2021 season General thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Pepsi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:57 pm

Couldnt give a shite about what they got...that is the past. What are the FAI suggesting for the coming season??? How can any club seriously budget for next season when their is no official government support approved, no start date......

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:58 pm

Pepsi wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:57 pm Couldnt give a shite about what they got...that is the past. What are the FAI suggesting for the coming season??? How can any club seriously budget for next season when their is no official government support approved, no start date......
When are the budgets due for submission? Only the 4 European clubs can realistically submit any sort of budget in the current climate.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:36 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:58 pm
Pepsi wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:57 pm Couldnt give a shite about what they got...that is the past. What are the FAI suggesting for the coming season??? How can any club seriously budget for next season when their is no official government support approved, no start date......
When are the budgets due for submission? Only the 4 European clubs can realistically submit any sort of budget in the current climate.
Doubt the FAI can answer the question about budget submissions......sure they dont know if there will be government funding, if they will have a league sponsor.......how can they ask clubs to budget. At the moment clubs are planning for the unknown with the unknown.

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:55 pm

Niall, the licence application including financial and non-financial information was supposed to be submitted by the 20th November. If an extension of that date was granted it was never reported. The Club Licensing Officers (we don't have one, btw, which is another little whoopsie from the owners that Jim is scrambling to sort out) will presumably have submitted applications based on a 'normal' season, as the manual that they were issued for 2021 was the same one that has been issued since 2018 and makes no reference to Covid, closed grounds etc.

Audited accounts are due on 18th January, decision regarding issuing of licenses is due on 3rd February. We have until 31st March to have everything submitted in order to be granted a UEFA licence for competing in the summer.

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:10 pm

Wonder who's getting what squad numbers for the new season? Yes I'm bored at work. Number 2 is right back so Dummigan? Or will he keep 23 because he plays left and right? Boyle will take number 4, presumably. Will Sloggett take number 6 or will it be Sonni Nattestad or even Dan Cleary? Will Murray take number 8? Would kind of like to see a first choice 11 be numbers 1-11 for a change.

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:04 am

(non) update on the start of the season:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.4458709?

Confirms that PD clubs all got €190K and all except Derry continue to avail of the wage subsidy scheme. That's due to end in March but it seems a no brainer that it will be extended for as long as lockdowns remain in place. Clubs are chancing their arm claiming they should get €600K on top of the wage subsidy for this season. That's more money than any club not in Europe would get in a normal year. Fairly obvious where that kind of money would go.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:00 am

Even as they go through the league’s licensing procedure various clubs admit to still being completely uncertain with regard to key elements of their budget for the coming year and Stephen McGuinness of the PFAI suggests that some will have had to take “a complete stab in the dark,” when estimating income to the association.

As things stand, no sponsor has been announced for the coming season, which is due to start on March 19th, clubs have not been told whether they can expect any funds from broadcast or streaming rights, commercial revenues have been hit and there is no indication how much the FAI might secure from the Government.

“I think the FAI did a good job to get the league finished last year,” says Shamrock Rovers chairman, Jonathan Roche
That just about highlights the shitshow surrounding the LOI. And the icing on the cake....the Chairman who voted against the rest speaks out praising the FAI.

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Post by McNultys Discopants » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Peak11 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:10 pm Wonder who's getting what squad numbers for the new season? Yes I'm bored at work. Number 2 is right back so Dummigan? Or will he keep 23 because he plays left and right? Boyle will take number 4, presumably. Will Sloggett take number 6 or will it be Sonni Nattestad or even Dan Cleary? Will Murray take number 8? Would kind of like to see a first choice 11 be numbers 1-11 for a change.
Jaysus you've little to be at. Couldn't give a fcuk what number is on a players back, more concerned over the quality of player in the shirt.

Too much time on your hands, could be time to look for different career.
Liam Carroll is a piece of shit. A fcuking leech.

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:01 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 pm
Peak11 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:10 pm Wonder who's getting what squad numbers for the new season? Yes I'm bored at work. Number 2 is right back so Dummigan? Or will he keep 23 because he plays left and right? Boyle will take number 4, presumably. Will Sloggett take number 6 or will it be Sonni Nattestad or even Dan Cleary? Will Murray take number 8? Would kind of like to see a first choice 11 be numbers 1-11 for a change.
Jaysus you've little to be at. Couldn't give a fcuk what number is on a players back, more concerned over the quality of player in the shirt.

Well I’ll explain! Normally you do your bit and chat to the other people and so on, but we have to work in isolation cos there’s a pandemic on. So because you’re on your own for 12 hours of a night shift you have to keep your mind occupied during the quiet bits. And sometimes that’s thinking about the state of 21st century liberal democracy and sometimes that’s thinking about squad numbers.

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Post by McNultys Discopants » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Peak11 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:01 pm
McNultys Discopants wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Well I’ll explain! Normally you do your bit and chat to the other people and so on, but we have to work in isolation cos there’s a pandemic on. So because you’re on your own for 12 hours of a night shift you have to keep your mind occupied during the quiet bits. And sometimes that’s thinking about the state of 21st century liberal democracy and sometimes that’s thinking about squad numbers.

Fair enough.

Still little to be at!

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 pm

It’s 12 hours man. I’m not a machine. I even stop to take a dump.

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Post by McNultys Discopants » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:02 pm

Peak11 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 pm It’s 12 hours man. I’m not a machine. I even stop to take a dump.
Just make sure you clock out, you're not getting paid for that shit. 🙂

2021 season....could honestly see it getting pushed back to April or May and being another 18 game farce.

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by bigalan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:25 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:02 pm
Peak11 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 pm It’s 12 hours man. I’m not a machine. I even stop to take a dump.

2021 season....could honestly see it getting pushed back to April or May and being another 18 game farce.
I think it will be at least April before we see any competitive football. Hopefully, as you say, the 18 match farce, will not be repeated

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:07 pm

A lot can change. They messed up Christmas so badly that maybe we really will squash the numbers in the next 8 weeks. The rugger thing is still going so no reason we can’t start? Numbers in the summer should be low enough too. Might have to cancel the league cup again. We should push for 36 matches and go into December if needs be.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:08 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:02 pm

Makes a bit of a mockery of it if that was the case.

Starting in May gives a bare 2 months before the ECL qualifiers start (8th July). Rounds are Home/Away for 8 consecutive weeks before a break to set up the groups. A two round league means any lost ground is extremely hard to make up. Do you prioritise the league or the Group Stages? Even in a 27 game league, you will be past half way by the time the playoff round comes along, leaving it too late to refocus on the title if you are behind the league leaders and have fallen at the final hurdle. I think that - as in previous years - we are geared towards a long season on multiple fronts, so I would stick with the league if it was cut short. Of course if we turn out to be the strongest side and overturn Rovers & Bohs early on, it would be difficult to not have a crack at Europe.