2021 season General thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Post Reply
User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6976
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:17 pm

Epl chiefs don't expect fans to return in the current season. And only expect fans to return at some stage of the 2021-2022 season which would mean August at the earliest. Not good for our expectations for LOI fans returning this season.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2146
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by oldfogey » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:00 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:17 pm Epl chiefs don't expect fans to return in the current season. And only expect fans to return at some stage of the 2021-2022 season which would mean August at the earliest. Not good for our expectations for LOI fans returning this season.
Realistically it's impossible to guess where we will be at Easter, never mind August, or even this time next year. Think about our expectations and hopes last July.

User avatar
Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4815
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Peak11 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:18 am

Airtricity confirmed to have extended their sponsorship. Drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things, but at least it's one of the issues dealt with.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6976
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:37 pm

https://www.dundalkfc.com/2021-academy- ... nt-set-up/ looks a good set up esp after pinching someone from rvs academy. Looks very structured and positive going forward.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:56 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by superman » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:49 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:37 pm https://www.dundalkfc.com/2021-academy- ... nt-set-up/ looks a good set up esp after pinching someone from rvs academy. Looks very structured and positive going forward.
Intresting to see Pat Hoban doing some coaching with the club. Great stuff. Surly a benefit for all when players know there is a possibility of starting a post-playing career within the club.
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

User avatar
Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4815
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Peak11 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:14 pm

superman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:49 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:37 pm https://www.dundalkfc.com/2021-academy- ... nt-set-up/ looks a good set up esp after pinching someone from rvs academy. Looks very structured and positive going forward.
Intresting to see Pat Hoban doing some coaching with the club. Great stuff. Surly a benefit for all when players know there is a possibility of starting a post-playing career within the club.
Yep looks really good. Great to see it. I wonder if Pat is already on the pyramid? No harm at all helping players get their badges.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Pepsi » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:18 pm

Really nice to see the academy taking shape. Great to see a few former players involved....

User avatar
Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4815
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Peak11 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:29 pm

Doc Connolly has left the club. Heard he was a good egg.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2146
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by oldfogey » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:53 pm

Peak11 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:29 pm Doc Connolly has left the club. Heard he was a good egg.
Sound as you will get. It would appear that good people are being discarded because they were there under the previous manager, rather than their abilities. I note a guy from Shamrock Rovers has been taken on to "help" Graham Norton. Don't need to be a rocket scientist to see the Americans are following Acquisition 1.01. Phase everybody out and replace them. The fact they might be good at their jobs is irrelevant.

User avatar
Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4815
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Peak11 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:02 pm

The previous manager, Martin, or both?

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2146
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by oldfogey » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:39 pm

Peak11 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:02 pm The previous manager, Martin, or both?
I will use the phrase "previous regime" as a catch all if that helps. Under Mike Treacy there were changes made at the very top but, by and large, it wasn't broke so they didn't try fix to it. Even after the disaster that was 2017.

Notwithstanding any difficulties that might have existed under VP, Bill's involvement in bringing the club to the edge of implosion is undeniable. His view is typical. "I am right because I am". Everything was somebody else's fault. Non believers - and close contacts - are to be cancelled.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6976
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:14 pm

oldfogey wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:39 pm
Peak11 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:02 pm The previous manager, Martin, or both?
I will use the phrase "previous regime" as a catch all if that helps. Under Mike Treacy there were changes made at the very top but, by and large, it wasn't broke so they didn't try fix to it. Even after the disaster that was 2017.

Notwithstanding any difficulties that might have existed under VP, Bill's involvement in bringing the club to the edge of implosion is undeniable. His view is typical. "I am right because I am". Everything was somebody else's fault. Non believers - and close contacts - are to be cancelled.
Or maybe just maybe they are hiring people who are A) a better fit or B) more skilled to do the job. I knock the club as much ad anyone else on here, but only if I think they deserve it. Shamrock rovers are supposed to be the bench mark for academy's in the country. They have sold at least 3-4 players now for considerable sums of money. They are doing something right. So if we poached one of the top guys from the academy then it should be deemed a coup not a slight because they are replacing a local buddy. We all want the best for the club. We have all slated peak 6 for various reasons. But lads come on they appear to be driving us forward as opposed to banking the European money. Yes it could and probably will end in tears but at least for now they seem to be very proactive.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4815
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Peak11 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:36 pm

oldfogey wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:39 pm
Peak11 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:02 pm The previous manager, Martin, or both?
I will use the phrase "previous regime" as a catch all if that helps. Under Mike Treacy there were changes made at the very top but, by and large, it wasn't broke so they didn't try fix to it. Even after the disaster that was 2017.

Notwithstanding any difficulties that might have existed under VP, Bill's involvement in bringing the club to the edge of implosion is undeniable. His view is typical. "I am right because I am". Everything was somebody else's fault. Non believers - and close contacts - are to be cancelled.
The few bits I’ve picked up about what's been going on tally with that. And unfortunately there are still a couple of well respected people that Martin brought in who are doing good work and afraid that they’re next unless Magilton is successful in pushing Bill back.

That’s not to say I think McDonnell’s team announced today is a bad thing. The opposite actually - really pleased with some of those names. So maybe it's not a surprise to see another person in there. No shortage of work anyway if we're taking youth football to another level of professionalism.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6976
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:43 am

Looking like another covid season. Government saying not a chance of large gatherings but they hope to allow outdoor gatherings of a max of 50 people in the summer.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4815
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Peak11 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:39 am

Amazing how badly they messed things up in December when we were in an ok place. And now they pretend that it’s ‘hindsight’ and no one could have predicted that allowing a two week free for all would have caused a problem. Gaslighting pricks.

Anyway after what they said last night about no holidays this summer then it seems we’ll be lucky to be back before September, if at all. Unless they’re trying to lower expectations about vaccination speed in order to do a big u-turn and claim a big win in June or something.

Post Reply