2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: 2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by mike » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:31 pm

seand wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:22 am Obviously I'm gutted to see Duffy go, but the way Derry are splashing the cash it was pretty unavoidable, a bit like Finn stepping down to Rovers at his peak. The loss of Shields and the lads at the start of the season was much more problematic and I expect and fear more of the same at the end of this one. I just don't understand the medium term plan or the end game here for P6.
Been thinking since, dog walks are great for this, dfc thoughts ! Derry can't sign everyone and will soon be maxed out, fats and duffy are going home after winning multiple league and cups with us, Patching if he goes, also returning, so now many more can they take? Who else has got money in the league to offer better contracts, remember as much as p6 are a joke with their 1 (+1 year perf related deals) they are prob paying well in excess of any other club, but on the other side, can you blame a player for leaving to get say a 3 year deal, less money etc? I changed roles before from contracting to perm, reduction in $$$, same job but security, footballers are no diff.

The key question is, what will the DFC team look like in 2022, like a Bohs say from 5 years ago?

Then again best paid in history of the league (reports) are currently 8th.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:47 pm

2 weeks ago I was concerned that we might not break 40 points this season, now people tallking about needing over 40 to avoid 9th.

Recent results have shown that we are obviously capable of playing to a much higher standard than our position in the table indicates. With everybody from 2nd to 9th capable of taking points off each other, the team that puts together a winning run could, conceivably, end up third. I actually think 4th is becoming realistic for us, with Bohs third. And, just like 2020, 2 teams in the final who have already qualified for Europe.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:09 pm

oldfogey wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:47 pm 2 weeks ago I was concerned that we might not break 40 points this season, now people tallking about needing over 40 to avoid 9th.

Recent results have shown that we are obviously capable of playing to a much higher standard than our position in the table indicates. With everybody from 2nd to 9th capable of taking points off each other, the team that puts together a winning run could, conceivably, end up third. I actually think 4th is becoming realistic for us, with Bohs third. And, just like 2020, 2 teams in the final who have already qualified for Europe.
Optimism. The last weapon in our arsenal.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Towelie
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Towelie » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:13 pm

mike wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:24 pm
seand wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:04 pm Just another thought on Duffy/McEleney (and anyone else heading for Derry)..... last day of the season, Dundalk v Derry City. We might not be safe from relegation, Derry might need the win to qualify for Europe. Do you play Duffy v Derry in the hope that he'll drive Dundalk to victory and deny himself and his new team European football? Also Pats winning the cup gives Derry a better chance of Europe than Dundalk winning the cup.
That's true, but look at this another angle, if this worked out. Say we win the cup, and Bohs (if they make it) don't make top 3, and Derry do, by virtue of us winning the cup that would then remove the 4th place to get the final euro spot, as that would go to the cup winners and we could essentially 'cost' Derry a euro spot.

Actually, as long as Pats don't win the cup, this pretty much rules out 4th spot for the final euro place.
We can dare to dream, it will be a BIG ask. I've no problem with Derry signing players who are available, it's absolutely fair game but the way they've conducted themselves on social media has been petulant. The quote tweeting of our birthday message to Fats there recently was extremely small club stuff disguised as sh*thousery in order to get likes. Really unnecessary stuff.

Rapier
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Rapier » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:56 pm

mceleney and duffy have their contracts regardless of whether or not they make europe this season or not.

both have earned the benefit of the doubt with their contribution and commitment to us down the years. i would have zero worries about playing them and it'd be a pretty insulting way for us to end their tenures if we were to drop them. i don't think its even a question.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:31 pm

Heard from a very reliable source that Han is on more money than Fats. I believe it cos you couldn't make it up. No doubt shirt sales in Asia has covered it 😁😁😁

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:22 pm

mike wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:31 pm
seand wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:22 am Obviously I'm gutted to see Duffy go, but the way Derry are splashing the cash it was pretty unavoidable, a bit like Finn stepping down to Rovers at his peak. The loss of Shields and the lads at the start of the season was much more problematic and I expect and fear more of the same at the end of this one. I just don't understand the medium term plan or the end game here for P6.
Been thinking since, dog walks are great for this, dfc thoughts ! Derry can't sign everyone and will soon be maxed out, fats and duffy are going home after winning multiple league and cups with us, Patching if he goes, also returning, so now many more can they take? Who else has got money in the league to offer better contracts, remember as much as p6 are a joke with their 1 (+1 year perf related deals) they are prob paying well in excess of any other club, but on the other side, can you blame a player for leaving to get say a 3 year deal, less money etc? I changed roles before from contracting to perm, reduction in $$$, same job but security, footballers are no diff.

The key question is, what will the DFC team look like in 2022, like a Bohs say from 5 years ago?

Then again best paid in history of the league (reports) are currently 8th.
If St Pats wanted Pat Hoban they could probaly offer a decent wage. They will have European money for next season, and have a wealthy owner anyway in Gareth Kelleher. Linfield would probaly also be in the mix for Hoban.
Daniel Kelly is meant to be rejoining Bohemians in the off season.

Sam Stanton might get a move back to Scotland in Jan. McMillan, Cleary, Leahy would probaly be the players Dundalk could keep, maybe a few others.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:27 pm

Finding it a bit strange that Duffy and mceleney are doing weekly interviews with the Derry newspapers about how they can't wait to play for them again. They are Dundalk players and we have a big two months ahead.
Bit of respect lads!

The bit they are leaving out is, 'we can't wait to play for Derry again, now that you can afford our wages. If you couldn't afford us well then we can't wait to play for someone else'

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... ty-3338092

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... ty-3341592

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... ty-3400649

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... on-3403357

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... ty-3405788

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:41 pm

The frustrating part is it doesn't even seem to be able wages but our policy of not giving more than one year contracts to players over 25.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:27 pm

Hearing Pat has signed a pre contract with St Pat's.two year deal.
The yanks are not done yet!

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:47 pm

No Pat, No party.

Dummigan will probaly have a bit of interest,

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:19 pm

If I was Andy Boyle I'd be negotiating a severance!

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:33 pm

Abs heard nothing on Hoban, usually if there was a link it would be well out there by now.

As much as the madness that is p6, not everyone will love their bosses, but FFS lads, get your finger out and offer him a deal to stay !

Quayman
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Quayman » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:51 pm

Heard the same rumour about Hoban, Leahy and Dummigan also mentioned, all 2 year deals to Pats.
Neale Fenn....SCUM

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:48 pm

Heard Hoban and Leahy to Pats myself. Unfortunately nearly every rumour about a player leaving has turned out to be true
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020