2021 season General thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:38 pm

Bob Prole wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:03 pm Is any club not going to announce a significant loss for 2020? Except us possibly!

“You broke SCP” the year all the fans were banned from the grounds is not going to be a thing.

Luckily we’re well positioned to take advantage of Rovers being broke with an old squad.
Well you've either missed the point or purposely deflecting.

Rovers' financial situation is big news in the LOI. It hasn't got a mention other than the article in the Irish Times. Nothing. No podcast or any of the regular LOI reporters have picked up on it. Surely it deserves scrutiny?

Our own position to take advantage is completely irrelevant on whether its newsworthy or not.
Last edited by dundalkfc1903 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:40 pm

The point is Dan McDonnell hasn’t talked about it? And if they were our figures he would? I was kind of saying it doesn’t seem like a big deal in context but maybe it is..

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:42 pm

Bob Prole wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:40 pm The point is Dan McDonnell hasn’t talked about it? I was kind of saying it doesn’t seem like a big deal but maybe it is..
Maybe you need to read the full article.

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:59 pm

I did when you linked it. All I was doing was letting people know there’s going to be a piece about refereeing in tomorrow’s Independent by the guy who got slagged off for not talking about refs so I don’t know why we ended up talking about Shamrock Rovers now.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Fair enough. I'll call him Selective Dan rather than Big Bad Dan.

Referees way down the list of biggest issues in the league...but easy fodder. And Dan likes the easy stuff.

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:09 pm

I follow that Chippie1974 accounts guy, Bohs fan. He says the real loss is 900,000, which seems not far off lost income for 15 home league games plus two euro games because of Covid to me.

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:51 pm

Aaron Lawless's name was gone from the Club Directory in the programme.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:45 pm

The management and coaching staff have gotten a lot of stick with regard to the team’s fitness. Yet seeing Hoban and Murray among others closing down like demons and chasing everything shouldn’t be overlooked . We finished by far the stronger last night and ended up scoring with the last kick of the game.
A 3rd game in 6 days on Monday will be tough on any team but regardless, the management and fitness team deserve praise for the way the team finished against Sligo

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:54 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:45 pm The management and coaching staff have gotten a lot of stick with regard to the team’s fitness. Yet seeing Hoban and Murray among others closing down like demons and chasing everything shouldn’t be overlooked . We finished by far the stronger last night and ended up scoring with the last kick of the game.
A 3rd game in 6 days on Monday will be tough on any team but regardless, the management and fitness team deserve praise for the way the team finished against Sligo
Extra time against Harps also we found another gear and only looked like one winner. Under Kenny we always finished the season strong, hopefully that will continue and we avoid the playoff and have a good stab at winning the cup.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:23 pm

We were also fitter against Vitesse and looked like only one winner that night only to gas out in every match for the next six weeks. Maybe when we string a few wins together like we strung a rake of defeats together we can say one way or the other.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:43 pm

As long as Abibi and Sonni stay as far away from starting games as much as possible, we will have a great chance of finishing well clear of the play off and retaining the cup.

Most games these two have played we had effectively a 9 man team.

Massive credit to the others in the squad though, and in no particular order, Hoban, Murray, Slogget, Cherrie, Leahy, Patching, and young Mayota, + others, all giving huge performances last 3 games.

+ Duffy of course !
Last edited by mike on Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alrightourfella
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Alrightourfella » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:43 pm

All players should be fit and are fit, why show great levels of fitness v Vitesse and then blow up for 6 weeks its because the lack of hunger desire and the will to win with some that lack ability, i think harps part timers got tired which looked like we went up another gear although we have improved over the last few games we are not pulling up any trees, we are still in the relegation zone its mad even saying that after the years of success, the lge should be our focus now and staying up going down is unthinkable we had 3 games in hand on Waterford now its only one we can't afford to lose any more games.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:15 am

Came across a tweet from Derry last night advising fans that they have NO allocation for their trip to Tallaght on Friday. Subsequent posts - including some from irate ROVERS fans - seemed to indicate that no-one agrees with this and that there has been a bit of tit for tat going on in recent weeks. We have never banned any supporters as far as I know, although there have been enough incidents in the past to justify it. Personally I would rather beat them in front of their fans.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:35 am

oldfogey wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:15 am Came across a tweet from Derry last night advising fans that they have NO allocation for their trip to Tallaght on Friday. Subsequent posts - including some from irate ROVERS fans - seemed to indicate that no-one agrees with this and that there has been a bit of tit for tat going on in recent weeks. We have never banned any supporters as far as I know, although there have been enough incidents in the past to justify it. Personally I would rather beat them in front of their fans.
Wouldn't it be ironic, if the game rvs are due to win the title is away from home, and the home club gives rovers no tickets... Karma...
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:59 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:35 am
oldfogey wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:15 am Came across a tweet from Derry last night advising fans that they have NO allocation for their trip to Tallaght on Friday. Subsequent posts - including some from irate ROVERS fans - seemed to indicate that no-one agrees with this and that there has been a bit of tit for tat going on in recent weeks. We have never banned any supporters as far as I know, although there have been enough incidents in the past to justify it. Personally I would rather beat them in front of their fans.
Wouldn't it be ironic, if the game rvs are due to win the title is away from home, and the home club gives rovers no tickets... Karma...
Unfortunately it's unlikely to happen. Rovers only need 16 points to be sure, and that's assuming Pat's can keep pace. With the exception of Dundalk, none of their scheduled games are box office for RTE. I expect the back fixture against Bohs will get slotted in to make it a bit tasty. Not sure when that's going to happen as Bohs will postpone a game in the next international window (per Keith Long). If Pats crumble it could come sooner rather than later though. Rovers games are

(H) Derry
(A) Dundalk
(H) Sligo
(A) Longford
(H) Finn Harps
(A) Waterford

Edit. And as I post, our game against Rovers is called by RTE2.