Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Post by seand » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:56 am

Not the highest quality, but a really entertaining classic cup tie. Great atmosphere and yet again this extraordinary group of players are able to dig deep and haul a result out without playing at their best. That's all the way to the cup final without playing a game at home.

If we did return or not use 200 tickets I'd love to know where they thought we were going to go. It was 2-3 deep at the wall from the halfway line to behind the goal and at least 3 people for every 2 seats in the stand.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Post by White Horse » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:43 am

seand wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:56 am

If we did return or not use 200 tickets I'd love to know where they thought we were going to go. It was 2-3 deep at the wall from the halfway line to behind the goal and at least 3 people for every 2 seats in the stand.
We would have had the whole stand. However, as Sligo sold the tickets we returned to home fans and put them in that stand, someone (Sligo or Guards) decided to put 600 people into a segregated area that fits only 400 people.

Disgraceful carry on.

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Post by McNultys Discopants » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 am

seand wrote:
Not a great game but like champions we kept going and got to the final - happy days.

Now for a whinge - while space was at a premium, and I'd like to know where the hell the extra 200 people were going to go too but we have some absolute a$$holes supporting the club.

That whole area in front of the stand is a walkway, it's not intended as a terrace for people to stand in front of other paying supporters seated in actual seats! I got in early to get a good seat for my 8 year old to get a good view at the front, as further back he'll not see anything with people standing. Anyway, long story short, all those tools coming in and not giving a flying fcuk about anybody else's view. There was an elderly man beside me with a crutch who was seated and had to stand up for the game because of this. He actually had an argument with a well known Dundalk supporter (her and her husband run buses to most away games) about it, and she just told him to "Fcuk OFF, she can stand wherever she wants". Well, No, ya can't - shouldn't be standing in front of a seated stand.

Anyway I know I'll get a lot of flack about this post and I don't know where they were meant to go but... if we want football to grow in this country then it has to be a family friendly place that people want to come back to. My 8 year old went to watch a cup semi final then ended up with a view of peoples ar$e pockets instead.

Load of gack.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:09 am

McNultys Discopants wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 am
seand wrote:
Not a great game but like champions we kept going and got to the final - happy days.

Now for a whinge - while space was at a premium, and I'd like to know where the hell the extra 200 people were going to go too but we have some absolute a$$holes supporting the club.

That whole area in front of the stand is a walkway, it's not intended as a terrace for people to stand in front of other paying supporters seated in actual seats! I got in early to get a good seat for my 8 year old to get a good view at the front, as further back he'll not see anything with people standing. Anyway, long story short, all those tools coming in and not giving a flying fcuk about anybody else's view. There was an elderly man beside me with a crutch who was seated and had to stand up for the game because of this. He actually had an argument with a well known Dundalk supporter (her and her husband run buses to most away games) about it, and she just told him to "Fcuk OFF, she can stand wherever she wants". Well, No, ya can't - shouldn't be standing in front of a seated stand.

Anyway I know I'll get a lot of flack about this post and I don't know where they were meant to go but... if we want football to grow in this country then it has to be a family friendly place that people want to come back to. My 8 year old went to watch a cup semi final then ended up with a view of peoples ar$e pockets instead.

Load of gack.
While the abusive response you outlined is far from reasonable, the problem here is the overcrowding - as there were less seats than spectators, standing was really the only option for people.

The issue should be addressed by the club with Sligo Rovers and/or the FAI. People have a right to an explanation and apology. It is not acceptable
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 am

What do you want an explanation/apology for though? Agree that it's not ideal that kids etc have an obstructed view or forced to stand, but it's a pretty rare occasion and you'd have the same issue in way ends at Bohs, Drogheda, Oriel etc. The only way to manage the situation would be by restricting us to a couple of hundred tickets. Don't think too many of us would advocate that. Would you be looking for an explanation/apology if Sligo were overpacked in our sh1t away end?

gavinmclaughlin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by gavinmclaughlin » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Video diary from yesterday's FAI Cup semi-final at The Showgrounds.

Featuring contributions from:

Adrian Taaffe
Ciaran Culligan
Cork Tom
Sean Paul O’Shaughnessy
Gerry Malone
Michael Duffy
Vinny Perth
RTE

https://youtu.be/EPQkRSk5pM8

Full Vinny Perth interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cOxNtsd3yA

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:01 pm

seand wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 am
What do you want an explanation/apology for though? Agree that it's not ideal that kids etc have an obstructed view or forced to stand, but it's a pretty rare occasion and you'd have the same issue in way ends at Bohs, Drogheda, Oriel etc. The only way to manage the situation would be by restricting us to a couple of hundred tickets. Don't think too many of us would advocate that. Would you be looking for an explanation/apology if Sligo were overpacked in our sh1t away end?

The stand accommodates over 800 and we were allocated the whole stand.

We returned two hundred tickets and were then given only half the stand.

Someone made that decision knowing that the away section would be overcrowded.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:16 pm

Fairy nuff.... we didn't sell it out though, don't think should Sligo just leave it 3/4 full. I'm glad they were able to accommodate another few hundred home fans tbh. Shades of Rovers at the 2014 league cup final.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:30 pm

seand wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 am
seand wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:16 pm
Fairy nuff.... we didn't sell it out though, don't think should Sligo just leave it 3/4 full. I'm glad they were able to accommodate another few hundred home fans tbh. Shades of Rovers at the 2014 league cup final.
White Horse has probably adequately answered the the question about an explanation and apology, but it is fundamentally about accountability.

It is not right that a decision should be made unilaterally to overcrowd one section of the ground. I don't want to overegg it, but there are clear safety issues in addition to the more obvious comfort and inconvenience issues outlined in earlier posts.

Our away section should carry an permanent apology with it, but that does not excuse the overcrowding in SLigo or anywhere else
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:07 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:51 pm
Blackandwhite10 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:45 pm
Result all that matters at this stage..but some of the performances are to be questioned, massey was terrible and mcgrath needs some end product.
With the amount of games these guys are playing there is always the risk of some flat performances through simple fatigue.

It does seem bizarre that despite the amazing run of results, being unbeaten domestically for over 5 months, that players who have done so well in most of these games should get flack over occasional moderate performances
McGrath is still a young player learning his trade. He’s been in and out of the team since he signed for us. It’s only this year that he’s managed to nail down a permanent spot. that’s a big step in the right direction. Remember he didn’t start in the cup final last year. I bet he starts this year. Let’s see how he develops....that’s if he re signs.
Last edited by Martin Lawlor80 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:13 pm

McGrath hasn’t done as much as it looked like he might. Certainly doesn’t score enough. I had hopes for him as a number 8 but they’ve played McEleney there instead whenever Benson and Murray are out. He’s played out of position on the right of the three imo. Right now he’s most at risk of missing out on a starting cup final spot.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:16 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:13 pm
McGrath hasn’t done as much as it looked like he might. Certainly doesn’t score enough. I had hopes for him as a number 8 but they’ve played McEleney there instead whenever Benson and Murray are out. He’s played out of position on the right of the three imo. Right now he’s most at risk of missing out on a starting cup final spot.
Haha was editing my post!
Still think he’ll start, he’s become a favorite if VP

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:20 pm

Yeah Vinny really likes him - he’s a proper player. But if McEleney is fit and Dano Kelly stands out the next few weeks, then he might get squeezed out.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:26 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 am
seand wrote:

Load of gack.
I'd just like to comment that even though the shed is mainly a seated area everybody stands. I am temporarily using a walking stick and I'd love to sit but if I do I can't see the game. Just saying..............
The Back of the Wall

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:17 pm

Was going to say something similar, but they’re two different issues - overcrowding versus layout.

But it’s true about the Shed. Very hard for a kid or someone who can’t stand to see anything that side of the ground.