2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:03 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:12 am
Carrick_Road wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:57 am
Appears to be decent. Can play both sides which is a plus. What will this mean for Leahy, who IMO should be in the XI weekly.

Cant be a bad thing as it will make Leahy and Dummigan raise their game.

An exciting No.8 now please.
Not for one second am I knocking a new arrival that we haven't even seen play yet, Only fear I have is he sounds unbelievable on paper, so why is he here? And why did his club let his contract run down. Full internationals get tf'd for money and his pedigree you would expect to be in the championship or spl, so how have we him on a freebie? Is this another chevdukas?
Why is he here? I'd imagine it is as we are paying a wage that is better than he can get elsewhere. Allowing his contract run down is probably the same as players in Ireland do, to put them in a better negotiating position at both their own club or at another club.

We don't know what the club are paying in wages, the reportable wages for Colovic were massive, even half that should be enough to sign a high enough standard of player. You also have to factor in Covid as this is having a huge impact on a lot of clubs. We seem to be weathering it ok due to our owners deep pockets and the nature of their primary business.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:02 pm

Looks like another good signing on paper. Will be interesting to see if they all click on the pitch and adapt to LOI, culture and Irish weather. Is it just me or are all our signings or known targets so far very tall??

shep
Reserves
Reserves

Post by shep » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:07 pm

Looks a good signing. Between the recent re signed players,the appointment of Stephen as Academy manager and some interesting players linked,I think it’s time some of the doom and gloom merchants at least acknowledge the fact that the club seems to be going about their business in a very assured manner since Jim Magilton has come in. I feel we are in a very good place to have a great go at taking our title back. I feel Rovers are weaker at the minute than they were last season.

Also they only announced loads of re signed players this week,I didn’t hear the panic or clamour from their fans about letting contracts run down and players not tied down before now.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:27 pm

shep wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:07 pm
Looks a good signing. Between the recent re signed players,the appointment of Stephen as Academy manager and some interesting players linked,I think it’s time some of the doom and gloom merchants at least acknowledge the fact that the club seems to be going about their business in a very assured manner since Jim Magilton has come in. I feel we are in a very good place to have a great go at taking our title back. I feel Rovers are weaker at the minute than they were last season.

Also they only announced loads of re signed players this week,I didn’t hear the panic or clamour from their fans about letting contracts run down and players not tied down before now.
Magilton has definitely brought a degree of professionalism that has been missing for the last year or so. Hopefully Wild Bill leaves him alone to do his job and maybe we can have a season of good news stories coming out of Oriel next season!!

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:27 pm

Dane Massey confirmed at Drawda. One can only wish him all the best, regardless of him moving up the road. Professional departure, took time to say goodbye to the fans publically, received his goodbye from the club and I would feel every Dundalk fan will wish him well. He might even get an auld clap from the Shed upon his return. First class professional who I would welcome back to the club in another capacity in the future.

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:12 pm

colymull wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:27 pm
shep wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:07 pm

Magilton has definitely brought a degree of professionalism that has been missing for the last year or so. Hopefully Wild Bill leaves him alone to do his job and maybe we can have a season of good news stories coming out of Oriel next season!!
All Jim has to do is not arrange any foreign friendlies to clash with league matches in the middle of a pandemic or not try moving our home games out of the jurisdiction and he’ll have run our club better in 2021 than the owners did in 2020.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:17 pm

The new Latvian player has a lot of appearances for his previous club and started 5 out of 6 of Latvia’s 2020 Nation League matches. Can’t complain about that aspect...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:27 pm
Dane Massey confirmed at Drawda. One can only wish him all the best, regardless of him moving up the road. Professional departure, took time to say goodbye to the fans publically, received his goodbye from the club and I would feel every Dundalk fan will wish him well. He might even get an auld clap from the Shed upon his return. First class professional who I would welcome back to the club in another capacity in the future.
I was already thinking the fixture fairy would give us Drogheda as opening fixture of the season, but I think it's a banker now. Sharp bit of work by Clancy as Dane's experience would be invaluable in trying to stay up. He can also play centre half.

Up against Daniel Kelly. Mmmmmmm.....

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:19 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:02 pm
Looks like another good signing on paper. Will be interesting to see if they all click on the pitch and adapt to LOI, culture and Irish weather. Is it just me or are all our signings or known targets so far very tall??
I wondered about the height too and I really look forward to the 6'4" striker
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:20 pm

oldfogey wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:00 pm
Pepsi wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:27 pm
I was already thinking the fixture fairy would give us Drogheda as opening fixture of the season, but I think it's a banker now. Sharp bit of work by Clancy as Dane's experience would be invaluable in trying to stay up. He can also play centre half.

Up against Daniel Kelly. Mmmmmmm.....
You may be right regarding the fixtures, however unfortunately not one of us will be in to see it in the flesh.

Quayman
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Quayman » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:25 pm

seand wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:57 am
It's certainly the end of an era with Gannon, Mountney, Masssey and Rogers gone (and 40+ senior medals between). Shields and Gartland the last of the old guard now.
Surely Boyle would be classified as an old guard in some capacity!!
Neale Fenn....SCUM

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:35 pm

I think Jurkovskis looks a very good signing, this guy is no mug if he has 13 caps, and currently first choice with Latvia.

Has to be our first 'current' international since Mick Fairclough in 1982, I know Chevedukas was 'an international' but I don't think he played while with us?

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:06 pm

Quayman wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:25 pm
seand wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:57 am
It's certainly the end of an era with Gannon, Mountney, Masssey and Rogers gone (and 40+ senior medals between). Shields and Gartland the last of the old guard now.
Surely Boyle would be classified as an old guard in some capacity!!
Ah yes, of course. I was thinking in terms of who's been there uninterrupted but of course Boyle is properly old guard!

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:08 pm

mike wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:35 pm
I think Jurkovskis looks a very good signing, this guy is no mug if he has 13 caps, and currently first choice with Latvia.

Has to be our first 'current' international since Mick Fairclough in 1982, I know Chevedukas was 'an international' but I don't think he played while with us?
Chevdukas was capped before and after us, but not at Dundalk. We've neverhad a player capped for another country (even NI) when at Dundalk. Looks like the Latvian lad is likely to be a regular for Latvia, which means he'll be missing for week several times a season.

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:42 am

Latvia have 10 World Cup qualifiers this year - 3 end of March, 3 first week September, 2 second week October, and 2 mid November. You have to release the player three days before the day of the first match.

So if the league starts on 19th as currently planned he’ll be available for the first match then miss 1-2.

He’ll miss 2 matches probably the first week of September, and probably another 2 second week of October, and 1-2 in mid November, which is when the league is provisionally supposed to finish.

The Faroes also have 10 matches, same schedule. So if we sign the centre half and he’s called up we can request postponements, though given we’re already going to be under fixture pressure that would seem impractical.