Cork City V Dundalk | Fri 18 Oct | 7.45pm | Turner's Cross | Matchday 35

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Fri 18 Oct | 7.45pm | Turner's Cross | Matchday 35

Post by El Paso » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:38 pm

Knew we weren’t scoring within 5 minutes of the second half starting. Their keeper made a couple of great saves but we strolled around the place all night.

I know it doesn’t matter but momentum is a thing in football and all of a sudden we have none.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:06 pm

Doubt any of the players are overly worried.

Starting 11 in the cup final becoming a little bit clearer cos no one has given Perth any headaches the last three games. Think Boyle and Murray might have played their way out of the starting 11. No sign Jarvis will displace Massey either.

So:
Rogers, Gannon, Cleary, Hoare, Massey, Shields, Benson, Duffy, McGrath, Kelly, Hoban I’d say. With Kelly losing out if McEleney gets fit.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:07 pm

El Paso wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:06 pm
Doubt any of the players are overly worried.

Starting 11 in the cup final becoming a little bit clearer cos no one has given Perth any headaches the last three games. Think Boyle and Murray might have played their way out of the starting 11. No sign Jarvis will displace Massey either.

So:
Rogers, Gannon, Cleary, Hoare, Massey, Shields, Benson, Duffy, McGrath, Kelly, Hoban I’d say. With Kelly losing out if McEleney gets fit.
I'd have McEleney for Benson if he's fit
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Very hard to get motivated when League is won , doing handstands. It’s all about minding the body .
Bring on Aviva & see the real Dundalk.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:22 pm

Benson was probably our best player tonight. Not saying much, but what little we created he was involved.

Duffy caught POTM-itis. One appalling dead ball after another.

Blackandwhite10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Blackandwhite10 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:12 pm

Terrible goal gave away by Dane massey. Clearly the suspension thing is stopping jarvis being selected as massey has been terrible. play dummigan left back instead. Momentum is lost

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:43 pm

Blackandwhite10 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:12 pm
Terrible goal gave away by Dane massey. Clearly the suspension thing is stopping jarvis being selected as massey has been terrible. play dummigan left back instead. Momentum is lost
Yes he seemed unsure whether to step up or not but Boyle charged into midfield and didn’t win the ball which caused the problem in the first place imo but yes I’d have Jarvis and dummigan ahead of him alright

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:20 am

El Paso wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:36 pm
Shite half of ball. Good pass played in O’Connor, finished well. I suppose when teams play so deep against us we don’t get to see goals like that, but it looked so easy compared to how difficult we make things look sometimes.

Obviously nothing on the line but two defeats in a row not exactly a good prep for the two cup finals ahead
Stuey Byrne made a good point on RTE last night. He said that these couple of defeats might actually be a good thing for Dundalk heading into the cup final. It might give us a kick up the arse and reignite a bit of fire in us instead of just cruising into it. Let's hope he's right!!!

Weelilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Weelilywhite » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:30 pm

Agree with Blackandwhite. Wasn't at the game but saw the goal on RTE. Terrible defending by Massey. How often this season has he been to blame for goals we conceded. Will be a cause of concern, if selected in the Aviva. A few observations:
According to Dundalk Twitter, apart from Hoban's fall in the first few minutes, we had 14 chances & Cork had 3.
Given our record with injuries, it is understandable that the players were looking after themselves, to ensure they do not miss the Cup Final. Murray got clattered by Mc Cormack, ( surprise, surprise) and was withdrawn . Was he injured ?
Our game in Sligo deteriorated badly, after Mc Eleney got injured and we have not been the same since, as he was coming into a rich vein of form. Crucial he is fully fit for the final.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:13 pm

I’m not sure I agree. Boyle left the line and Massey moved across to plug the gap. The moment Boyle sells himself is the moment the goal is made. When the ball is played Boyle is in the centre circle. Ludicrous. I don’t see how Massey can avoid the Cork player getting the run on him from there, even if he doesn’t try stepping up.

Also at the time I thought the Cork player who passed it had come back from an offside position. Can’t see Gannon in the video so can’t be definite, but I’m pretty sure he held the line. You can clearly see him come from behind Hoare to pick up the ball, so it should have been flagged.

Blackandwhite10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Blackandwhite10 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:06 pm

Your opinion but don't agree at all.. when the center back ever steps into a higher position it's up to the full backs to tuck in and cover . Step up was terrible and never on. He should have got narrow and let the pass go wide .