2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: 2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by mike » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:04 pm

Stanton has a good CV before his US club that was cut short due to Covid, clocked impressive amount of games for Dundee Utd in his last spell in Scotland.

I think he sounds like a perfect addition for us, the attacking MF we have been looking for.

Poor old Colm Crossan, he would have loved to comment on this, he loved making the comparisons between a 6 and 8 etc. He had a serious football knowledge.

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:40 pm

I can understand a lower Premier League or one of the smaller European big league clubs taking a punt on a South Korean player because European players at that level are so expensive. But I can't understand why we need to go to the other side of the world (and all the associated crap with expenses and work permits and culture shock) to find a player good enough for League of Ireland and Europa Conference League.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:02 pm

Peak11 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:40 pm I can understand a lower Premier League or one of the smaller European big league clubs taking a punt on a South Korean player because European players at that level are so expensive. But I can't understand why we need to go to the other side of the world (and all the associated crap with expenses and work permits and culture shock) to find a player good enough for League of Ireland and Europa Conference League.
Surely you're not suggesting that Han will experience a culture shock in Oriel?
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:28 pm

Under the current circumstances, I feel sorry for all our new players. Moving to a new country (where I presume they won't know anyone) in the middle of a pandemic, with all social amenities closed. I don't know how many Koreans are living in north Louth who could help him find a sense of community but it will be hardest for him, you would think.

If my work wanted to send me anywhere abroad right now I'd be very, very slow to go. If he does sign, then he's leaving a country that has handled it one of the best. I hope he knows it's not the same in Europe.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:33 pm

Peak11 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:40 pm I can understand a lower Premier League or one of the smaller European big league clubs taking a punt on a South Korean player because European players at that level are so expensive. But I can't understand why we need to go to the other side of the world (and all the associated crap with expenses and work permits and culture shock) to find a player good enough for League of Ireland and Europa Conference League.
I'm sure the lad will do his homework before committing to us. He might see this as stepping stone to the UK. I'm sure he would have had some feedback from Son Heung-min. If he turned out to be 10% of him I'd be delighted.

I know there will be "whataboutery" referencing Colovic but I think it's very different situation. He thought he could be home in 3 or 4 hours. Even if we were covid free, no player from the Far East is going to tripping home during the season.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:12 pm

If he was to sign and do well it could raise the Profile of the Club and League in South Korea. Magilton referenced it could give exposure for Dundalk, and possible future signings from far East.
They are fanatical about football and get behind players playing abroad.

I remember Ferguson signed a Chinese forward called Dong Fangzhuo and he barely played but sold millions of Jersey in China.
Obviously this is different scale, but could be no harm to try and raise profile in these covid times.
You'd hope he can succeed as a player before anything else.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:21 pm

With the squad taking shape, possibly one or two more to come (not including the obvious second keeper), just thinking what our strongest line up would be. If we go on the basis of including those involved in the cup final still here, and that formation and those injured, maybe something like this?

.................................Abibi...............

....................Gartland.....Boyle........Cleary..........

Dummingham.......Shields....Sloggett.......Leahy/Jurkovskis

..............................McEleney......................

..........................Hoban / McMillan.........Duffy

The players listed below not necessarily rated in this order, but I'd think most of those who played in the cup final prob will have good chance retaining their places. Tough one to call between left side and up front.

McMillan will be looking to hold on to the jersey with his cup final hatrick and being the LOI player of the month Nov/Dec**, but will Hoban be fav to come back?
Then we have the current ROI u21 left back battling it out with the current Latvia left back.

12. Hoban / McMillan
13. Stanton
14. Murray
15. Kelly
16. Leahy/Jurkovskis
17. GK
18. Nattestad
19. Patching
20. Midtskogen

** Anyone interested in previous winners, see this link, plus we lead the way with 50 v 48 for Bohs. Then again we had zero from 1999 to 2010, just goes to show how long we disappeared from the main stage for, apart from the 2002 cup final win.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of ... _the_Month

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:30 pm

I don't think the Latvian player is necessarily competing with Leahy. He can play both sides.
https://www.newstalk.com/sport/dundalk- ... t%20season.

He looks more right footed on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su8HD1owsdo

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:38 pm

Fair point Richie, he def looks right footed on that, but most if not all his caps were won for Latvia as left full. Always good to have players two footed for options.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:20 pm

McEneff leaving for Hearts from Rovers (who got very decent buck for a 25 year old). Leaves midfield problems for them (losing both himself and Byrne)...

It will be some battle for Towell in the summer.....
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:41 pm

Rovers midfield looking very light now. They'll be relying on an ageing finn and McCann, Dylan Watts and a moody Mandriou.

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:04 pm

Lot of frauds in that Rovers side that were being carried by Byrne, McEneff and Lopes to a lesser degree. Now two are gone.

It’s six years since Towell stomped all over LOI. He’s had a couple of bad injuries and is 30 this summer. If he can’t make first choice in a mid table League 2 side, I wouldn’t worry too much if we didn’t get him. Still think it’s a manufactured rumour.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:31 pm

A blow for Shamrock Rovers but they are receiving a decent fee. McEneff would have been on a decent contract, so they were entitled to a good fee
They sold Burke to Preston for 350k a few years ago.

Hearts a decent move for him. They are top of the championship and likely to make a swift return to Pl.
They would be one of the biggest Clubs in Scotland after the Old firm clubs.

Weelilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Weelilywhite » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:20 pm

I wonder is the fact that Hearts are paying 200K for a LOI player in any way due to the way Mc Grath is playing at present. Must make Scottish clubs look at LOI for potential recruits.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:49 pm

Big loss to Rovers , with Jack gone aswell. We will take some stopping next season . Bring it on .