Derry City V Dundalk | Sat 14 Sept | 8pm | Ryan McBride Stadium Brandywell | EA Sports Cup Final

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Quayman
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Derry City V Dundalk | Sat 14 Sept | 8pm | Ryan McBride Stadium Brandywell | EA Sports Cup Final

Post by Quayman » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:25 pm

You could clearly see faces. Faces of alot of regular shed bellends on the TV last nite. I wonder who has the balls to actually do something here for once. There's even photos up on twitter of guriers on buses on route to Derry carrying hammers.

Neale Fenn....SCUM

Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Derry City V Dundalk | Sat 14 Sept | 8pm | Ryan McBride Stadium Brandywell | EA Sports Cup Final

Post by Alanek » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:31 am
El Paso wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:48 am
The troublemakers are often lads who only go to matches like last night’s. That’s why I was saying the only way to try stop it is a registration system.
It seems to me that there is little will among the clubs (including Dundalk) to deal with the type of issues that we saw last night.

Certainly Martin Connolly and some of the players (Brian Gartland was prominent) tried to encourage the pitch invaders off the pitch. But if the club were seriously motivated they would have stewards among the crowd and would have an effective system of banning culprits. I think most clubs only get motivated by FAI fines or simply pay lip service to the problem
Let’s not get the pitch invaders and scum mixed up .the pitch invaders are a lot of people that should know better .no harm meant by them .But they should let the team celebrate themselves on the pitch .
The scum on the other hand are the ones that goaded the Derry faithful in the stands .the yolk who got karate kicked as seen on Tv is a regular at oriel and away games .if the club want to take action the pictures are there.
And for the fool who threw a can of beer at a steward during the first half ,wat a brave lad you are.
I feel a lot of this can be sorted out at oriel ,,the club need too sort the shed out ,right were the annoying drum is played” the no go area”,that needs to be policed .I dare say a separate set of stewards “outsiders” is needed too school this area.I noticed the blue jacket stewards in the Brandywell were marked as EJECTION STEWARDS.maybe that’s the way to go .
Anyway I don’t know .just annoyed with wat happened last night.kind of ruined the night for me.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:25 pm

I thought there was some of our own steward there? There was at least one chap in front of the stand with a CX+ security hi vis, so I assumed he was one of ours.

It really did sour the celebrations, as the trophy presentation was happening at the same time.

Have to say, I thought the local stewards were a disgrace. There was Argo caused after Derrys first goal by the stewards openly celebrating in front of Dundalk fans leading to some clown throwing a can of beer.

During the celebrations a smoke bomb was thrown onto the pitch, only for a steward to pick it up, run at the fans and throw it back at the clowns behind the goal, fair play to Dane Massey and Martin Connolly for confronting him over it. If you watch Duffy’s interview you can see it just happening in the background.

As for the handbags, everyone except the stewards could see what was about to happen except the stewards, why were they so slow to react?

On entering the ground, no separate entrance for “away” fans, no security check, didn’t even have to show a ticket to get in, no separate toilet facilities

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:57 pm

It is a sad indictment of the situation if part of the problem is seen to be fans using the same entrance, toilets, food wagons etc.

As regards the difference between pitch invaders and goading scumbags who want to cause trouble, of course they are not the same. The first group are costing the club money in fines, inhibiting the celebrations for players and other fans, and crucially give an opportunity to others to create trouble. It is not acceptable and should not be tolerated. Otherwise it just gets worse. The second group should be banned totally. Personally I would favour arrests and prosecutions as well as stadium bans
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:08 pm

Alanek wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:17 pm
Ezeikial wrote:
El Paso wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:48 am
The troublemakers are often lads who only go to matches like last night’s. That’s why I was saying the only way to try stop it is a registration system.
It seems to me that there is little will among the clubs (including Dundalk) to deal with the type of issues that we saw last night.

Certainly Martin Connolly and some of the players (Brian Gartland was prominent) tried to encourage the pitch invaders off the pitch. But if the club were seriously motivated they would have stewards among the crowd and would have an effective system of banning culprits. I think most clubs only get motivated by FAI fines or simply pay lip service to the problem
Let’s not get the pitch invaders and scum mixed up .the pitch invaders are a lot of people that should know better .no harm meant by them .But they should let the team celebrate themselves on the pitch .
The scum on the other hand are the ones that goaded the Derry faithful in the stands .the yolk who got karate kicked as seen on Tv is a regular at oriel and away games .if the club want to take action the pictures are there.
And for the fool who threw a can of beer at a steward during the first half ,wat a brave lad you are.
I feel a lot of this can be sorted out at oriel ,,the club need too sort the shed out ,right were the annoying drum is played” the no go area”,that needs to be policed .I dare say a separate set of stewards “outsiders” is needed too school this area.I noticed the blue jacket stewards in the Brandywell were marked as EJECTION STEWARDS.maybe that’s the way to go .
Anyway I don’t know .just annoyed with wat happened last night.kind of ruined the night for me.
Agee with plenty of your comments above apart from policing the no go area as you call it. There is never any trouble in the no go area and without the “ “annoying drum” the atmosphere would be drastically reduced. The drum drives the chants which drives the atmosphere. This no go area is made up of lads who organise the drum and make up the songs and create flags and banners and follow the team throughout the country without any problems. There are plenty of other places to go in the shed if you don’t fancy it further along the Shed is an much older demographic of original shed members. Who behaved in a very similar way 20+ years previously, in some ways it is a right of passage. Football is an opportunity to let yourself free. I wish we had have had a drum back in the 80’s, the nearest we got was wrapping the loose bit of galvanised in the old shed. Those boys with the drum put in huge effort and energy creating the amazing atmosphere last night, we don’t want to drive them away

Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:20 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:08 pm
Alanek wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:17 pm
Ezeikial wrote:

Agee with plenty of your comments above apart from policing the no go area as you call it. There is never any trouble in the no go area and without the “ “annoying drum” the atmosphere would be drastically reduced. The drum drives the chants which drives the atmosphere. This no go area is made up of lads who organise the drum and make up the songs and create flags and banners and follow the team throughout the country without any problems. There are plenty of other places to go in the shed if you don’t fancy it further along the Shed is an much older demographic of original shed members. Who behaved in a very similar way 20+ years previously, in some ways it is a right of passage. Football is an opportunity to let yourself free. I wish we had have had a drum back in the 80’s, the nearest we got was wrapping the loose bit of galvanised in the old shed. Those boys with the drum put in huge effort and energy creating the amazing atmosphere last night, we don’t want to drive them away
Firstly,.did you ever record a game and watch it back .the drum sounds terrible ,too say there is never trouble is not true .can you honestly say no alcohol is consumed tere .as for the smoke ,,it’s not just flares we can smell .the point I’m making is a lot of the scum we saw last nite are stuck in that section .im not talking bout Danny and co ,,who do create a good atmosphere.

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:39 pm

So The drum annoys you when you watch a game on TV. so we should ban it. The drum goes with Danny and co. It sets the chants going. When there is no drum the atmosphere is considerably less. Yes there is drink and weed in the shed but there isn’t trouble, two different things.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:39 pm
So The drum annoys you when you watch a game on TV. so we should ban it. The drum goes with Danny and co. It sets the chants going. When there is no drum the atmosphere is considerably less. Yes there is drink and weed in the shed but there isn’t trouble, two different things.
Drinking in public is illegal, so is smoking normal cigarettes, and weed certainly isn't legal. So all of these lead to an unsavoury atmosphere. Would you want your children around people smoking weed? Read the club rules.. the club should enforce these rules.. how are they getting cans into grounds? If i bring a bag with me to games I am searched.. the last time we played in Inchicore i was in the main stand and I could cleary see people drinking glass bottles of coors light. All it takes is a contentious decision and somebody throws that bottle onto the pitch and splits somebody open with it. If it is a Rovers Dundalk cup final it is gonna be a feisty encounter and the stewards and gardai need to be alert for this one. We have an element of scrotes following us especially at big games. There were a few looking for hassle at the game in turners x that sealed the title. The went into the turners x tavern and were immediately told by dundalk fans to feck away out of it. They are bringing the club and the rest of us genuine fans a bad name.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Your not implying drink and drugs are ok are you ?
Secondly ,,there have been times this season were people have jumped the fence on to the pitch ,,guess wat section they are in .thirdly , there have been times this season were bottles have been thrown on the pitch ,again guess wat section it came from .
Sorry for waffling on but tere have been flares and smoke bombs ,which incur fines for the club ,,guess what section they come from .

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:48 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:01 pm
Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Drinking in public is illegal, so is smoking normal cigarettes, and weed certainly isn't legal. So all of these lead to an unsavoury atmosphere. Would you want your children around people smoking weed? Read the club rules.. the club should enforce these rules.. how are they getting cans into grounds? If i bring a bag with me to games I am searched.. the last time we played in Inchicore i was in the main stand and I could cleary see people drinking glass bottles of coors light. All it takes is a contentious decision and somebody throws that bottle onto the pitch and splits somebody open with it. If it is a Rovers Dundalk cup final it is gonna be a feisty encounter and the stewards and gardai need to be alert for this one. We have an element of scrotes following us especially at big games. There were a few looking for hassle at the game in turners x that sealed the title. The went into the turners x tavern and were immediately told by dundalk fans to feck away out of it. They are bringing the club and the rest of us genuine fans a bad name.
I wouldn’t bring my kids to the shed. Yes those things are illegal. Shall we sit on our hands like they do in the stand and not say a word during the game apart from humpy moaning for every misplaced pass. Take the younger fans and their “behaviours” out of the game and we may as well stay at home and watch the EPL. Scum who fight and want to fight. no, let’s get rid of them but let’s not sanitised the game to kill it.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Sadly, last nights trouble has to be taken in the context of previous visits (attacks on buses). There was always going to be an element travelling who were prepared to get their retaliation in first. It was the deciding factor in my opting to watch on TV. This gave a different perspective. Late in the game Michael Duffy was taking a corner and the area was littered with flag sticks which had obviously been removed and used as spears. As he moved, what appeared to be a bottle landed about a foot behind him. The steward never batted an eyelid, never mind removing it. For the first Derry penalty, a green laser was shone into Aaron's eyes from the main stand. It was extremely obvious on the camera shot and both commentators remarked on it. He should have brought the referees attention to it before the penalty was taken. Luckily it wasn't relevant in the end but can you imagine what would have happened if we had lost? A full scale pitch invasion by Derry fans was inevitable and yes, some would have headed straight for our end. Their attitude as a club was summed up by the serious personal abuse directed at Patrick McEleney on the way down after the presentation. I have no idea what was said but when a player of his experience reacts - and other members of the team get involved - one has to assume it crossed the line in a serious way.

As has been already stated, ANYONE who crossed the wall last night was in the wrong, even if just to get a selfie, or high five a player.

Its certainly NOT like Dundalk fans to invade the pitch, and I'm left wondering if the post match celebrations by the Shels fans in United Park on Friday night had a more widespread effect than we realise.

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:08 pm

There was a guy from the shed-side ejected from OP during the Cork game. It took 4 stewards and 2 Gardai following them to do it.
He looked out of it but if it took that many people to do it , they’ll never do full scale ejections that might be needed

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:52 pm

The kick off time didn’t help. Definitely part of it. Plenty probably well boozed up and worse by then.

There are two different arguments going on here. Whatever about behaviour in the shed, going on the pitch to confront other fans is a whole other level and needs to be stamped out.

Mick Mac
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Mick Mac » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:08 pm
There was a guy from the shed-side ejected from OP during the Cork game. It took 4 stewards and 2 Gardai following them to do it.
He looked out of it but if it took that many people to do it , they’ll never do full scale ejections that might be needed
He was no more than 16 and was hammered, could barely stand up
When i see you dundalk, I just cant enough, I Just cant get enough

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:07 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:48 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:01 pm
Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
I wouldn’t bring my kids to the shed. Yes those things are illegal. Shall we sit on our hands like they do in the stand and not say a word during the game apart from humpy moaning for every misplaced pass. Take the younger fans and their “behaviours” out of the game and we may as well stay at home and watch the EPL. Scum who fight and want to fight. no, let’s get rid of them but let’s not sanitised the game to kill it.
Seriously? So because younger fans sing and chant and create an atmosphere they get carte blanche to do whatever they want?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.