2021 season General thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Bob Prole » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:34 pm

Jim Magilton signed a four year deal and no one even remembers he exists never mind expects to see him in Oriel in December 2024.

This news when it’s official needs to be backed up with a proper strategy for the future beyond the old man’s plaything and Matty’s nomoneyball or any two year deal is just next year’s pay off.

tip on
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by tip on » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:49 am

VP has done nothing to earn a new contract. The team are not playing well and he persists with playing a keeper who is abysmal. He seems incapable of motivating the players on the pitch and is slow to make tactical changes.

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:08 am

tip on wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:49 am VP has done nothing to earn a new contract. The team are not playing well and he persists with playing a keeper who is abysmal. He seems incapable of motivating the players on the pitch and is slow to make tactical changes.
Squad decimated by incompetent football decisions before he arrived, he has no bench to make big tactic changes . Now we’re the team that everyone raises their game for , while we’re also the team struggling with a manager playing players he didn’t bring in. Another lazy spin of the wheel on some saviour , would be like one of those Hail Mary substitutions that fans with no foot ball knowledge call for .
We need stability , pedigree, not fancy long shot nonsense . Tie him and a few players down ASAP. A good calculated risk

tip on
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by tip on » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:23 am

southerncomfort wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:08 am
tip on wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:49 am VP has done nothing to earn a new contract. The team are not playing well and he persists with playing a keeper who is abysmal. He seems incapable of motivating the players on the pitch and is slow to make tactical changes.
Squad decimated by incompetent football decisions before he arrived, he has no bench to make big tactic changes . Now we’re the team that everyone raises their game for , while we’re also the team struggling with a manager playing players he didn’t bring in. Another lazy spin of the wheel on some saviour , would be like one of those Hail Mary substitutions that fans with no foot ball knowledge call for .
We need stability , pedigree, not fancy long shot nonsense . Tie him and a few players down ASAP. A good calculated risk
He was sacked last season because he couldn't manage a much better squad.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:37 am

tip on wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:23 am
Do you think things would have been worse if VP was not sacked? Was given more time and another transfer window? Do you think FG was an upgrade on VP? serious question

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:15 pm

He shouldn’t have been sacked in the first place and had he been working under a normally functioning board and chairman my personal feeling is we’d be challenging for the title this season. Also if he left again now who would trust those idiots to get the next appointment right?

But since he came back he’s spent every interview whinging and gaslighting fans. Trying to tell us how wonderfully supportive the owners are and that the club is going in the right direction is some serious horseshit. And now results are every bit as bad as under Filippo and Jim. So any credit he had in the bank is running out.

Right now I don’t think it matters too much who the manager is while the club is being run the way it is.

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:45 pm

magarnagle wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:37 am
tip on wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:23 am
Do you think things would have been worse if VP was not sacked? Was given more time and another transfer window? Do you think FG was an upgrade on VP? serious question
FG was a place holder , managing a league winning great squad that was already put together - they were in the mist of a rough patch when he came in - and things smoothed out some what. vp has arrived at a team in turmoil - most of whom he would have told the owners not to sign. Comparing the two is a nonsense , but if you did - the manager who won the double the year before - and set up the squad that went on to europa success … vp wins hands down .

when you think of it - sacking him without a proper plan to replace him was the worst decision in our history . Maybe they l ow that and when they move him ok again - they’ll ensure a proper structured replacement

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:49 am

Derry tied Ronan Boyce down to 3 1/2 year deal https://t.co/SD0gsltR0s?amp=1

Their owner Philip O’Doherty, who just sold his company E&I engineering for $2bn says Derry City’s budget will be increased. Hopeful of Europe this year & challenging for the League next year.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ArFella » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:55 am

I wonder if they will make a serious move for Duffy too, if they get European football, have decent money and Duffy doesn't have any options in the UK he likes then it would probably make sense for him to move home to an improving team.
Mon the Town!

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:57 pm

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/lout ... gn=seeding

Anybody got a premium subscription?? 😆

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:57 pm

PS sport tracking giant STATSports has been linked with a sensational takeover of Dundalk Football Club.

The locally-owned sport software firm is believed to be interested in buying the Oriel Park club from current owner, Peak6, who have confirmed that they would be prepared to sell up – but only if the price is right.

In what has been a difficult season on and off the pitch for Dundalk, there has been persistent speculation that the US investment firm would relinquish their interest in the club at the end of this year.

To date the owners have neither confirmed nor denied those rumours, but with other potential buyers believed to be interested, their continued commitment to Irish football could be severely tested.STATSports, which is the world leader in GPS sport tracking, was founded just over a decade ago by Alan Clarke and Sean O’Connor, both of whom hail from the Dundalk area and would have lined out for the club at underage level.

The company has experienced meteoric growth and counts Liverpool, Paris St Geramain and most of the top Football Associations in world football among its impressive client list.

While still privately owned, the company has recently taken on sizable investment from Premier League stars, Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, Harry Maguire and Harry Kane, among others.

When contacted by The Argus, STATSports General Manager Paul Johnston declined to comment directly on the speculation, but did say:

“The first thing to say is that Dundalk FC are clients of ours, so we already work very closely with them on the football side of things, doing the stats and analysis for the first team obviously, but also for the academy teams. So there’s a very strong link there already.

“For Sean and Alan, it will always be their hometown club, and I spent time working in Oriel myself, so even though we (STATSports) are based in Newry now, there will always be that connection. So the club is obviously very close to the boys’ hearts.”If the takeover comes to pass, it would likely be seen as a positive move by the majority of Dundalk fans, some of whom took part in a protest earlier this year calling for Peak6 to sell up.

Early in the season banners were erected at several home games calling on club chairman Bill Hulsizer, father of Peak6 owner Matt Hulsizer, to step down.

However, speaking from Florida on Thursday, Hulsizer senior said Peak6 would only sell if the price, and conditions, were right.

“Would we sell the club? I said it a year ago, if it makes sense then we're investors, of course we would sell it.”

“You asked me this question a year ago and I told you other than my dogs everything that I own is for sale and I truly believe that everything in the world is for sale.

“If somebody makes you an offer you have to consider it. I'll give you a ridiculous example; if the owner of Leeds United called us and said do you want to trade clubs with us, I think we would do a deal in a heartbeat. If some guy says I've got 12 cents and I want to own the club then we wouldn't sell it because he doesn't have the wherewithal to run it. So if we sell it, it's because we're investors and it's a positive sale.Lots of people have asked me would we sell and I've told them the same thing that I've told you but you have to remember there's a social responsibility. Are we looking to dump it and sell it for its pieces? No we are not. Are we looking to pack up our tent and sneak off in the middle of the night with all the soccer balls? No we are not.

“We're not going to give it away for nothing. The club exists for the pleasure of Dundalk. I can't promise you we'll win the league every year, I can't promise you that we'll go to Europe every year. All I can do is get the best people to try to do that,” he added.

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:08 pm

perth commentating for newwstalk / the Leeds match.

on one hand , maybe he shouldn’t be and should be in the training ground .

on the other hand - it’s clear he knows his stuff - and while the anti vp heads ( some are in the media themselves and don’t like the competition ! ) have every justification to have the knives out

unless we have a top class replacement - the rebuild should include him - And he should be allowed to bring in a backroom staff

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:14 pm

southerncomfort wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:08 pm perth commentating for newwstalk / the Leeds match.

on the other hand - it’s clear he knows his stuff - and while the anti vp heads ( some are in the media themselves and don’t like the competition ! ) have every justification to have the knives out

unless we have a top class replacement - the rebuild should include him - And he should be allowed to bring in a backroom staff
Perth has had his chance now and hasn't taken it. He has done absolutely nothing to earn a contract for next season. He never should have come back to this shit show and he has tarnished his reputation. I honestly believe he is a good manager and but for Hulsizer sticking his beak in we would be challenging for the league now.

However, he has to take responsibility for what is happening on the pitch. Perth claimed the club were backing him and everything was good behind the scenes. He is either dishonest or isn't up for the job at the moment. Either way I think we need to go a different direction next season.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:07 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:14 pm
southerncomfort wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:08 pm perth commentating for newwstalk / the Leeds match.

Perth has had his chance now and hasn't taken it. He has done absolutely nothing to earn a contract for next season. He never should have come back to this shit show and he has tarnished his reputation. I honestly believe he is a good manager and but for Hulsizer sticking his beak in we would be challenging for the league now.

However, he has to take responsibility for what is happening on the pitch. Perth claimed the club were backing him and everything was good behind the scenes. He is either dishonest or isn't up for the job at the moment. Either way I think we need to go a different direction next season.
I agree with you to a point. Firstly he is hardly gonna come out and say the club is fuxked from top to bottom. Nobody else wanted it so here I am again. Or that Bill hasnt a clue and has destroyed the foundations Kenny built from scratch. It would be totally unprofessional of Vinny to state any of this and also grounds for a 2nd P45.
In relation to what is happening on the pitch the players simply look disinterested and not up to it. Very hard to come in and change a mindset so entrenched in a side. And bar Sami and Yates (who aren't up to it either imho) , he didnt sign the majority of these players, and if he was here next season would resign very few of them. So it is hard to blame him for this mess. Priority is to stop leaking goals and losing games. Equally he offers very little guidance or motivation from the bench. For the most expensive squad ever assembled we are down to bare bones, of the 7 subs last night you knew there was nothing coming off the bench if required and of the 7, 2 were keepers. Do I think Vinny is the right man? No. But of all those to blame for this fiasco and shit show, Vinny is firmly at the bottom of the list. Equally at least Vinny knows what it takes to win the league here, and has a passion for the club that some foreign import won't. Can anyone name a suitable replacement crazy enough to take this farce on? The next managerial decision is even more important than the signing of an entirely new squad next season. To be honest the players should have enough pride to pay the tickets for every fan who went to Longford. They deserved better than they got for their time and money supporting the side yesterday. Also while you make your own luck, we are having none in front of either goal. But that is the reality of most clubs in a relegation battle, the luck deserts them when they need it most. If Pats hadn't hit the post in 2002 we would have stayed up! We should have been home and hosed before Longford scored last night, we weren't and got punished for it. If we had signed Talbot for example we would easily have a further 20 odd points and be in European position. We need as many fans at games now, supporting not abusing the players til the end of the season. Boo at end of game if you feel the need, but I'd rather support them..
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:50 am

Louth4sam wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:14 pm

What direction do you think we should go? You say above that Perth would have us challenging for the league if not for Bill, would this not be the case for any manager that comes in though? If Bill is interfering when Perth is there, he is going to do the same for the next guy.

No doubt the results and performances in the league have been abysmal but if any manager is not given control to bring in his own players and people then what is the point? This isn't me advocating to keep VP but genuinely if we don't keep him who are we going to get? FG Mark II?