeks with broken bone and ligament damage. Overall happy enough and can sed Rovers are a poor team . Only c 4300 at the match and if you take out our supporters they have poor support that will further diminish after last night

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Soccer Republic have interviews up with Bradley and Gill. Funny to hear John Kenny offer Bradley loads of excuses about injuries when we're the ones with three midfielders out and two more recovering!

Gill saying the same stuff - we're playing well, just not being clinical.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:38 pm

Vinny Perth was encouraging strong vocal support from the Dundalk fans pre-match, making loads of gestures towards the crowd from the opposite side of the pitch. No surprise then to read of his appreciation for the travelling support.
A MESSAGE FROM VINNY PERTH

We would like to thank the brilliant and huge support we received in Tallaght last night. The players spoke about the energy that the crowd gave them throughout the evening.

The reception the fans gave the team after the game was outstanding and a special moment.

There’s no doubt we have needed their support over the last couple of weeks. We have had some difficulties and bad luck. But last night we felt that they were there for us and I’m sure they will be there for us again on Friday night.
https://www.dundalkfc.com/a-message-from-vinny-perth/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Townfan7 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:41 pm

Firstly, tremendous Dundalk support in Tallaght last night. On the game itself, I thought Dundalk were the only team trying to win, with perhaps Carr coming on late for Rovers got them moving a bit. Micheal Duffy was outstanding throughout, with our back four quickly repelling the little Rovers fired at us. Hoban did try hard but again was near marked out of the game. D Kelly & Murray tired early second half & their input was minimal thereafter. Along with Duffy, I thought Shields was MOTM & I hope he’s ok, looked like he was injured late in the game & wanted to come off. Like others, I would have taken a draw beforehand & it’s a good result when you consider how the other games panned out.
It’s early days, we are in a good position, other than the injuries, hopefully we can get scoring some goals, get on a run & see what happens.

C’MON THE TOWN:

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:41 pm

Weelilywhite wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:29 pm
Great atmosphere last night. Had a Rovers fan with me last night and he was amazed how quiet the Rovers fans were. Poor match. RTE are suggesting Rovers had a strong penalty claim as the ball seemed to come off Hoare's arm. Wonder did that influence the ref when we had our claim later. But I think he looked to the linesman and flag stayed down. In fairness to him I think he was ok and is the best ref in the LOI by a mile. Cannot understand why Bradley did not start Carr given the problems he caused us until he got injured last year on the 5-2 win. Caused some problems when he came on. Concerned to see Sheils limping badly at the end. Hope he is ok for next week. Was showing serious urgency all night. I could see Duffy being double marked but that should have freed up another player to take possession of the ball. This is the tactics in the 3 matches that I have seen but we dong seem to have reacted to it. I believe Murray had a groin strain before the match and it mat have impacted on him last night. Was speaking to Robbie Bensons brother and dad who confirmed he us out for 12 weeks with broken bone and ligament damage. Overall happy enough and can sed Rovers are a poor team . Only c 4300 at the match and if you take out our supporters they have poor support that will further diminish after last night
I think this sums the game up well. There were actually times that Duffy had 3 men banked on him, 2 defending back to goal and one cutting off the pass back in to centre mid to retain possession. He did very well regardless. It/he created the space that Benson and McEleney would have thrived in centrally and no doubts that Murray would have done also fully fit. I think its been said a few times that last season people questioned what Benson offered the team but really it when he isnt in the side you realise that he was playing a key role in the midfield. Mountney not getting through the warm-up was a blow as that was 3 or 4 days worth of training to deal with Rovers impressive midfield disrupted.
When you take in that up front we arent firing fully yet, yet still shaded the game, with the injuries then its a point earned more than 2 lost imo. Its says a lot about where we are at still, early season, that a point away to the bookies 2nd favourites could be considered as 2 points dropped. Definsively we looked good, certainly a lot better than previous games. First ball was mostly dealt with in a way that midfielders were able to get on the 2nd ball and break or hassle Rovers if they picked up the loose ball.
I thought Rovers looked tentative, lacking a confidence even in a very talented midfield. Finn threw a good few hissy fits at loose passes and lapses in concentration yet he was off the boil himself, he still cuts a frustrated figure at Rovers and against a patched together opposition midfield. Carr was more effective when he came on but tbh over a season he hasnt shown the sort of form needed and Bradley has said as much with his stricker situation unresolved. Vojic sounds more dangerous on a team sheet than he is in reality!
Travelling support was immense looking and sounding all night!! It had to have been around the 1k mark which makes the home support disappointing really but after the long trip to Dalymount on Monday, well the possibility of dropping points twice in one week to their bitter rivals and then the Champions was obviously too much for a few Rover's fans to contemplate so stayed at home.
I dont think Rovers are a poor team, maybe lack total conviction with their manager. They have taken their time but fixed a couple of glaring frailties from the last couple of years. They look reasonably solid at the back and dont have a keeper that will spectacularly spill the ball over the line in a Kevin Horgan ala Jody Byrne way. Midfield speaks for itself but still looked more intent on not losing than testing the walking wounded in our own midfield. We can shift up a number of gears but so far I dont think other sides can, certainly not to the same extent. We were on the lucky side too that there was only one winner across the league last night, so much as you were.
Waterford is not who i'd like to have up next either with a makeshift midefield especially if Shields isnt available to tuck Hery in his pocket!! It will be an anxious wait during the week to hear reports out of Oriel on players. Is it too early to be thinking about keeping it tight and picking off results until some respite and real recovery time for players come the summer and 2nd half of the season. It is unprecedented in my memory to have a possible 7 from 9 midfielders carrying knocks, looked injured, injured or just not fit for a full 90mins yet, any news on why Jarvis wasnt on the bench?

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:47 pm

dell1 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:41 pm
There were actually times that Duffy had 3 men banked on him, 2 defending back to goal and one cutting off the pass back in to centre mid to retain possession. He did very well regardless.
It's so often the case that different people see the same match in different ways, but I was taken aback by Owen Cowzer's report in the Sun, where Michael Dufy had a "tough night" and Lee Grace was MOTM
Duffy was having a tough night against Roberto Lopes, who was his match any time he tried to run at him
SHAMROCK ROVERS: Mannus 7; Lopes 8, O’Brien 7, Grace 9, Clarke 7; Bolger 8, McEneff 6; Coustrain 7 (B Kavanagh 82 min), Finn 6, Byrne 6 (S Kavanagh 90); Vojic 5 (Carr 57, 6).

DUNDALK: Rogers 7; Gannon 7, Gartland 8, Hoare 8, Massey 7; Shields 7, Murray 6 (McKee 81 mins); D Kelly 6 (Dummigan 90, 6), McGrath 6, Duffy 7; Hoban 6 (G Kelly 88, 6).

REFEREE: P McLaughlin (Monaghan) 5.
https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/38 ... he-season/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:08 pm

Soccer Republic post match interview with John Gill. I like JG as an individual, but I feel he comes across fairly bland in these interviews. I would far prefer that Vinny did the interviews and gave us his real and credible "tell it as it is" style

https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status ... 6423049218