Dundalk V Derry City | Fri 14 Feb | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 1

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Derry City | Fri 14 Feb | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 1

Post by Wexford White » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:52 pm

Plenty of reasons expressed for a perceived poor attendance last night. I don't have a view on it but I do know that the fools with the flares are not doing us any favours. Eventually somebody is going to be seriously injured.
Is it too much to expect that these morons are banned? They are certainly recognisable!
The Back of the Wall

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:43 pm

I'm not sure Sloggett and Shields starting is our best option, both are essentially playing no 6 role although Sloggett a bit more forward, plus not sure why Smith got the nod to start. I would have absolutely gone for Flores to add a bit of creativity in the middle. We had lost two passers in that role in the shape of Benson and McGrath, so I was puzzled a little on the MF selections.

Both Shields and Sloggett played well, the latter will be a great addition, just thought too similar.

Good win in the end, we didn't play great, but definitely lifted it last 15-20 and we were the only team looking to win it. Derry are strong, that's a side nailed on for a euro spot this season.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:20 pm

Wexford White wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:52 pm
Plenty of reasons expressed for a perceived poor attendance last night. I don't have a view on it but I do know that the fools with the flares are not doing us any favours. Eventually somebody is going to be seriously injured.
Is it too much to expect that these morons are banned? They are certainly recognisable!
Do you mean from the Dundalk fans, the crowd was just under 3,200, not sure how many away, could be as high as 400 which leaves 2,800 home fans, it was brisk but not the worst weather wise, but we should still be getting 3k home support IMO.

Having a roof both sides of the stand, L shape as not to obstruct stand view, repeat, repeat, won't cost the earth, but would def add to the attendances going forward. I don't understand why these modest improvements can't be made, and they could during a season, start the work on the Monday after a home game on a Friday if no mid week home game, that would give 9 working days to get it completed, it could be done. I think even for soccer rep highlights, it would look so much better.

I think the lack of cover from the elements in parts of the ground for bad weather nights will reduce the crowd by potentially (maybe) 500, that's a lot of money if split between away fans and non ST home fans, possibly 5k (min). However I will accept for fine evenings we also can have modest turn outs, and that's disappointing given the quality of the current squad.

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:04 am

mike wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:20 pm
Wexford White wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:52 pm
Do you mean from the Dundalk fans, the crowd was just under 3,200, not sure how many away, could be as high as 400 which leaves 2,800 home fans, it was brisk but not the worst weather wise, but we should still be getting 3k home support IMO.

Having a roof both sides of the stand, L shape as not to obstruct stand view, repeat, repeat, won't cost the earth, but would def add to the attendances going forward. I don't understand why these modest improvements can't be made, and they could during a season, start the work on the Monday after a home game on a Friday if no mid week home game, that would give 9 working days to get it completed, it could be done. I think even for soccer rep highlights, it would look so much better.

I think the lack of cover from the elements in parts of the ground for bad weather nights will reduce the crowd by potentially (maybe) 500, that's a lot of money if split between away fans and non ST home fans, possibly 5k (min). However I will accept for fine evenings we also can have modest turn outs, and that's disappointing given the quality of the current squad.
Good post . I agree 100% with the last paragraph

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Hull White » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:10 pm

A decent start lads. Agree with most on here regarding Shields and Sloggett being too similar. Sloggett reminds me of Chris when he first joined. I think the lad is determined and athletic but could do with working on his first touch. I think he could be the long term replacement for Chris when he chooses to retire. I think had we had Sloggett onboard at the Cup Final we would now have an extra FAI Cup. I would like to see Flores in regularly. Smith looks like a good prospect after a steady first competitive game. I think we have a stronger squad than last year and should be in the mix for everything again. Derry came to defend and sneak something from the match, it didn't work, clean sheet and a lot of positives going forward. Very pleased so far. C'mon the Town!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:39 pm

I'd agree with that, we wore teams down in the tight games last year rather than beat them with creativity. Both Flores and Smith seem like the sort of players who could provide some of the spark we sometimes lack. Would also be good the see the old McEleney again.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:42 pm

Creativity was a missing element on Friday night.

Michael Duffy provides it along with strong penetration and goalscoring. A fit and in-form McEleney certainly gives us the X factor. Jordan Flores has given us glimpses of it and hopefully Colovic can prove to be able to give us this.

Fitness and determined is important, but it is this spark of creativity that can unlock defences in tight games
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:05 pm

Niall Newberry interview with Sean Gannon after the Derry game where he gives his views on the match and also looks forward to the visit to Shelbourne

https://soundcloud.com/niall-newberry/s ... -14th-2020
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.