Dundalk V Derry City | Fri 14 Feb | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 1

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V Derry City | Fri 14 Feb | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 1

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:38 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:22 am

You asked the question and I gave an answer and made my point about the poor attendance at the cup final which has nothing to do with poor facilities and everything to do with casual fan apathy. I couldn’t be bothered carrying on this debate as yet again its just another thread hijacked about the facilities
Nobody has hijacked anything here - and nobody is trying to force you to be "bothered"

The attendance at Oriel last night was raised and some posters (including you) explored the reasons for it.

You seem locked in to the notion that it is all due to floating fan apathy and how nothing can be done about it.

It seems incredibly narrow minded to me to label people a "disgrace" rather than try to identify any possible causes for this apathy or possible solutions to it.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:01 pm

El Paso wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:27 am
And the irony is the more attendances drop the more that fact will be used to justify doing nothing in a classic case of wrong headedness. 3,200 could look great in a few weeks.

Any time we have over 3k is an achievement in my book.
I’d be delighted if we could average 3k for the season. But we needed the large Derry support to break 3k last night so not a great start

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:17 pm

We average 2,700 pretty consistently. 3K for the Friday matches generally. But we never get over 3K without half decent away support.

Incidentally I thought that ball was a bit funny. Seemed to balloon away when struck quite a few times.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:27 pm

Lads a 3k attendance on Valentines night aint bad at all for a club in a town of 60k odd. Plenty of lads would have been in the dog house all week and wouldnt have got the leg over had they gone up to Oriel last night.

I think fans have to look at the issues the club are trying to get right with the appointments made over the last couple of weeks. The biggest problem is club marketing and match night marketing. If you claim facilities bring in people...why are Rovers not selling out Tallaght every week??? Why have Rovers lower attendances than we do???

Last nights attendances:https://twitter.com/DomesticIreland/sta ... 9525209088
League of Ireland Attendance Report 2019: https://www.extratime.ie/articles/24005 ... port-2019/

No club in LOI are earning near enough through attendances or support to finance a new build let alone cope with the annual running costs of a new build, ask Rovers how much the council are paying to maintain Tallaght per year, hence Vinnys comments last night in the programme asking for TDs and government support. Hence also Peak6 placing importance on European football short term...that is where the money is to earned.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Full value for the win, Derry came to sit in and deserved what they got in the end. Thought Gannon was denied a clear penalty.

Cammy Smith was good, Sloggett looks like a 6 not an 8 and would like to see Flores in with Shields for a while. Everyone else was pretty solid.

Massey wasn't great in general, and I expect Leahy to have his number by the season end.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:53 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:31 pm
Full value for the win, Derry came to sit in and deserved what they got in the end. Thought Gannon was denied a clear penalty.

Cammy Smith was good, Sloggett looks like a 6 not an 8 and would like to see Flores in with Shields for a while. Everyone else was pretty solid.

Massey wasn't great in general, and I expect Leahy to have his number by the season end.

Interesting to read about Gannon I couldn’t tell as I was far away ( although I have a perfect view of the whole pitch from where I sit in the stand :) ) thoughts on the Massey one? It looked to me that he was grabbed back and should have been given ?

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:27 pm
If you claim facilities bring in people...why are Rovers not selling out Tallaght every week??? Why have Rovers lower attendances than we do???

League of Ireland Attendance Report 2019: https://www.extratime.ie/articles/24005 ... port-2019/
They don't have lower attendances

The figures on the link you posted shows Rovers had over 25% better average attendance last season.

Pepsi wrote:

No club in LOI are earning near enough through attendances or support to finance a new build let alone cope with the annual running costs of a new build, ask Rovers how much the council are paying to maintain Tallaght per year, hence Vinnys comments last night in the programme asking for TDs and government support. Hence also Peak6 placing importance on European football short term...that is where the money is to earned.
Why do you keep pretending that people are demanding a new build stadium?

Upgrades and improvements are feasible without multi-million euro spends
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:15 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:53 pm
dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Interesting to read about Gannon I couldn’t tell as I was far away ( although I have a perfect view of the whole pitch from where I sit in the stand :) ) thoughts on the Massey one? It looked to me that he was grabbed back and should have been given ?
Massey look like he got a hand on the shoulder and went down too easy. I had an imperfect view of that one.

punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by punkha » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Didnt know much about Sloggett before last night but thought he looked very good.
Good touch/vision and very athletic. Seems to have a good attitude also got a couple of knocks that would have had other players rolling around but just shrugged them off.
Rodgers looked very sharp also couple of good reflex saves.
We looked a bit rusty overall but job done 3 points onwards and upwards.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:11 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:10 pm
Pepsi wrote:
If you claim facilities bring in people...why are Rovers not selling out Tallaght every week??? Why have Rovers lower attendances than we do???

They don't have lower attendances

The figures on the link you posted shows Rovers had over 25% better average attendance last season.

Pepsi wrote:

Why do you keep pretending that people are demanding a new build stadium?

Upgrades and improvements are feasible without multi-million euro spends
To point 1....you are right they have 25% more...and that in a city of over 1 million inhabitants, a new ground and money to spend on good players. Now compare that to Dundalk....60-100k catchment, money to spend and a stadium which is dated and no council willing to build a new one. People forget when we were on our knees some years ago LCC were still looking for approx. €300k+ for the levies which Mattews left from the YDC. Why didnt they say.....a new start, we want to support the club and local football.....we will write them off??? What levies would be involved if Peak6 started building?? Hence Vinny calling on TDs and government to support football in his programme notes last night.

To point 2.....again I will ask as I have many times. What implications will changing any structures or internal features at Oriel have to planning, health and safety. Putting a roof on a terrace would influence the ability of the fire service to extinguish fires for example.....the town end.....putting a terrace on the mound would mean restricted access to the Shed as it would increase the capacity of the ground, meaning new health and safety regulations. Would also require planning if I am correctly informed.....I am no civil engineer but I have seen 2 stadium builds on mainland Europe, which the company I work for bought naming rights for or partly sponsored. Its not as stright forward as many people in here think....and takes time.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:13 pm

punkha wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:36 pm
Didnt know much about Sloggett before last night but thought he looked very good.
His touch can be a bit off at times but he looks very athletic and positive. I think he is a player that has the capacity to improve and looks a good signing.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:20 pm

White Horse wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:13 pm
punkha wrote:
His touch can be a bit off at times but he looks very athletic and positive. I think he is a player that has the capacity to improve and looks a good signing.
He wasn’t the only one who’s touch was off. I thought Derry looked much sharper in the first half. We probably could have done with that extra friendly against rovers to bring us on

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:28 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
White Horse wrote:
punkha wrote:
He wasn’t the only one who’s touch was off. I thought Derry looked much sharper in the first half. We probably could have done with that extra friendly against rovers to bring us on
Would agree with this and to be honest, a draw might just have been about what they deserved. They had a few clear chances and bar the fact we were the home side putting the pressure on, it was a squeaky 1-0 win.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Niall Newberry's post match interview with Vinny Perth

https://soundcloud.com/niall-newberry/v ... -14th-2020

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:22 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:20 pm
White Horse wrote:
punkha wrote:
Derry only had 3 preseason games and had more new faces in their starting line up