2021 season General thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Peak11 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:28 pm

https://www.jamesrogers.ie/dundalk-boss ... he-season/
At present up to half a dozen key players have yet to train with the rest of the squad due to injuries of varying scale.
What?!

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:48 am

Out of curiosity whats everyones preferred XI given how the squad is shaping up?

---------------Abibbi--------------
Dummigan Boyle Cleary Leahy
Duffy Shields Sloggett Mc Eleney
------------- Murray -------------
------------ Hoban --------------

Or you could go with

---------------------- Cherrie ------------------
Dummigan Nattestad Gartland Jurkovskis
Duffy Shields Stanton Kelly
Mc Millan Midtskogen

Still leaves you with Adedokun. If we are to get Parkes, and Eui Gwon thats alternative options also.

I think the only positions we are particularly light in is goals and on the wing. Looks promising IMO. Very hopeful Stanton will be the CM we were missing this past few seasons

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:35 am

Carrick_Road wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:48 am Out of curiosity whats everyones preferred XI given how the squad is shaping up?

---------------Abibbi--------------
Dummigan Boyle Cleary Leahy
Duffy Shields Sloggett Mc Eleney
------------- Murray -------------
------------ Hoban --------------

Or you could go with

---------------------- Cherrie ------------------
Dummigan Nattestad Gartland Jurkovskis
Duffy Shields Stanton Kelly
Mc Millan Midtskogen

Still leaves you with Adedokun. If we are to get Parkes, and Eui Gwon thats alternative options also.

I think the only positions we are particularly light in is goals and on the wing. Looks promising IMO. Very hopeful Stanton will be the CM we were missing this past few seasons
Realistically not one of us can answer that in the slightest. How can we? We haven't seen any of the new signings play yet. Maybe if the friendlies are streamed we can get a better look at the players and then form an opinion.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:45 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:35 am
Realistically not one of us can answer that in the slightest. How can we? We haven't seen any of the new signings play yet. Maybe if the friendlies are streamed we can get a better look at the players and then form an opinion.

Thats very true Niall, Think more than anything it shows we have numbers in depth (wanted to say strength but dont know if the new signings will kick on lol)

Hopefully we hit the ground running, We can still field an XI with plenty of experience and has played for Dundalk already by going with the first XI i put up and switching Abibi with Cherrie.

If we were to go with that XI alone, IMO would be good enough to challenge for the league and still with Kelly, McMillan, Gartland on the bench never mind any of the new signings.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:03 pm

That seems like a major red flag, coming into the season (after a long break) with so many injuries that we had to cancel a pre-season game.
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:15 pm

Something not right here with only 2 pre-season games, wonder will they try playing opposition behind closed doors without us knowing to adjust tactics etc. Wondering if the trip to Derry was maybe ruled out by the powers to be because of Covid etc.???
If we are carrying injuries or picking up injuries in pre-season, questions would have to be asked once again of the f&c coach and the training methods being used.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:01 pm

Maybe he just wants more time on the training field, then 5 or 6 games. Every manager is different, maybe he wants more time on the training field with the new signings. A lot of players from different countries. Playing a few friendlies can be useful, but he could learn as much from a in house game.
If there is more signings in the next few days then he would know more about them in training,then sticking them into friendly with no work done,

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:13 pm

Richie, if I am honest the pre-season is one issue and I agree, it could be his intention to keep them on the training field. He has enough squad wise to play matches....

However the persistant injuries has to be a concern. Fitness levels last season were questionable, this season it seems as if players are getting injured in training. If that is the case questions need to asked and things have to be changed. Would love to know how much JM has to do with the day to day stuff, would he step in and say, change x, y and x. Also interesting is that our academy manager was responsible for the 2 signings this week. He had O´Kane at Warrenpoint and seems to be the one who was in contact with Cherrie suggesting that he come in to train.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:18 pm

Yeah, the injuries would be a concern. 2 months since the last game of short season. It's happening a lot in the Premier League, but they had no pre season. A quick return from the following season.. The LOI has had a good break, so I don't know whats the issue there.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:20 pm

Pepsi wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:13 pm Richie, if I am honest the pre-season is one issue and I agree, it could be his intention to keep them on the training field. He has enough squad wise to play matches....

However the persistant injuries has to be a concern. Fitness levels last season were questionable, this season it seems as if players are getting injured in training. If that is the case questions need to asked and things have to be changed. Would love to know how much JM has to do with the day to day stuff, would he step in and say, change x, y and x. Also interesting is that our academy manager was responsible for the 2 signings this week. He had O´Kane at Warrenpoint and seems to be the one who was in contact with Cherrie suggesting that he come in to train.
Pepsi I have been saying this for over 2 yrs, especially since Kenny left. When Kenny was here our fitness levels were unmatched we were streets ahead of everyone else. Now we are almost always 2nd to every 50-50 ball and there seems to be absolutely no zip in the team. Now we are getting a lot of injuries. Not sure if the injuries are to do with the pitch, the s&c or also we have to factor in that a lot of the players are getting older and you pick up niggling injuries. But I would raise issues about the fitness levels and speed of the players.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:35 pm

The S/C coach Graham Norton was predominantly involved in GAA before he joined Dundalk. GAA players conditioning is more focused on upper body ,more physical game. Some of the Dundalk players over the last few years looked like they done too much upper body, Gartland, Sean Hoare, even McEleney.

The previous S/C coach at Dundalk Graham Byrne left Dundalk for GAA S/C https://www.the42.ie/graham-byrne-dunda ... 0-May2018/

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:01 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:20 pm
Pepsi wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:13 pm Richie, if I am honest the pre-season is one issue and I agree, it could be his intention to keep them on the training field. He has enough squad wise to play matches....

Pepsi I have been saying this for over 2 yrs, especially since Kenny left. When Kenny was here our fitness levels were unmatched we were streets ahead of everyone else. Now we are almost always 2nd to every 50-50 ball and there seems to be absolutely no zip in the team. Now we are getting a lot of injuries. Not sure if the injuries are to do with the pitch, the s&c or also we have to factor in that a lot of the players are getting older and you pick up niggling injuries. But I would raise issues about the fitness levels and speed of the players.
Niall I am 100% with you regarding the fitness levels. However the question is have our levels receeded / stagnated or is it a case of other teams improving their levels and following and improving on Kennys ideas.
Injuries cannot be solely blamed on the pitch, many clubs around the world are playing on the surface. I would imagine it has a lot to do with age and s&c. As we all noticed last season, some of our players looked slow and top heavy, the question is....was this down to the break or was it down to the training plans given to players during the off time.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:28 pm

Is it not a rumour that the Derry game is postponed because of injuries?. Anyway, I don’t think you can blame FG or preseason for injuries . The only 3 we are certain of are Fats, Murray and Duffy because FG mentioned them. 2 out of those 3 are always injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:30 pm

Richie87 wrote:The S/C coach Graham Norton was predominantly involved in GAA before he joined Dundalk. GAA players conditioning is more focused on upper body ,more physical game. Some of the Dundalk players over the last few years looked like they done too much upper body, Gartland, Sean Hoare, even McEleney.

The previous S/C coach at Dundalk Graham Byrne left Dundalk for GAA S/C https://www.the42.ie/graham-byrne-dunda ... 0-May2018/
I thought Norton came from Bohs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:37 pm

You're right was with Bohemians, forgot about that