Riga V Dundalk | Weds 17 July | 5.30pm | Skonto Stadium | UEFA Champions League QFR1 Second Leg

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Riga V Dundalk | Weds 17 July | 5.30pm | Skonto Stadium | UEFA Champions League QFR1 Second Leg

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:44 am

I think we as fans have become somewhat spoilt over the last number of years. I really don’t think we understand just what was achieved last night. To say we should go through, that we were big favorites and to listen to rovers super fan Con Murphy saying “ they’ll be kicking themselves if they don’t win” really pisses me off. Riga are not Grevenmacher ffs. Do people realise how difficult it is to win a match away from home in Europe? What kind of record do LOI clubs have away from home in Europe over the years?? There’s a reason the league’s coefficient is so low. Riga are not in preseason and they have a lot of internationals ( as was repeated ad nauseum ). VP freely admitted how much pressure the management team felt they were under. We have no divine right to win any match but this wasn’t Finn Harps away. Every player gave 100% last night imo. Hoban was fcuked at the 90 mins , he never gave up running. To think as captain he wasn’t putting in a shift is bullshit imo. To echo some other response I’m immensely proud of this club and we should never take these matches for granted.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Riga V Dundalk | Weds 17 July | 5.30pm | Skonto Stadium | UEFA Champions League QFR1 Second Leg

Post by oldfogey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:44 am
I think we as fans have become somewhat spoilt over the last number of years. I really don’t think we understand just what was achieved last night. To say we should go through, that we were big favorites and to listen to rovers super fan Con Murphy saying “ they’ll be kicking themselves if they don’t win” really pisses me off. Riga are not Grevenmacher ffs. Do people realise how difficult it is to win a match away from home in Europe? What kind of record do LOI clubs have away from home in Europe over the years?? There’s a reason the league’s coefficient is so low. Riga are not in preseason and they have a lot of internationals ( as was repeated ad nauseum ). VP freely admitted how much pressure the management team felt they were under. We have no divine right to win any match but this wasn’t Finn Harps away. Every player gave 100% last night imo. Hoban was fcuked at the 90 mins , he never gave up running. To think as captain he wasn’t putting in a shift is bullshit imo. To echo some other response I’m immensely proud of this club and we should never take these matches for granted.
100% spot on. Why can't we have the "like" button back? Vinnie had to make do with a half fit midfield in Shields and Benson, and missing Michael Duffy. If we were playing Bohs or Derry everyone would be panicking. The shape looked awkward at times, but it got the job done. It will be interesting to see how many Gaz haters come out eating humble pie.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:17 pm

oldfogey wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:19 pm
It will be interesting to see how many Gaz haters come out eating humble pie.
There's haters on here?

Is Gazza still with Warrenpoint?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Malaga White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Malaga White » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:12 pm

[quote=oldfogey

100% spot on. Why can't we have the "like" button back? Vinnie had to make do with a half fit midfield in Shields and Benson, and missing Michael Duffy. If we were playing Bohs or Derry everyone would be panicking. The shape looked awkward at times, but it got the job done. It will be interesting to see how many Gaz haters come out eating humble pie.
[/quote]

Watched it with a mate who is a palace fan and he was well impressed with Shields.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:23 pm

“WE DESERVED IT” SAYS CAPTAIN HOBAN

https://www.dundalkfc.com/we-deserved-i ... ain-hoban/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:04 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:I think we as fans have become somewhat spoilt over the last number of years. I really don’t think we understand just what was achieved last night. To say we should go through, that we were big favorites and to listen to rovers super fan Con Murphy saying “ they’ll be kicking themselves if they don’t win” really pisses me off. Riga are not Grevenmacher ffs. Do people realise how difficult it is to win a match away from home in Europe? What kind of record do LOI clubs have away from home in Europe over the years?? There’s a reason the league’s coefficient is so low. Riga are not in preseason and they have a lot of internationals ( as was repeated ad nauseum ). VP freely admitted how much pressure the management team felt they were under. We have no divine right to win any match but this wasn’t Finn Harps away. Every player gave 100% last night imo. Hoban was fcuked at the 90 mins , he never gave up running. To think as captain he wasn’t putting in a shift is bullshit imo. To echo some other response I’m immensely proud of this club and we should never take these matches for granted.
But we did deserve to go through and it would've been a travesty if he hadn't have gone through. We were the better team by far. Everyone could see that, fans, players and staff. It was well deserved. No need for the defeatest mindset. If anything, this club has enabled us to be hopeful and believers that this team can always go out and do a job against many teams in Europe. The hope and belief will no doubt be the same against qarabag.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:48 pm

DFC | Hoban hails the Dundalk FC supporters who took over in Latvia
Riga FC v Dundalk FC | UEFA Champions League Reaction
https://dundalksport.ie/dfc-hoban-hails ... 8bdc9f5d51

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:17 pm