2021 season General thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by colymull » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:05 am

Gary Roger's tweeting this morning about the lack of certainty regarding the season kicking off.

https://twitter.com/1garyrogers/status/ ... 01632?s=19

Personally, as a fan I cant see us being in Oriel before late summer. Will I buy a season ticket for, at most, half a season? Probably not.
We could be still in lockdown in February if the projected number of cases of that time ring true, which may push the league starting out again. I feel for players who haven't got a wage since November and might not get another one till March/April.
Unpopular opinion here but are the board at DFC being prudent with contracts due to all this uncertainty? We might be looking back this time next year and saying they were right not to hand out long term contracts.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:01 pm

colymull wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:05 am
Unpopular opinion here but are the board at DFC being prudent with contracts due to all this uncertainty? We might be looking back this time next year and saying they were right not to hand out long term contracts.
Rovers players took a 25% pay cut last season. Would be absolutely hilarious if the same thing happens in 2021 and Ganno and Hoare are 25% down on what they would be getting here
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:07 pm

El Paso wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:46 am Might as well start the thread with the news that the season is not expected to start until at least 19th March:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/01 ... ty-sought/

That's five weeks later than last season. They're saying it will be extended to the end of November, but another shortened season already seems likely. No League Cup or Leinster Senior Cup either you would think.

We've been talking signings a lot, but quite a few clubs haven't signed anyone.
I see Athlone have made a few signings - Kurtis Byrne included.
I really wish them well, I hate to see any LOI club in such dire straits.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:18 pm

colymull wrote:Gary Roger's tweeting this morning about the lack of certainty regarding the season kicking off.

Personally, as a fan I cant see us being in Oriel before late summer. Will I buy a season ticket for, at most, half a season? Probably not.
We could be still in lockdown in February if the projected number of cases of that time ring true, which may push the league starting out again. I feel for players who haven't got a wage since November and might not get another one till March/April.
Doesn’t have to be an unpopular opinion !

DFC players were the only ones fully taken care of during Covid.

I’d say we are still offering the best wage per season in the league.

Maybe offering 3 years deals to 29/30 olds isn’t such a good idea! One of the ideas behind it was to make sure we got a transfer fee if uk club came in, how did that work out over that last few years??

Board could be saying to players, we’ll probably have no fans in most of the season so here you are, a 1 yr contract at top dollar, do well and we’ll renew it again in 2022??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:18 pm

El Paso wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:25 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:18 pm Maybe offering 3 years deals to 29/30 olds isn’t such a good idea! One of the ideas behind it was to make sure we got a transfer fee if a uk club came in, how did that work out over that last few years??
We still won the League twice, the FAI Cup twice, the League Cup once and reached the group stage of the Europa League. Those are the things that mattered. Time will tell if the new policies are as successful as the ones we've spent the last six months ripping up.
I think his point was that we offered long term deals so that if a UK team came in for our players we wouldnt lose them for nothing as per Towell, Horgan etc.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:53 pm

colymull wrote:
El Paso wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:25 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:18 pm Maybe offering 3 years deals to 29/30 olds isn’t such a good idea! One of the ideas behind it was to make sure we got a transfer fee if a uk club came in, how did that work out over that last few years??
We still won the League twice, the FAI Cup twice, the League Cup once and reached the group stage of the Europa League. Those are the things that mattered. Time will tell if the new policies are as successful as the ones we've spent the last six months ripping up.
I think his point was that we offered long term deals so that if a UK team came in for our players we wouldnt lose them for nothing as per Towell, Horgan etc.
Exactly. Doubtful somebody will pay a fee for Ganno.
As I said, if we are offering one year deals ( and we don’t know if that’s the case for EVERY player) it could be the case that we’re offering good money hence McMillan, Murray etc re signing.

How are pats, Sligo etc signing players when they claimed they were broke 6 months ago??

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:14 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:18 pm
colymull wrote:Gary Roger's tweeting this morning about the lack of certainty regarding the season kicking off.

Maybe offering 3 years deals to 29/30 olds isn’t such a good idea! One of the ideas behind it was to make sure we got a transfer fee if uk club came in, how did that work out over that last few years??

Board could be saying to players, we’ll probably have no fans in most of the season so here you are, a 1 yr contract at top dollar, do well and we’ll renew it again in 2022??

That is simply not true, Derry, Bohs and I think shels players were paid in full

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:47 pm

Shoco wrote:
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:18 pm

That is simply not true, Derry, Bohs and I think shels players were paid in full
Yes fair enough , although no doubt we had the biggest wage bill in the league

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:57 pm

Couldnt give a shite about what they got...that is the past. What are the FAI suggesting for the coming season??? How can any club seriously budget for next season when their is no official government support approved, no start date......

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:58 pm

Pepsi wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:57 pm Couldnt give a shite about what they got...that is the past. What are the FAI suggesting for the coming season??? How can any club seriously budget for next season when their is no official government support approved, no start date......
When are the budgets due for submission? Only the 4 European clubs can realistically submit any sort of budget in the current climate.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:36 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:58 pm
Pepsi wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:57 pm Couldnt give a shite about what they got...that is the past. What are the FAI suggesting for the coming season??? How can any club seriously budget for next season when their is no official government support approved, no start date......
When are the budgets due for submission? Only the 4 European clubs can realistically submit any sort of budget in the current climate.
Doubt the FAI can answer the question about budget submissions......sure they dont know if there will be government funding, if they will have a league sponsor.......how can they ask clubs to budget. At the moment clubs are planning for the unknown with the unknown.

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:00 am

Even as they go through the league’s licensing procedure various clubs admit to still being completely uncertain with regard to key elements of their budget for the coming year and Stephen McGuinness of the PFAI suggests that some will have had to take “a complete stab in the dark,” when estimating income to the association.

As things stand, no sponsor has been announced for the coming season, which is due to start on March 19th, clubs have not been told whether they can expect any funds from broadcast or streaming rights, commercial revenues have been hit and there is no indication how much the FAI might secure from the Government.

“I think the FAI did a good job to get the league finished last year,” says Shamrock Rovers chairman, Jonathan Roche
That just about highlights the shitshow surrounding the LOI. And the icing on the cake....the Chairman who voted against the rest speaks out praising the FAI.

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Post by McNultys Discopants » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Peak11 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:10 pm Wonder who's getting what squad numbers for the new season? Yes I'm bored at work. Number 2 is right back so Dummigan? Or will he keep 23 because he plays left and right? Boyle will take number 4, presumably. Will Sloggett take number 6 or will it be Sonni Nattestad or even Dan Cleary? Will Murray take number 8? Would kind of like to see a first choice 11 be numbers 1-11 for a change.
Jaysus you've little to be at. Couldn't give a fcuk what number is on a players back, more concerned over the quality of player in the shirt.

Too much time on your hands, could be time to look for different career.
Liam Carroll is a piece of shit. A fcuking leech.

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Post by McNultys Discopants » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Peak11 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:01 pm
McNultys Discopants wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 pm
Peak11 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:10 pm Wonder who's getting what squad numbers for the new season? Yes I'm bored at work. Number 2 is right back so Dummigan? Or will he keep 23 because he plays left and right? Boyle will take number 4, presumably. Will Sloggett take number 6 or will it be Sonni Nattestad or even Dan Cleary? Will Murray take number 8? Would kind of like to see a first choice 11 be numbers 1-11 for a change.
Jaysus you've little to be at. Couldn't give a fcuk what number is on a players back, more concerned over the quality of player in the shirt.

Too much time on your hands, could be time to look for different career.

Well I’ll explain! Normally you do your bit and chat to the other people and so on, but we have to work in isolation cos there’s a pandemic on. So because you’re on your own for 12 hours of a night shift you have to keep your mind occupied during the quiet bits. And sometimes that’s thinking about the state of 21st century liberal democracy and sometimes that’s thinking about squad numbers.

Fair enough.

Still little to be at!

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Post by McNultys Discopants » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:02 pm

Peak11 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 pm It’s 12 hours man. I’m not a machine. I even stop to take a dump.
Just make sure you clock out, you're not getting paid for that shit. 🙂

2021 season....could honestly see it getting pushed back to April or May and being another 18 game farce.