2019-20 UEFA Europa League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

2019-20 UEFA Europa League

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:02 pm

Draw for the Europa League Play-Off round takes place next Monday in advance of our first leg clash with Slovan Bratislava

Lots of air miles for club officials!

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Europa League

Post by seand » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:17 am

I think we'll have to be at our very best to get past Slovan. Anyway, the winner of Dundalk v Slovan will probably play the loser of one of the third round Champions League ties in the Europa League playoff round, i.e. the loser of:
CFR Cluj v Celtic
APOEL v Qarabağ
PAOK v Ajax
Dinamo Zagreb v Ferencváros
Red Star v Copenhagen
Maribor v Rosenborg

Ferencvaros are obviously the choice draw- they had a good win over Ludogorets (Bulgaria) and then beat Valletta (Malta). However- the EL playoff round consists of six CL third round losers and ten EL third round winners. So the six CL losers are 'seeded' and kept apart, but there will be two all-EL winners ties. There'll be some strong teams in there and probably one or two relatively weak (e.g. Dudelange v Nomme Kalju) options. The luck of the draw is immense in this draw. It could be Dudelange/Sutjeska or it could be Red Star/Qarabag/Rosenborg.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:47 am

Incidentally playing Slovan brings to ten the number of new countries we've played in over the past six seasons:

Belarus (2015)
Poland, Israel, Russia (2016)
Norway (2017)
Estonia, Cyprus (2018)
Latvia, Azerbaijan, Slovakia (2019)

Add in Switzerland, Hungary, Scotland, Holland, England, Holland, Yugoslavia, Malta, Sweden, Croatia, Iceland and Portugal and I reckon we must be the most widely travelled LoI team. (And sort of Northern Ireland.)

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:55 pm

Interesting note from tonight's results, Riga have put Piast out, the Polish champions a lot of us were hoping to avoid!!

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:40 pm

I watched a bit of it and the bald lad in midfield, Debelko, who I don't really remember playing for Tallin, played a leading role in the game. He's made of tough stuff. Fair play to them. A huge result after losing to us.

James Rogers also pointing out the AEK Larnaca thrashed Levski Sofia 7-0 on aggregate.

Now, in the words of Johnny Ward, that was "a hiding". But I might change it to "a footballing lesson"....;) before anyone notices.

European results very fickle. Even rovers tonight left it behind them. Limassol nowhere near the quality of what we played last night and they should've been dispatched by rovers. Also watched a bit of this. Jack Byrne again was excellent but I thought Ronan Finn was lost (or the role Bradley had him in) created this loss of direction. I didn't see enough of the game to suggest it was like this the whole game.

But on reflection on all that's happened in the last 24 hours, Dundalk need to have everyone fit, get an away goal, and have a right pop at Bratislava. They will be very good, we will have to be wary of them, but in the same breath not fear them.

As a LOI supporter, with so much optimism round European nights, it can be crushing when results just don't happen for the league and it gives fuel to those just to drive our league into the ground. I hope and believe Dundalk can give us a big night in tallaght in a few weeks to drive it down the throats of those naysayers and those who think they have it all sussed in their columns and occasional social media trolling outbursts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:19 pm

When you see the Play-Off round possibilities from the draw on Monday, it is frightening the quality of the seeded teams (75% chance of drawing one of the seeds) and some of the unseeded teams (25% chance of drawing one of them)
Seeded (Losers of UEFA Champions League third qualifying round)
Match 4: APOEL (CYP) / Qarabağ (AZE)
Match 5: PAOK (GRE) / Ajax (NED)
Match 6: Maribor (SVN) / Rosenborg (NOR)

Unseeded (Winners of UEFA Europa League third qualifying round – champions path)
Winner match 6: Sutjeska (MNE) / Linfield (NIR)
Winner match 7: Ludogorets (BUL) / The New Saints (WAL)
Winner match 8: Sarajevo (BIH) / BATE Borisov (BLR)
Winner match 9: Astana (KAZ) / Valletta (MLT)
Winner match 10: Slovan Bratislava (SVK) / Dundalk (IRL)
https://www.dundalkfc.com/europa-league ... w-details/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:19 pm
When you see the Play-Off round possibilities from the draw on Monday, it is frightening the quality of the seeded teams (75% chance of drawing one of the seeds) and some of the unseeded teams (25% chance of drawing one of them)

Unseeded (Winners of UEFA Europa League third qualifying round – champions path)
So we could draw Linfield?

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:49 pm
Ezeikial wrote:

So we could draw Linfield?
Hopefully!!!

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dundalk Wolf » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:53 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Pedant alert (forgive me) but it's a 40% chance of drawing an unseeded team, isn't it?

Five games, three seeds, so two chances in five?

Let's hope we draw one though, as the quality of the seeded teams is very high, as you say.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:10 pm

Dundalk Wolf wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:53 pm
Ezeikial wrote:
Pedant alert (forgive me) but it's a 40% chance of drawing an unseeded team, isn't it?

Five games, three seeds, so two chances in five?

Let's hope we draw one though, as the quality of the seeded teams is very high, as you say.
I think that in this section of the draw there are 4 games (same in other side of the draw) with 3 Seeded and 5 Unseeded teams

3 seeded teams means we have 3 chances out of 4 of drawing a seeded team = 75%

After the 3 seeded teams are drawn against unseeded opposition, the remaining 2 unseeded teams will play each other

I'm sure seand will be along to confirm or clarify!

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:47 pm

It all seems a little unclear with far too many permutations, I still cant understand how Linfield got drawn against a Faroes team in the last round.

Also can we draw Qarabag again, or is there a rule that you cant draw same team again or from same country unless its a group or later KO game ?

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Play off draw

Slovan Bratislava (SVK) / Dundalk (IRL) V PAOK (GRE) / Ajax (NED)

At home first leg

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Thats the winners of our tie against Slovan Bratlislava playing the losers of PAOK V Ajax

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:53 pm

That's an awful unlucky draw, could've been so much better. But on the upside, theres a potential dream trip to Amsterdam for fans!!!!

brodser
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by brodser » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:53 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Play off draw

Slovan Bratislava (SVK) / Dundalk (IRL) V PAOK (GRE) / Ajax (NED)

At home first leg
UEFA hate us.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk