2021 season General thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by oldfogey » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:41 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:40 pm James Talbot called up to the Ireland squad. The club really messed up not signing either him or McGinty as we would be comfortable enough in the European spots right now
And their fixture against Derry postponed as a result. Ourselves and Rovers have two games in hand over the default number which is Round 25. Bohs are another game further back and will go 4 adrift after this weekend. One of those is against ourselves, and will obviously get rearranged to suit Bohs rather than us.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:20 am

From sifting through the leaks this morning, it looks like outdoor sporting events to be allowed to go to 75% capacity from 6th September. What that means for Oriel i'm not sure as people have pointed out the difference between seating capacity and actual capacity.

Even with 75% of the seating capacity, we could be looking at a return to 2,000+ fans (if the demand is there!)

With a full lifting of restrictions in October, Oriel could see a full house for the relegation playoff :)

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:00 am

What's with the negative waves dfc1903, how many tickets will we get for the cup final??? 😉

It'd be brilliant to get back to Oriel regularly even if it was only for a few games towards the end of the season. Match going is a massive part of many people's lives and it has been a tough year and a year being away regardless of what was happening on the pitch or behind the scenes.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:08 am

Louth4sam wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:00 am What's with the negative waves dfc1903, how many tickets will we get for the cup final??? 😉

It'd be brilliant to get back to Oriel regularly even if it was only for a few games towards the end of the season. Match going is a massive part of many people's lives and it has been a tough year and a year being away regardless of what was happening on the pitch or behind the scenes.
Ha was only joking (I think!) .

Yes, it would be a great year to get to the cup final. Could attract a huge crowd with people craving a large event!

DanielSexton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DanielSexton » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:12 am

We have six home league games left I think so it might be a good idea for the club to make a 6-match ticket package available for a third of the season ticket price or something? Might help ensure decent attendance.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:44 pm

DanielSexton wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:12 am We have six home league games left I think so it might be a good idea for the club to make a 6-match ticket package available for a third of the season ticket price or something? Might help ensure decent attendance.
Are we likely to have increased capacity at these games? As it stands I think we have about 700 ST holders, we've not had a game with capacity to cover all ST holders yet

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:28 pm

seand wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:44 pm
DanielSexton wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:12 am We have six home league games left I think so it might be a good idea for the club to make a 6-match ticket package available for a third of the season ticket price or something? Might help ensure decent attendance.
Are we likely to have increased capacity at these games? As it stands I think we have about 700 ST holders, we've not had a game with capacity to cover all ST holders yet
Unofficially the capacity of oriel is 4.5k with 3k seats so 75% of that capacity of 3000 is 2250. Even a 50% capacity of 1500 would be more than sufficient for this season, considering we struggled to sell the 1500 for the vitesse match albeit that the travel factor to tallaght appeared to be an issue for some fans. Bear in mind that the 75% outdoor capacity is for vaccinated people. So how will that fare out for children u12 etc who can't get the vaccine until they are at least 12 years of age?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:37 pm

The new limits will apply from next Monday. Seems to be based on seats. Up to the club now if they want to go with 50% capacity or if they're going to check everyone for a vaccine cert on entry to get 75%. The vaccination check won't apply to kids same as restaurants and they'll be let in fine accompanied by a vaccinated adult.

I don't think you can compare the Vitesse game to games in Oriel at all but it's true there's a growing apathy problem which is likely to impact attendances.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:52 pm

Bob Prole wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:37 pm The new limits will apply from next Monday. Seems to be based on seats. Up to the club now if they want to go with 50% capacity or if they're going to check everyone for a vaccine cert on entry to get 75%. The vaccination check won't apply to kids same as restaurants and they'll be let in fine accompanied by a vaccinated adult.

I don't think you can compare the Vitesse game to games in Oriel at all but it's true there's a growing apathy problem which is likely to impact attendances.
Well there's plenty of time to work it out. Looks as if we have no home fixture until Friday 24 September v Sligo Rovers.

TrevDaRev2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by TrevDaRev2 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:23 am

I see Niall Newbury has an interview on the back of the democrat with Vinny, seems to indicate that Peak 6 have changed their mind and have no plans to sell. Dunno if thats a good or bad thing tbh, think I'd rather someone just ripped the plaster off now before we assemble a squad of journey for next season and get relegated. Thats assuming we dont this season. They literally couldnt have done a worse job if they tried. Really worry about attendances between now and the end of the season too. Think we'll really struggle to sell out on a reduced capacity, lucky to clear 1000 in the last couple of league games id say

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:43 am

Try a bit of positivity Trev , negativity & worrying are bad for your health . Imagine you are manager of a football team , at any level , give me an example of things you might say to the team , before a game. Don’t say things , like Worry , or relegation etc. The lads might not perform . Try to make encouraging comments.

TrevDaRev2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by TrevDaRev2 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:29 am

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:43 am Try a bit of positivity Trev , negativity & worrying are bad for your health . Imagine you are manager of a football team , at any level , give me an example of things you might say to the team , before a game. Don’t say things , like Worry , or relegation etc. The lads might not perform . Try to make encouraging comments.
I've tried positivity for months now but unfortunately the reality just wont go away Johnny

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:34 am

Hang in there Trev , it’s time to battle , in every game .

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:51 am

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:23 am I see Niall Newbury has an interview on the back of the democrat with Vinny, seems to indicate that Peak 6 have changed their mind and have no plans to sell. Dunno if thats a good or bad thing tbh, think I'd rather someone just ripped the plaster off now before we assemble a squad of journey for next season and get relegated. Thats assuming we dont this season. They literally couldnt have done a worse job if they tried. Really worry about attendances between now and the end of the season too. Think we'll really struggle to sell out on a reduced capacity, lucky to clear 1000 in the last couple of league games id say
Trying to take a stab at what's going on my guess is that Bill never wanted to sell cos he likes his toy but Matt has no interest in us, saw his old man getting rinsed by agents and wanted to cut us loose. So them staying or going depends on whether or not Matt sees a reason for keeping us. That might be why Mike Treacy has got involved. If they stay at least we know we won't go bust but hard to see what any other benefits are when they've caused the club to collapse into the state it's in. Loads of people last year assumed hiring a Sporting Director would mean Bill backing off and that didn't happen so it's hard to take Vinny seriously when he tries making out they're great lads altogether.

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:26 pm

That was awful from Ireland. Kenny will do well to get a new deal, but maybe as its a young team they will give him time.