2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Carrick_Road
Reserves
Reserves

Re: 2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Carrick_Road » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:54 am

southerncomfort wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:42 pm
Byrne confirmed back for rovers
Be interesting to see where Byrne, Towell and Mandriou can fit into the squad. Pressure will be on Rovers to run away with it next year

Alrightourfella
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Alrightourfella » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:07 am

Mandriou won't be at Rovers next season thats why Byrne is back.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:07 am

I think rovers have been spooked by Derrys new investment and have decided to go for broke.
With Derry already having signed Fats and Duffy, and Patching on the way, along with rumours of Cleary, McEneff and James McClean also on their radar rovers needed to make a statement.
I think next year will be Bradley's last shot at European group stage football.

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:12 am

Bradley doesn't really look past Irish signings. Byrne a quality player and was available,but if they are to do better in Europe need something different. They signed Sean Hoare a solid league of Ireland player, but wasn't going to be the answer in Europe

Carrick_Road
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Carrick_Road » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:34 am

In all fairness as we well know foreign imports isn't the answer either and is always a gamble. Byrne is tried and tested in the league and he knows what he is getting with him.

Agreed Hoare wasnt going to be the answer in Europe but he has European experience and there isnt much else out there within the league.

Lets hope they splash the cash and it doesnt work as planned as all they are missing now in my opinion is a clinical striker

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:00 am

Unfortunately I think we'll be watching the Derry-Rovers battle from afar over the next few years and we wont be involved.

My bet is that Rovers will be first to fall. I think DD will get bored of bailing them out.

TrevDaRev2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by TrevDaRev2 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:06 am

I think its the physicality of the league that foreign players struggle with. The only player thats done enough to deserve a new contract is Stanton imo, and he's come from the Scottish league which is equally as physical. Byrne is a good addition but Rovers are bloated in that department. Haven't replaced Gary Twigg really. Bradley seems wedded to only ever playing one through the middle because he wants to dominate the middle, but if they signed a proper 9 (likes of Kelly) I'd say they walk it next year even with a strengthened Derry

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:24 am

Carrick_Road wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:34 am In all fairness as we well know foreign imports isn't the answer either and is always a gamble. Byrne is tried and tested in the league and he knows what he is getting with him.

Agreed Hoare wasnt going to be the answer in Europe but he has European experience and there isnt much else out there within the league.

Lets hope they splash the cash and it doesnt work as planned as all they are missing now in my opinion is a clinical striker
Joey N'Do was a brilliant signing for Shelbourne and performed really in Europe when they on the run. But he was a different leve,l and was probaly too good for the League of Ireland.

Maybe for a striker Shamrock Rovers should be looking to Europe. What Dundalk done this year bringing in 8 or 9 foreign players at the one time, was far too much, but 1 or 2 can make a difference if was right type of player .

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:32 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:00 am Unfortunately I think we'll be watching the Derry-Rovers battle from afar over the next few years and we wont be involved.

My bet is that Rovers will be first to fall. I think DD will get bored of bailing them out.
Not that we were any different with overall high weekly wages, but I don't think we ever got to the stage (apart from 2021 on rubbish players) that huge monies were spent on 3 year deals etc on very high wages on multiple players. With Rovers, Richie T is around 3.5 a week, Burke is on 3 I think, and Sir Jack won't be joining for anything less than 5k, that's about 50k a month alone they will be spending on just 3 players, and it could be even higher.

They will need to get to Conference League group to reap monies back, and that's getting harder each season, to be fair apart from Sherif away, we were helped with one leg games (although most still were away) and Covid assisted games, the Faores side getting to the play off etc in 2020.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:38 pm

Not looking good re Cleary. He’s in the mirror today saying he wants to compete for trophies . I see that as an indication that he knows what he’s been offered won’t keep the majority of players. According to the article, Bohs are chasing him

Bob Prole
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Bob Prole » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:30 pm

Despicable Dan's email newsletter says Patching will be confirmed to Derry on Monday, Stanton wants out and will likely go back to Scotland and that "Dundalk will still be operating off a competitive budget", which maybe puts a quick end to the part time football stuff.

Dillonman
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Dillonman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:34 pm

Bob Prole wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:30 pm Despicable Dan's email newsletter says Patching will be confirmed to Derry on Monday, Stanton wants out and will likely go back to Scotland and that "Dundalk will still be operating off a competitive budget", which maybe puts a quick end to the part time football stuff.
There is no way business men will buy a club to go part time, mid table and turn into a year on year breakeven or loss making entity. We will be staying full time, regardless if the new owers are fans or not. They are going to want to recoup their investment eventually!
Drogs are scum!

Alrightourfella
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Alrightourfella » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:03 pm

To attract the top players on this island Dundalk need to be offering top dollar which for next season they can't do unless fastfix or statsports are willing to pay it out of ther own pockets, Linfield, Larne,Glentoran,Derry,Rovers even Pats are way ahead of us in that department for the time being regardless of whos backing them, we can't compete.

Bob Prole
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Bob Prole » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:19 pm

There's more to team building than just trying to outbid other clubs. The management appointment be it Vinny or whoever else is the most important thing. It's not great having owners trying to tie down existing players when the manager might still not be decided but that's the situation we were landed in.

Going by the noises and this is just guessing but Garts, Leahy, Kelly, Murray and Davy Mac seem the most likely to stay. 50:50 at the moment Murray, Sloggett and Dummigan. Stanton, Cleary, Hoban, Patching joining Fats and Duffy out the exit door.

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:48 pm

very pragmatic and understanding of you Bob( at last ) but I think your are right

It's a bizzare one but they probably know that unlike players they can tie the manager down in the weeks ahead - it's a very sought after position - and it's unlikely that their opinion on players wont massively differ to who they decide on ( personally as u know -still a vp fan can't see past him with a good assistant on a 1 or 2 year , we don't know if he has other offers / or might ask too high a spend /salary etc )

V sad to see the others you have listed go .hopfully not