Injury & Suspension Watch 2019

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Injury & Suspension Watch 2019

Post by seand » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:56 am

If Shields is out for a few weeks we really are in trouble. No team can cope easily with the amount of injuries we have at the moment. We're looking at an unbelievably strong midfield of Shields, Mountney, Benson, McEleney........ all out injured! Murray's not 100% either neither is Jarvis, is he, and McGrath's only working back to full fitness. It's pretty extraordinary.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 am

It may present an early opportunity for Dylan Hand in DM role. He was one of the few who impressed against Athlone in that position
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:22 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 am
It may present an early opportunity for Dylan Hand in DM role. He was one of the few who impressed against Athlone in that position
Opportunities for teenagers have been basically non existent for 6 years. I don't see Vinny changing that.
Hoare or even Gannon could play in front of the back 4.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:09 pm

It is an incredible run of injuries we’ve had - worst in years.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:48 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:22 pm
Ezeikial wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 am
Opportunities for teenagers have been basically non existent for 6 years. I don't see Vinny changing that.
Hoare or even Gannon could play in front of the back 4.
Michael O'Connor played in a European tie as a teenager. There are probably other examples in lower profile matches.

But I take your point, even if it is probably fairer to say that opportunities have been limited rather than non-existent. I expect that VP will opt for Sean Hoare/ Cameron Dummigan/ Jordan Flores / Joe McKee over Dylan Hand, but there is certainly an opportunity there to impress in training this week
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:06 pm

I said this last year but we shouldn’t be signing players we can’t trust to step up to the plate. If Shields is out it has to be Dummigan or McKee who start. If they’re not good enough they shouldn’t be here. If Hand is the better option now, or converting the centre backs, then the McKee loan move makes zero sense.

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:28 pm

El Paso wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:06 pm
I said this last year but we shouldn’t be signing players we can’t trust to step up to the plate. If Shields is out it has to be Dummigan or McKee who start. If they’re not good enough they shouldn’t be here. If Hand is the better option now, or converting the centre backs, then the McKee loan move makes zero sense.
I agree but I do think it’s not just a matter of putting your boots on and playing. It takes a while to get used to football in a new country. Kenny didn’t play adjoran or chevdukas until nearly June last year. They were given 20 mins here and there for the first few months. I’d say VP wanted to do the same with the new signings but obviously his hand has been forced

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:28 pm

Gavin McLaughlin
‏@DundalkSport

Spoke to Vinny Perth about Chris Shields' knee injury earlier. His take: "We don't believe it will be six weeks but it's an injury that will keep him out for a very short period of time." #DundalkSport
https://twitter.com/DundalkSport/status ... 5988712448

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:30 pm

Gavin McLaughlin
‏@DundalkSport

Dean Jarvis is 'touch and go' for Friday's game with Waterford with a badly bruised calf. John Mountney is out but his groin injury has settled down. #DundalkSport
https://twitter.com/DundalkSport/status ... 1357989890

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:33 pm

El Paso wrote:
This is a good point about signing players. I think the choices are limited, incredible to think of the 5 in the MF area including the two wingers who started ththe cup final, only Duffy will start on Friday.

If Murray is fit to start and he should be, he might not last more than 75 but hopefully that will be enough, McGrath in front of him should be fine for the 90, Kelly and Duffy on the wings, then one to replace Shields, that’s about the most positive way of looking at things at the minute. Then who comes in for Shields ?

1/ Dummingam
2/ McKee
3/ Flores

We could even go 4-4-2 with G Kelly up front with Hoban ?

I think I’d prefer the 3 in the middle and two wingers, whatever options they go with we just need to make sure we stick with the leaders until we get over the crisis. The other positive is, there doesn’t seem to be too many or any that are much better, Rovers were just ok on Friday. If this was 2016 a decent Cork side might have got out of sight by the end of March. I think you get the feeling thought, there is no one who will be stretching things this season, but we have to make sure we don’t fall any further behind. That’s the key thing over the next few weeks.

Hopefully the games will be kind, Rovers away is over, we have Cork at home, but not until end of March, Derry away will be tough as will this Friday v Waterford !

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 pm

mike wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:33 pm
El Paso wrote:
This is a good point about signing players.
It's isn't really a good point, it's a very simplistic view that is not realistic. He's basically saying we should have at least 2 players in each position that are of the same quality. This is totally unrealistic. We have the best players in the league, other players of this quality do not join a club to be backup, they would also command a similar wage.

What club in the world has this setup?

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:56 pm

I genuinely have no idea how you got that from what I said.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:07 pm

El Paso wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:56 pm
I genuinely have no idea how you got that from what I said.
I got it from this quote:
I said this last year but we shouldn’t be signing players we can’t trust to step up to the plate.
This must not have been your meaning, can you elaborate so? Who can't be trusted?

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:22 pm

When I say ‘we shouldn’t be signing players we can’t trust to step up to the plate’ I’m saying that if we sign players, like McKee on a six month loan, then don’t trust them enough to start them when the first choice lads are injured, there wasn’t any point in signing them.

Dunno how you got ‘we should have at least two equal quality players in every position’ from that.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:03 pm

El Paso wrote:When I say ‘we shouldn’t be signing players we can’t trust to step up to the plate’ I’m saying that if we sign players, like McKee on a six month loan, then don’t trust them enough to start them when the first choice lads are injured, there wasn’t any point in signing them.

Dunno how you got ‘we should have at least two equal quality players in every position’ from that.
It's not that simple. McKee has played about 7 minutes of football with us. He may not be fully match fit, he could hardly have any understanding with the rest of the team in a competitive match situation. Yet you're suggesting he should be thrown in against one of the strongest midfields in the league? And if he's not it's a waste of a signing?

If he was to play on Friday in place of Shields what would you expect of him?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk