Ten years ago...

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

gavinmclaughlin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Ten years ago...

Post by gavinmclaughlin » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:10 pm

Hard to believe but today marks the 10th anniversary of Dundalk's return to the Premier Division when we played Bohemians at Oriel Park.

I had a dig through the archives and put together this piece which looks at the game itself and the weeks leading up to it.

Crazy season. Right up there with 2016 as my favourite covering the club. There was never a dull moment!

https://dundalksport.ie/retro-2009-we-t ... c5c3d8b63e

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Ten years ago...

Post by seand » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Great piece Gavin, I'll have to come back later for another proper read through. What a season it was, absolutely insane. Sean Connor's previous should have been a warning but it was an absolute circus on and off the pitch. A European record for red cards, including the famous 8-man heroics v Sligo. The cup replay at Bohs in particular stands out, it should have finished 7-a-side. I've mined that season for a number of articles over the past few years.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Like seand, I'll have to come back to the article to savour it more fully later on.

But what I have read transported me tardis-like back to a crazy yet hugely enjoyable season. Truth is stranger than fiction
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Great read indeed! Add in the context of what has happened to DFC and Sean Connor in the subsequent 10 years and it makes the truth all the more strange!!

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:26 pm

Mad, mad times
  • Practically living in the Crowne Plaza

Mental Mickey drinking outside Kennedys on a match night

George O'Callaghan refusing to do a medical test

Michael McGinlay getting a contract when he wasn't up to summer league standard

The Barcelona friendly that never happened

The Chris Turner re-signing charade

Alex Williams on - off form (football wise)

The Betting scandals

Fabio O'Brien getting 2 yellows to leave him suspended for the Drogheda match

Sean Conor shafting Joe Miller (after Miller tried to shaft him)

The sacking of Dave Rogers
There really could be a best seller TV mini series made about it. It seems fairly dull by comparison now with just regular cup finals and league wins to keep our interest up
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.