2019-20 UEFA Europa League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Europa League

Post by Sneachta » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:09 pm

Looking at all results, there is a kick off a ball between a lot of sides.

I'm not buying all the doom and gloom about players/standards etc being spouted by national and local media. Only some of it mind you.

Looking at snippets of the Riga match, they might fancy their chances of an early goal to make the Danish nervous.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:19 pm

Slovan winning 1-0 sets up a fascinating second leg in Greece
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:16 am

That's an extraordinary result for Linfield. Interesting to see that this is the first season I'm aware of that an Irish League side actually took Europe seriously. Linfield we're back in preseason early in June and had training camp in Spain before the first round.

Last night's results underline the importance of the luck of the draw, but also underline the absolute importance of winning the league, with the parachute into the EL / EL2. It's monumentally more difficult to progress in Europe if you don't start in the Champions League.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:44 am

seand wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:16 am
That's an extraordinary result for Linfield. Interesting to see that this is the first season I'm aware of that an Irish League side actually took Europe seriously. Linfield we're back in preseason early in June and had training camp in Spain before the first round.

Last night's results underline the importance of the luck of the draw, but also underline the absolute importance of winning the league, with the parachute into the EL / EL2. It's monumentally more difficult to progress in Europe if you don't start in the Champions League.
Two goals from set pieces in which we have been shockingly poor for a few years now. Duffy is one of the top players in the league but he cannot take a corner or free kick that really hurts teams. I really can't fathom that there isn't one of the other 9 outfield players that can whip the ball in the way Darren Meenan used to.

This was a flaw in Kenny that has continued with Perth but finally Perth has started to look at other options. Look at the difference in Murray's corners and free kicks. We actually look like we have a chance of scoring from set pieces rather than not beating the first man or a big loopy cross that is impossible to score from.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Our goal against Qarabag came from a Murray corner, and with Linfield scoring twice from a set piece, it may be an avenue that we didn't exploit enough in our 2 matches against them.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:47 pm

Awful lot being read into last night’s game as a comparison to us. They win 3-2, we’re a fraction from winning 2-1. Fine margins and a bit of luck. Pity a Qarabag lad didn’t fall over in the middle of the pitch against us.

Wonderful one off result for Linfield, but that’s likely to be all it is.

And yes Duffy’s set pieces have been muck for as long as I can think of. That high looping corner behind the back post is as bad as hitting the first man.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:43 pm

Qarabag and Slovan making group stages, and Riga missing out by a goal, all proving that luck of the draw will matter as much in future as shelling out on players that our income says we can’t afford...

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:12 pm

Not a peep out of Master McKenna....yet. waiting....

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:23 pm

Sneachta wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:12 pm
Not a peep out of Master McKenna....yet. waiting....

It's likely that he will simply double down on his original tweet - that Linfields performance casts a poor reflection on Dundalk and LoI generally.

In truth their performances over the two legs has been nothing short of remarkable. It will be interesting to take them on in the Unite the Union two leg competition in November
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.