Best ever

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Best ever

Post by mike » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Good question, and always think it has to be players you actually saw playing in your own time. For me always a tough one to chose between Barry Kehoe and Tommy Mc, actually had the pleasure of playing with both on Saturday games in the grammar school, both incredible at helping the worst player on the pitch to settle and enjoy the game. Both had so much in common, both locals and both had moves to Man U fall through for vastly different reasons.

Has to be Barry, as I saw his whole career, from first to last game, for younger readers, this was an incredible player, honestly think every time he attacked on the wing, it ended up with a goal or a shot on target, he had an unbelievable consistent record. This was a player that from work mates who were Rovers / Bohs fans, all paused when his name was mentioned 'a brilliant brilliant player. You hear the term 'perfect 10' Barry was our perfect 8 (squad no).

God bless them both, fantastic players, Tommy with his full Ireland caps, but Barry for me, 2 league titles and 1 cup.

Big Alan, do you remember Athlone 82, Barry ????

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:07 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:43 pm
What about best 3 performances this season. An easier list to judge. For me

Quarabag 2nd half at home
Rovers h the 2-1 earlier in the season
Bohs 2-0 away early on season also
The 1-0 win away to Rovers was my fav, as a professionally managed display as you could hope for, dealt with all the pressure then won it in the last 20, and effectively won the league, was no coming back from Rovers after that.

Went on holiday next day, glorious stuff.

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:42 pm

mike wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:54 pm
Good question, and always think it has to be players you actually saw playing in your own time. For me always a tough one to chose between Barry Kehoe and Tommy Mc, actually had the pleasure of playing with both on Saturday games in the grammar school, both incredible at helping the worst player on the pitch to settle and enjoy the game. Both had so much in common, both locals and both had moves to Man U fall through for vastly different reasons.

Has to be Barry, as I saw his whole career, from first to last game, for younger readers, this was an incredible player, honestly think every time he attacked on the wing, it ended up with a goal or a shot on target, he had an unbelievable consistent record. This was a player that from work mates who were Rovers / Bohs fans, all paused when his name was mentioned 'a brilliant brilliant player. You hear the term 'perfect 10' Barry was our perfect 8 (squad no).

God bless them both, fantastic players, Tommy with his full Ireland caps, but Barry for me, 2 league titles and 1 cup.

Big Alan, do you remember Athlone 82, Barry ????
The goal in the dust to win the league.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:42 pm

That's the one. have a photo somewhere, I'll try and find it, superb shot. Leo Flanagan who had crossed it was standing still, keeping onside, the ball bounced down, hit the dust (sand) Athlone had on the bone dry pitch, Carlyle headed down and into the net.

Barry K must have been only 20 at the time, had a super game in MF.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:27 pm

mike wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:42 pm
That's the one. have a photo somewhere, I'll try and find it, superb shot. Leo Flanagan who had crossed it was standing still, keeping onside, the ball bounced down, hit the dust (sand) Athlone had on the bone dry pitch, Carlyle headed down and into the net.

Barry K must have been only 20 at the time, had a super game in MF.
What a game that was Mike. I remember a big crowd walking to that game from Athlone Town centre to St. Mels. And the dust billowing up when big Hilda scored. ..
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:37 pm

It was a brilliant game, no replica tops back then, the choice of wear was a the black and white hooped rugby tops. Our fans mostly in the shed behind the goal, Hilda scored the first the other end, but Sean Byrne (RIP) got the second in the shed end to start off the celebrations.

This was the one season only trial with the crazy points system, 4 for an away win, 3 for a home win, 2 for a away draw and 1 for a home draw. I looked at the table since and we still would have won it for 2 points for a win, 3 didn't come in for a few years after.

marvin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by marvin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:13 am

Tommy Mac and the Hulk.
Tomorrow is another day.